Charging system is action weird. Bike chugging!

Hmm - oh Cliff........

I think the disparity comes from what we start with and and what we end with.

Rectifier capacity - - - - -: 25.0 A VS 35A
Withstand voltage - - - --: 240.0 V VS 200V

We need to know the wire gauge of the R6 in the stator and the number of turns around each poll. I suspect we have a smaller wire dia with more total windings giving a higher voltage but the small wire dia limits the current.

Requesting a good hi res photo of R6 stator. Anyone? Maybe even measure the wire diameter??? PLEASE! :thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Fleebay R6 from 2006 up..
attachment.php

Supposedly from 2003 down...
attachment.php

PhotoAl!! Thanks! :thumbup:
50017d1378519080-charging-system-action-weird-bike-chugging-sm_dsc0248.jpg

All have 6 coils per phase so it seems very likely one could rewind for more output if they like.

^^ - YO!!!!
For the record I never said or implied bolt up R6 stator. The BIG OBSERVATION is one system has a 25A potential while the other has 35A. However - both are rated NEAR THE SAME output in WATTS 310 vs 300 which is somewhat puzzling.

Just exploring options if someone wants to dig in.

Hmm - oh Cliff........

I think the disparity comes from what we start with and and what we end with.

Rectifier capacity - - - - -: 25.0 A VS 35A
Withstand voltage - - - --: 240.0 V VS 200V

We need to know the wire gauge of the R6 in the stator and the number of turns around each poll. I suspect we have a smaller wire dia with more total windings giving a higher voltage but the small wire dia limits the current.

Requesting a good hi res photo of R6 stator. Anyone? Maybe even measure the wire diameter??? PLEASE! :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like the R1 has the best of both:

Magneto/stator:
Coil output: 14 V/32 A at 5,000 r/min

RR
Model (manufacturer) FH001 (SHINDENGEN)
No-load regulated voltage 14.1 ~ 14.9 V
Rectifier capacity 35 A
Withstand voltage 200 V
NO OUTPUT WATTAGE LISTED.....

Notice both the RR and Stator are rated at 32+ Amps!! The R1 also has a 10A battery. One could install A RR from either R1/R6 and with the proper wire & having the stator rewound have a system capable of 360++ Watts. At least it looks possible. Simply have to do it to find out.
- I have no issues with charging so I'm out but will help someone if they have a need.

OK - I found this interesting; R6 vs FZ6

Our brother the R6: _________________: FZ6
System type: A.C. magneto _____________: FZ6 = A.C. magneto
Model (manufacturer): LLZ68 (DENSO)_____: FZ6 = F5VX/MORIC
Normal output: 14V, 300W 5,000 r/min____: FZ6 = 14.0V 310W, 5000 r/min
Stator coil resistance/color: 0.18 ~ 0.26 Ω at 20C (68F)/W-W_: FZ6 0.22–0.34 Ω at 20°C (68°F)

Notice the minor difference 300W vs 310W total output?
Take note that the bike came equipped with factory dual headlights rated at 55W each. Notice below their battery drops from 10Ah to 8Ah... IMO - thats likely about weight reduction an the charging system likely has more output to make off for the reduced capacity.

R6 BATTERY:
Battery type: GT9B-4
Battery voltage/capacity: 12 V/8 Ah___ FZ6: 12V 10Ah
Specific gravity: 1.320
Manufacturer: GS
Ten hour rate amperage: 0.8A

Obviously Yamaha never thought they'd sit in traffic! aha - but wait, there's MORE!!!! So they run a battery with less Ah capacity and run dual head lights. How you ask?

FZ6 RR is rated at 25A
R6 RR is rated at 35A but both are 300W? FSM Error or could we pickup 10A?

Rectifier/regulator - - - -: FZ6 FZ6 FZ6 - - - - - - R6 R6 R6
Regulator type: Semi conductor-short circuit _____
Model/manufacturer: SH719AA/SHINDENGEN ______: SH713AA (SHINDENGEN)
No load regulated voltage -: 14.1–14.9 V _________: 14.1 ~ 14.9 V
Rectifier capacity - - - - -: 25.0 A ______________: 35A
Withstand voltage - - - --:240.0 V ______________: 200V

So, the question is; could the FZ6 stator/magneto handle another 10A? If not, we know someone who can rewind them with the proper gauge wire and pick up 10A! but this doesn't explain the discrepancy with the wattage: W = V * I
Which should come out like this:
FZ6 = 12V X 25A = 300W
R6 = 12V X 35A = 420W

So what gives???????? I suspect the R6 can handle a higher momentary load and recover. However if the stator was asked to sustain 420W as requested from the RR the Stator burns up. :don'tknow::don'tknow::don'tknow::don'tknow:

Actual device ratings, even though they may be true and accurate ratings, may not reflect the homologation of these parts because of other components tying devices together as well as ambient/physical conditions that negate the overall component ratings. So a complete charging system ratings may be a result of optimal numbers engineers have come up with based on collective data and component ratings and not a single device rating.
Economic feasibility study may be a large component in manufacturing costs, hence shareholders help to design products. :) We might see components that are capable of better power delivery but the bike has to be manufactured at a specific price and yield a specific profit.

Look at the cc rating of a bike. A thousand cc bike is really (in my case) a 996 cc motor. My understanding is this originally had to do with insurance laws. You mean.... you mean.... I don't ride a liter bike? Lol!

Good points and observation! Maybe switching to the R6 R/R and increasing cross section of wire to deliver the wattage to the battery is the way to improve the lower wattage dilemma for the FZ6? :rockon:

Last edited:
Back