Charging problem

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This thread will be used to continued trouble shooting on a hijacked thread so as to continue the trouble shooting.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You just can't trust those fargin' Jersey folks! Ask me how I know :)

Lol! the heavier accent used to change just south of Keansburg. Ask me how I know!

Exit 100, 105 or 109.

Not again! Should we make another thread for GSP exits. Scott's from Long Island. Youz guyz tawk funny!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! the heavier accent used to change just south of Keansburg. Ask me how I know!

Exit 100, 105 or 109.

Not again! Should we make another thread for GSP exits. Scott's from Long Island. Youz guyz tawk funny!

That don't count anymore (LI). Left there in 1979 and ain't looked back!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That don't count anymore (LI). Left there in 1979 and ain't looked back!!

I left North Bellmore in 1979. I went back for college '81-'85. Then I never looked back. I've been in NJ since '88.

Another 'jacked thread. Pablo better get in here with some data soon or we're gonna have to start yet another thread.

pizza_pablo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
rps20200504_170015.jpgrps20200504_164759.jpg
From the back of the stator connector, with the Regulator connector disconnected, all 3 pairs are 71v AC at 5000 RPM.
With the stator connector disconnected all 3 pairs of female tabs show continuity.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good news on the stator voltage, it’s right at the sweet spot. I just want to make sure I understand your second test. Did you find continuity between all of the wires from the same connector that you checked AC voltage, or was it the other side?

Did you ever voltage directly from the battery?

pizza_pablo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good news on the stator voltage, it’s right at the sweet spot. I just want to make sure I understand your second test. Did you find continuity between all of the wires from the same connector that you checked AC voltage, or was it the other side?

Did you ever voltage directly from the battery?
I checked for resistance with the Regulator disconnected (first pic)
And the stator disconnected, with the meter on the stator plug terminals (second pic)

The long list of bike states and voltages, above, were taken directly at the battery terminals.

Looking at the SAE connector on the battery, I wondered if the terminals were loose. I got less than a quarter turn on the negative, and nothing on the positive.

How can the voltage readings be good, but the continuity bad?

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked for resistance with the Regulator disconnected (first pic)
And the stator disconnected, with the meter on the stator plug terminals (second pic)

The long list of bike states and voltages, above, were taken directly at the battery terminals.

Looking at the SAE connector on the battery, I wondered if the terminals were loose. I got less than a quarter turn on the negative, and nothing on the positive.

How can the voltage readings be good, but the continuity bad?

When you perform the continuity test, check each stator wire to ground. No continuity is good, any continuity is bad. Now check wire to wire: Wire1 to Wire2, Wire2 to Wire3, and Wire3 to Wire1. You should see about .5 ohm resistance. Any open is bad, any continuity is good.

The stator can make full power without load, but collapse under load if the coils are fried.

pizza_pablo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you perform the continuity test, check each stator wire to ground. No continuity is good, any continuity is bad. Now check wire to wire: Wire1 to Wire2, Wire2 to Wire3, and Wire3 to Wire1. You should see about .5 ohm resistance. Any open is bad, any continuity is good.

The stator can make full power without load, but collapse under load if the coils are fried.
I only checked continuity wire to wire on the plug.
I'll check wire to ground right now.

pizza_pablo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I disconnected the Regulator and the stator.
Stator connector wires to everything on the bike that could be a ground, tank mount bolts, rear axle bolt, engine bolts, all open.