Changed suspension setting

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 90% sure I remember reading in my FZ6 owner's manual that they have a recommended rear shock setting based on rider weight and 175 lbs was more like a 3 or 4. If you have it set on "1" at 175 lbs and hit a large bump the rear shock may actually bottom out which would cause a huge jolt to the bike which could upset it enough to cause a crash. Keep that in mind too. Softer isn't always better.

Well you're a 100% wrong :rolleyes:. The manual doesn't mention any weight or recommend any settings.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me once on a public road, but unfortunately I didn't manage to accelerate to stabilize the bike :(

So I fell going about 120-130km/h

Watching this vid brought up memories! :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Setting the preload to an extreme setting doesn't make it go from:

1: awesome comfort mode

to

max setting: awesome sport mode

That's not how it works. You are adjusting your preload. That means you are adjusting what your suspension is using as the weight sitting on it. If your preload is not set up for the weight the suspension will be supporting, then your rear wheel will not be responding to the ground in the correct manner.

Having your preload set too low will make it likely that in a situation your bike hits a heavy dip or something you will bottom out your rear suspension and possibly have another crash.

Having your preload set too high will mean the suspension will not be responding adequately and you will have shortened your wheelbase slightly and unnecessarily if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, set your preload based on the principle of free sag and rider sag. Google and youtube will show you how. It's an easy process that just needs an extra set of hands.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I've never changed the preload before and I figured I should play with it given I'm a big dude. The manual isn't terribly specific on this, I think I figured out what "special wrench" means (the hook looking thing) but when I tried to adjust it, the thing wouldn't budge. It may be that after two years of riding it's going to need some extra oomph but that metal doesn't look like it could take a lot of torque so I just want to make sure I'm a) using the right tool and b) not missing something that'd be obvious to the mechanically inclined. I'm just sticking the wrench in from the side and try to turn it.

Please forgive my mechanical stupidity. Thanks guys. :)

Last edited:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never changed the preload before and I figured I should play with it given I'm a big dude. The manual isn't terribly specific on this, I think I figured out what "special wrench" means (the hook looking thing) but when I tried to adjust it, the thing wouldn't budge. It may be that after two years of riding it's going to need some extra oomph but that metal doesn't look like it could take a lot of torque so I just want to make sure I'm a) using the right tool and b) not missing something that'd be obvious to the mechanically inclined. I'm just sticking the wrench in from the side and try to turn it.

Please forgive my mechanical stupidity. Thanks guys. :)

That's the special tool allright. It's not an easy turn, but do you have the bike on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground? Might help. I've done mine at 3 and 4 years, I'm a small dude (ie not incredibly strong) and I don't wash my bike much so it's possible.

Oh hell, I know - did you put the extension on the spanner wrench handle? Notice the spanner is tapered at the end of the handle, and look in the tool kit for a hollow metal handle extension about 6 inches long. Put that on it if you didn't. And if you did, find something longer for more leverage.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 90% sure I remember reading in my FZ6 owner's manual that they have a recommended rear shock setting based on rider weight and 175 lbs was more like a 3 or 4. If you have it set on "1" at 175 lbs and hit a large bump the rear shock may actually bottom out which would cause a huge jolt to the bike which could upset it enough to cause a crash. Keep that in mind too. Softer isn't always better.

Well said! :thumbup:

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Oh hell, I know - did you put the extension on the spanner wrench handle? Notice the spanner is tapered at the end of the handle, and look in the tool kit for a hollow metal handle extension about 6 inches long. Put that on it if you didn't. And if you did, find something longer for more leverage.

Good call! That did it. I cranked it down to one (it was at 3 as promised). Definitely feels different. It's been feeling a little off lately so I'm hoping this helps. Thanks!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
My old KX125 used to tank slap on a regular basis around the track we have...the first time it happened it scared the crap out of me... doing about 75 going parallel along the grade of a steep hill, brought the front up to get over a tower access driveway came back down and it was about as violent as that video.... decided that was enough riding for the day lol and yes, it is scary as hell.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Good call! That did it. I cranked it down to one (it was at 3 as promised). Definitely feels different. It's been feeling a little off lately so I'm hoping this helps. Thanks!

Excellent. As has been said, make SURE you don't have it too soft. The bike should only sag down an inch or two when you sit on it at the seat height.