chatter from front brakes

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last week or son, I have noticed a weird chattering feeling from my front brakes. It only happens when I am braking lightly from 20-0. It doesn't happen when I am going faster or when I brake harder.

I know it is not the front tire skipping (I know what that feels like), but it feels more mechanical.

I am thinking it has to do with my brakes but I can't find anything right off. Could it be the head bearing is either too loose or worn out? I have checked to see if there was any free play in the bearing by putting it on the center stand and feeling for looseness in the forks but felt nothing.

If any of you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last week or son, I have noticed a weird chattering feeling from my front brakes. It only happens when I am braking lightly from 20-0. It doesn't happen when I am going faster or when I brake harder.

I know it is not the front tire skipping (I know what that feels like), but it feels more mechanical.

I am thinking it has to do with my brakes but I can't find anything right off. Could it be the head bearing is either too loose or worn out? I have checked to see if there was any free play in the bearing by putting it on the center stand and feeling for looseness in the forks but felt nothing.

If any of you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Check all the caliber bolts as well as the axel and axel pinch bolt, make sure their all torqued to spec. You may jack the front wheel up (centerstand and maybe a sizzor jack under the header). While the wheel is off the ground, move the entire fork/ft assembly forward and backward to check for ANY PLAY. While up, check for run out of discs themselves. You shouldn't be able to see any side to side run out. Probably not a problem but rotate the front wheel itself and make sure the wheel turns smoothly (wheel bearings are ok).. Also check the brake pads aren't worn out(again, probably not the problem)..

Scott

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. I did check all those things and everything was tight and there is absolutely no play in the fork assembly. After your post, I checked the run out of the discs and there was none and they wheel turns smoothly and the pads are still in good shape. I am somewhat lost. It makes me kinda nervous to ride a bit. Oh also, once when it happened, I quickly released the brakes and reapplied them and it went away for. So if anyone has any other ideas please throw them my way.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
is yours also a somewhat rare occurance? Mine will sometimes happen once every few days or even weeks.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Shot in the dark here....

Is there a gap between the fork (the side with the pinch bolt) and the collar? (See service manual page 4-1.) There shouldn't be any horizontal freeplay.
The inside of that fork should be flush or almost flush with the collar.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
That was my initial thought, but when I have it on the center stand and the front fork raised off the ground, I cannot get ANY movement forward, backward, or side to side. It feels solid as a rock.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished replacing my steering bearings. First indications were chattering under braking and little looseness over small bumps in the pavement. MAYN times I checked the front and NO play. Gradually got worse until I tightened the bearings then gradually came back. Took it apart and the lower bearing was somewhat rusty. Replaced with All Balls which I had ordered when I first adjusted the bearings. Not the easiest job but my bike wrenching skills moved up a notch.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I figured that is what it was...so I tore down my front end and got to the bearings and to my surprise they still had a ton of grease on the top and bottom bearings. So while I was there I repacked them and put it back together. So far I haven't had any chatter, but I havent ridden much because of weather recently. So I am hoping that it was just because they were starting to get loose. But time will tell.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have the same problem. Mine started shortly after I switched over to R6 forks so I was very concerned. I went back over everything with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find any issues with the brakes or forks themselves. The front end suspension also feels rock solid so I don't think it is a setup issue with the forks themselves. I took it into the shop and had them take a test ride on it. After a curisory inspection he said it is probably chatter from the floating disc brakes and the better shocks of the R6 forks may be allowing me to feel it more. I'm not sure if that is true or not. I have asked for all balls steering head bearings for christmas and plan to do the swap at my next major service as preventive maintenance so we will see if that makes a change.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Check to see if the discs are floating by grabbing the disk and forcing it to move clockwise / anti clockwise. If there is no “cluck cluck sound” the floaters have seized and you’ll have to release them. Releasing the floaters is easily done by washing them with a little solvent and applying a little oil. Be careful not to get solvent or oil on the brake pads and braking surface of the disc. Once the floaters are loose, the chatter should disappear. The floaters are the round rivet thingies in the disc.

FZ6-ZN

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So I checked my brakes and could not get them to "Clunk"...infact I couldn't get them to move at all. Should I see them move to get the clunk? That seems kinda weird. Are they suppose to be loose enough to clunk.

But I am going to clean them today with some brake cleaner today and I let you know if I notice a difference. As I said above, I have not noticed any chatter once I tightened up my HBs. But I'll let y'all know if there is anything different after I clean it.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
So I checked my brakes and could not get them to "Clunk"...infact I couldn't get them to move at all. Should I see them move to get the clunk? That seems kinda weird. Are they suppose to be loose enough to clunk.

But I am going to clean them today with some brake cleaner today and I let you know if I notice a difference. As I said above, I have not noticed any chatter once I tightened up my HBs. But I'll let y'all know if there is anything different after I clean it.

Sax, there should be about 0.5mm (clockwise/anti-clockwise) movement between the fixed section bolted to the hub and the floating section. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up more uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminium bell. This allows the disc to be used under severe conditions without having a detrimental effect.

FZ6-ZN

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all,

just read this thread as i am having the same issue, is there any more updates as to whether the cleaning helped ? could do with knowing before i start taking stuff apart.

cheers.:thumbup:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this what you guys are talking about with the bobbins on the floating disk brakes. From the information I could find, factory disks are not suppose to have much movement, although some in and out is normal. I think the clunk/clunk as described would be considered excessive wear on a factory disk set-up although I could be wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoPqN2GBdw]Delboy's Garage, How-To Free up 'motorcycle brake disc bobbins'.! - YouTube[/ame]

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Tyler. I liked the video so well I did it today - freed up the "floaters" on my front brake discs. Instead of the shoulder nut used in the video, I just used a hex head bolt and nut, with a fender washer on each end (on each side of the floaters). Most of the floaters moved readily after a shot of brake cleaner. Some of them, however, were stuck fast and really hard to move. After I snugged up the nut and bolt, I gave each floater three or four rotations. My only mistake was using a bolt that was pretty thin for the size of the hole in the floaters. It would have gone easier and better if I had used the largest diameter bolt that would fit through the hole in the floater. I'll be adding this to my periodic maintenance list, for the future.
- - - Happy fixin', Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.