Check out my freshly painted tank!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this black tank sitting around for awhile.. It needed some work done to the fuel pump mount. I fixed that a little while ago and have been waiting to mount it up but wanted to paint it first.. So I masked it off and sanded it last night, and tonight I took the spray can to it.. I think it turned out pretty damn good! What do u think??

2tonetank1.jpg

2tonetank2.jpg

Im gonna mount it up tomorrow night.. I have already painted a silver triangle on my rear cowl to match and now Im gonna put a silver stripe on the front fender to finish it all off.. It should look SICK

Thanks for looking!

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The stripe looks very well placed....looking forward to seeing it all together.

W

wrightme43

Looks good man. My experince is that unless it has a urathane clear though it will be destroyed by gas droplets.

Also if you do decide to paint real clear over spray paint it will bubble and peal up horribley.

I am not knocking you at all, just I have done the same things and learned the hard way.

Also do not NOT NOT NOT you plastic bumper stripper on your abs plastic panels. Turns them into goo.

Hope it helps some in the future.

Best bet is red scuff pads, scuff the whole tank, sand or strip off the spray paint, draw what you want for your tank, and have it painted proffessionally with quality fuel resistant paint.

Steve

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks horn! Love the choice of colour for the stripe...nice job. :D

Thanks! Its a metallic silver that has tiny flakes in it.. The entire garage is covered in tiny airborne flakes too :) I do plan to put a clear coat on it before mounting it because I dont want it getting scratched by my jacket or messed up by gas..

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
looks ok, but im sorry to tell you that spray paint does not have even close to the UV protection of true paint. After a month (tops) in the sun, your paint is most likely going to be falling off, or hazed to an insanely gross grey color.
spray bomb clear coat =/= real clear coat. Even our BASF spray paint clears are solely for spray out cards, or inners. they have zero resistance.

You can use plastic paint stripper (plastic parts Tal-strip) on ABS plastic if you know what you're doing. I do it once a week on bumpers that are peeling. However, if you werent aware of why you DO NOT spray paint your car/motorcycle im highly skeptical you have the proffessional knowledge or abilities to use that product properly. If it sits for SECONDS too long, you will destroy your plastic and need mass amounts of a high build urethane based primer (again, NOT spray bomb primer) to get your panels back to normal.

Not to mention your factory paint has the highest adhesion possible to achieve, you should never strip your factory paint for no reason, simply paint over top of a prepared substrate.

spraypaint doesnt work because its a thermoplastic 1K paint. You need a catalyst/activator/resin mixed in with pigment and solvents in order to have a true paint that will actually stick.

Im sorry to be saying all this, but I didnt go through 2 years of school and 5 years of apprenticeship to become a professional refinisher if Joe Smith could grab a rattle can and actually get results thatll last more than a week. Spray paint costs $20, there is no way it will ever have the same durability, adhesion, weatherability or resistance to UV as true automotive paint... It is about $200 in materials to paint just a gas tank in a quality paint.

It looks awesome, but IMO you need to stop immedietly and take it to an autobody shop. they will be able to see what you want, strip that garbage off and put real paint off.

If you have any questions as to the proccess, composition or theory behind paint feel free to PM otherwise best of luck with it.

PS: you dont want to use a urethane clear, it takes way to long to set-up and cure and it will never have the same gloss as a quality clear coat. Urethane is used on off-road, fleet, commercial vehicles and on tanker trucks ETC
You either want an acrylic urethane enamel or an acrylic enamel based clear coat that requires a resin solvent and additives.

Last edited:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
looks ok, but im sorry to tell you that spray paint does not have even close to the UV protection of true paint. After a month (tops) in the sun, your paint is most likely going to be falling off, or hazed to an insanely gross grey color.
spray bomb clear coat =/= real clear coat. Even our BASF spray paint clears are solely for spray out cards, or inners. they have zero resistance.

You can use plastic paint stripper (plastic parts Tal-strip) on ABS plastic if you know what you're doing. I do it once a week on bumpers that are peeling. However, if you werent aware of why you DO NOT spray paint your car/motorcycle im highly skeptical you have the proffessional knowledge or abilities to use that product properly. If it sits for SECONDS too long, you will destroy your plastic and need mass amounts of a high build urethane based primer (again, NOT spray bomb primer) to get your panels back to normal.

Not to mention your factory paint has the highest adhesion possible to achieve, you should never strip your factory paint for no reason, simply paint over top of a prepared substrate.

spraypaint doesnt work because its a thermoplastic 1K paint. You need a catalyst/activator/resin mixed in with pigment and solvents in order to have a true paint that will actually stick.

