Cheap levers -- is this typical?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I snagged a pair of black on black CNC levers from a US eBay reseller the other week. Shipping time was great because this particular supplier had them in the US (not China).

That said, I guess I get what I pay for. The levers were nice and in good condition. Only issue -- out of 6 adjustments, neither lever adjusts to positions 1 or 6.

The little clicker in the adjuster lever doesn't "lock" into the machined bevels for the 1st and 6th positions:

1st position

View attachment 55377

6th position

View attachment 55378

I've been talking to the seller on eBay. English is bad, but he offered to send me a replacement set. Just making me wait 2 weeks from China, which is bogus because his eBay listing for the style I chose still works.

Is this common with the cheaper levers? I may not even need those endpoints for adjustments, but I also wanna get what I paid for AND/OR make sure they're safe to use.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I snagged a pair of black on black CNC levers from a US eBay reseller the other week. Shipping time was great because this particular supplier had them in the US (not China).

That said, I guess I get what I pay for. The levers were nice and in good condition. Only issue -- out of 6 adjustments, neither lever adjusts to positions 1 or 6.

The little clicker in the adjuster lever doesn't "lock" into the machined bevels for the 1st and 6th positions:

1st position

View attachment 55377

6th position

View attachment 55378

I've been talking to the seller on eBay. English is bad, but he offered to send me a replacement set. Just making me wait 2 weeks from China, which is bogus because his eBay listing for the style I chose still works.

Is this common with the cheaper levers? I may not even need those endpoints for adjustments, but I also wanna get what I paid for AND/OR make sure they're safe to use.

There are a couple of threads on this. Do a search and it should come up. Some are OK and some are not. To your point, don't use ones that jump. Its not worth your life!
I know i posted in one of those threads... My user name and safety should land something.

Bottom line is, safety matters and you are paying for something to work and not put you at risk. There are lots out there with no issues but some fail...

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set I bought from eBay and I love them. I would take a closer look at the locating nubs. There might actually be 6 positions, the engraved numbers just might not match up exactly.

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a $29 pair back in June, so far so good. The only complaint I have is that where the clutch lever attaches to the perch, the mounting hole is a little too large. It just makes the lever have a little play up and down. The brake lever doesn't have this issue the hole size is spot on. I really loved what bringing the clutch lever closer to the grip and shortening the length did for the touchy, grabby feel of the fz's clutch engagement.

The set I purchased: US SHIP Brake Clutch Levers for Yamaha XJ6 Diversion ABS 04 2012 FZ6R 2009 2011 | eBay

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a $29 pair back in June, so far so good. The only complaint I have is that where the clutch lever attaches to the perch, the mounting hole is a little too large. It just makes the lever have a little play up and down. The brake lever doesn't have this issue the hole size is spot on. I really loved what bringing the clutch lever closer to the grip and shortening the length did for the touchy, grabby feel of the fz's clutch engagement.

The set I purchased: US SHIP Brake Clutch Levers for Yamaha XJ6 Diversion ABS 04 2012 FZ6R 2009 2011 | eBay
You need to take the brass bushing out of the stock clutch lever and press it into the new one. Then you won't have any play.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set I bought from eBay and I love them. I would take a closer look at the locating nubs. There might actually be 6 positions, the engraved numbers just might not match up exactly.

I can only adjust -- off the bike -- to 4 of the 6 positions. The adjusters otherwise sit on the edge of the beveling or straight up click back one positions.

Would installing them give a different experience? With the clutch cable connected? This is of no help on the brake side, mind you.

I'm still holding out for this guy to send me a new set. Now the seller is down to a 1 week wait for China delivery.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Try going with The2wheels.com Based on my research online, it's the older versions that have been giving issues. The other sellers on ebay, seem to be selling the older versions to what The2Wheels were selling.

vs.jpg

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Giving the eBay seller a few days to get black ones in again. Otherwise I'll leave him appropriately bad feedback and maybe just wait it out a while. I really wanted the adjustability. I'll look into the2wheels.com levers in the meantime, thx.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: Bought a pair in 2011-12. Black, color faded over 2 years. Bike fell and snapped one. No issues with jumping on either side from any position.

Bought another pair 2013-09. Color is fading but not as bad as the first. No jumping on this set either.

This is the first set, notice bronze like color. One observation is you could take and swap left to right and vice vrs. Now we can tan the other side! :disapprove::disapprove:
IMG_20130420_165225_838WEB_zps6402f25a.jpg

cupcake

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a set of the ones from China - work a treat for me, no issues at all.

Always one of the first things I buy for a new bike cos I have such small hands I need adjustable levers to make clutch use easier for me. Have always bought the Chinese ones - never had a problem with any set
:thumbup:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got the second pair from the eBay seller. Minor improvement, but more questions...

Clutch lever position 1 works better...

View attachment 55557

However, 2nd clutch seems to be missing a brass bushing...? Is this a deal breaker? I've not yet tried to fit it on the bike.

View attachment 55558

Clutch lever position 6 works better now too...

View attachment 55560

Brakes are about the same. Not full engagement in position 1, but better in position 6. No bushing differences here.

View attachment 55561

Is the 2nd clutch usable? Anyone seen one of these cheap levers with or without the brass busing?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
You actually have to press the bushing out of the stock clutch lever to get that clutch lever to work. I had the same question until I pulled my stock clutch lever off and saw the bushing in there.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
You actually have to press the bushing out of the stock clutch lever to get that clutch lever to work. I had the same question until I pulled my stock clutch lever off and saw the bushing in there.

I'm gonna try putting the 2nd set on tonight then. Tired of waiting weeks for the perfect $30 set of Chinese levers. As long as they're safe on hard pulls, I'll keep them.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
So... Is there a trick to getting the clutch to disengage properly? I installed the new lever and cannot pull the clutch in and freely roll the bike back and forth. I can feel the the clutch sticking while rolling the bike back and forth.

Here's the clutch lever installed...

View attachment 55564

In the process of removing the original lever, I did manage to tear up this little plastic piece -- is this part critical to installation? The little plastic clutch cable end piece?

View attachment 55565

Final question -- is this sufficient to lubricate the lever?

View attachment 55566

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Try adjusting the cable before you lube anything. For me, it was a direct swap from the old levers to the new ones, but you may need to adjust the clutch cable to engage and disengage correctly.

As far as I know, there are two adjusters (by the lever, and under the tank). Try the one by the lever first, obviously.