changing to R6 forks

speedfreak

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear about people switching out there front forks for R6 if anyone would'nt mind what are the bennfits of doing that? I was just wondering.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Much better suspension. You get a front end that is soft and soaks up bumps like they weren't even there. And it's a fully adjustable front suspension.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with both other responses, the other route is to go for a fork upgrade, i have just put Racetech Springs, changed oil, and inserted gold valve emulators, and the difference is night & day. Fork upgarde option is a lot cheaper here in oz, and with Emulators, you do get the ability to adjust your OEM fork settings.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About $600 Australian, including labour to build and set up. A set of R6 forks with all the necessary bits in Oz starts at over $1000, more likely, closer to $2000.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
there is a good sportrider (online mag) article on the benefits of cartridge forks over damping rod forks. you should be able to google it. in short, the threshold of control under hard riding conditions goes up.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
About $600 Australian, including labour to build and set up. A set of R6 forks with all the necessary bits in Oz starts at over $1000, more likely, closer to $2000.

**** dude
i got my forks and brakes for under $700 aus from the US :) and that included a few other parts as well

was this wrecker prices or OEM?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
**** dude
i got my forks and brakes for under $700 aus from the US :) and that included a few other parts as well

was this wrecker prices or OEM?

Well that would be by far the best price i could imagine for Oz, good job. :thumbup:

Will say this, that $600 included putting the new springs, shims, etc in, riding the bike, and tuning it. I dont have the nouse to do the work myself, and i definitely dont know anywhere near enough about suspension to tune it.

Very happy with the job, there is heaps of info about the mod's i did to my front end in the Australian section of this forum, if your interested.

I must admit the R6 fork option is the more desirable option.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the R6 has a more sport oriented suspension that is also fully adjustable, buck better for aggressive riding and will give you a more stable feel for even street cruising.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
2003/04 R6 forks, or 2006+ R6S Forks will work. They just can't be the inverted forks from the newer R6 models... there is a really long writeup on SBN (not sure if I'm allowed to link or not) if you're really interested in pursuing this.

My R6 conversion..

Forks 2003 R6 +calipers+Axle/Bolt $280.50 shipped from ebay.
New pads + Galfer SS brake lines+ fork oil combo $150
Shims $23
1kg springs $100 shipped (I'm a big guy)

Total $553.50

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that would be by far the best price i could imagine for Oz, good job. :thumbup:

Will say this, that $600 included putting the new springs, shims, etc in, riding the bike, and tuning it. I dont have the nouse to do the work myself, and i definitely dont know anywhere near enough about suspension to tune it.

Very happy with the job, there is heaps of info about the mod's i did to my front end in the Australian section of this forum, if your interested.

I must admit the R6 fork option is the more desirable option.

ahh thats a fair point :)

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, ok :) I wonder if the USD-forks from the newer models would work..? That would look sweet.. + radial mounted calipers...:drool:

no they wont as the usd are a larger diam tube and will not fit in the tripples

if u wanted to u could get a custom made tripple :p

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the r6 fork legs shorter than the fz6's, or are they the same? Will the riding position change after installing the r6 forks?