Im sorry to be saying all this, but I didnt go through 2 years of school and 5 years of apprenticeship to become a professional refinisher if Joe Smith could grab a rattle can and actually get results thatll last more than a week. Spray paint costs $20, there is no way it will ever have the same durability, adhesion, weatherability or resistance to UV as true automotive paint... It is about $200 in materials to paint just a gas tank in a quality paint.

It looks awesome, but IMO you need to stop immedietly and take it to an autobody shop. they will be able to see what you want, strip that garbage off and put real paint off.

If you have any questions as to the proccess, composition or theory behind paint feel free to PM otherwise best of luck with it.

PS: you dont want to use a urethane clear, it takes way to long to set-up and cure and it will never have the same gloss as a quality clear coat. Urethane is used on off-road, fleet, commercial vehicles and on tanker trucks ETC
You either want an acrylic urethane enamel or an acrylic enamel based clear coat that requires a resin solvent and additives.

Its a silver stripe on a back up tank I had laying around... No big deal.. but thanks for the ton of paint info....

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!! hmm hmmm mm ph..... back to the Awesome paint scheme......I like the black and silver together on the tank..the colors work very well with the curvy physic of the tank....EXCELLENT JOB!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

joeveto

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great.

I painted one of my cars with thinned Rustoleum. Used a tight foam roller. Everyone said I was nuts, the paint would strip, salt and sunlight would destroy it.

That was a year and many miles ago. Still looks great (for what it is, i.e. not a $2000 paint job). I also painted a bike with a rattle can and clear coat, some years ago. It looked great and held up great (again, for what it was, not an $800 pro job).

I don't have a ton of experience. But my years of schooling (in absolutely nothing automotive) tells me it's a screaming success (mostly because I didn't pay someone who went to school for it, and saved some serious $$$$).

Would I do this for any of my daily drivers or something I REALLY cared about? Heck no. But would I do this on a bike, or a tank I had laying around? You bet.

Great job!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great.

I painted one of my cars with thinned Rustoleum. Used a tight foam roller. Everyone said I was nuts, the paint would strip, salt and sunlight would destroy it.

That was a year and many miles ago. Still looks great (for what it is, i.e. not a $2000 paint job). I also painted a bike with a rattle can and clear coat, some years ago. It looked great and held up great (again, for what it was, not an $800 pro job).

I don't have a ton of experience. But my years of schooling (in absolutely nothing automotive) tells me it's a screaming success (mostly because I didn't pay someone who went to school for it, and saved some serious $$$$).

Would I do this for any of my daily drivers or something I REALLY cared about? Heck no. But would I do this on a bike, or a tank I had laying around? You bet.

Great job!

Thanks a lot.. I knew there were groups of people and forums dedicated to painting cars using paint rollers and spray cans etc... with awesome results.. Sure it isnt a "pro" job but im not painting an Enzo here.. Its a 60 dollar ebay tank and I think it looks AWESOME, best spray can paint job I have ever done.. It came out super smooth, deep color, uniform color and shine, very sharp cut off lines, etc...
Thanks again guys!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot.. I knew there were groups of people and forums dedicated to painting cars using paint rollers and spray cans etc... with awesome results.. Sure it isnt a "pro" job but im not painting an Enzo here.. Its a 60 dollar ebay tank and I think it looks AWESOME, best spray can paint job I have ever done.. It came out super smooth, deep color, uniform color and shine, very sharp cut off lines, etc...
Thanks again guys!

It does look really good bro. Keep us informed on how it holds up.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A guy across the road from me used to paint this old Peugeot with what looked like Hammerite or similar using a paint brush :eek:, every summer he'd give it a quick coat. Looked really terrible, no rust thou.:D

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job on the tank, are you a Raiders fan or something? I am more of a Eagles fan (insert jeers here) so maybe when I paint my Sportsters' tank it might be green and white!!:thumbup:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job on the tank, are you a Raiders fan or something? I am more of a Eagles fan (insert jeers here) so maybe when I paint my Sportsters' tank it might be green and white!!:thumbup:

Ha.. There were no football team influences behind the paint scheme.. I just like how the silver looks on black and its kinda the theme I have goin on the whole bike.. Thanks though!

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site

Raiders fan HA! I'm a 9er fan myself, but I do sort of like the
Raiders, but only because they're close to me. I live near Sacramento, only about an hour and a half from the Raiders. But BOTH of my teams really sucked today :thumbdown: But the Eagles, my 3rd team, did great. :thumbup:
And by the way, your tank looks awesome. I hope the paint holds up for you. And, NO, I'm not going to paint mine red and gold.