Changed My Foot Position

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 Rearsets

So I have been using a set of OSO2K's setback plates since his initial run and loved them, but have found myself wanting my feet even further up and back. In one of the threads on the other forum a long time ago someone mentioned being able to mount R6 rearsets on OSO2K's plates and that had stuck in my head for a while. I won a bid on a complete rear brake unit on ebay for 25 bucks, rearset, brake light sensor, line, reservoir, master cylinder, caliper, everything. They arrived earlier this week and I excitedly went to go install it on my beloved FZ. By the way the caliper is the same as ours except we have a regular hex head bolt at one point and the R6 has a Torx bolt.

Well unlike what the SBN guy said, it does not bolt directly onto OSO2K's plate. The bolt holes are the same diameter, but they are at a different angle and spacing between them. Also our FZ6 rearset has a divot and a corresponding dowel on the bike side where the R6 is only the two bolts.

Not letting this stand between me and my new experiment I took the setback plates off and took them in to work, where I put them in a vice and gently tapped the dowels out (and saved them for later just in case I switch back). I planned on using the same upper bolt hole to mount the R6 rearset as I had on the FZ6 one; that way I could just drill a hole for the lower bolt and be good to go. Instead of measuring it properly I was lazy and put the top bolt in and pivoted the rearset to the position I wanted. Then I marked the center of where the hole would go and drilled it at work (5/16" drill bit in case anyone was wondering). I paid for being lazy when my hole was off a smidge and I had to oval it out to fit. Measure twice cut once!:spank: Anyways it now fit just fine and ovalling it out didn't result in any movement; I had to oval down but if I had messed up sideways there is the possibility it could pivot around the top bolt.

Anyways onto the pictures! When I first put it on the pedal was pretty low - the R6 brake pedal is adjustable via locknut/threaded rod, so I adjusted it and it is just fine now.

Before, with the setback plates installed:

0228111421.jpg

After installing and adjusting the brake pedal:

0304111351.jpg

In the end to fit it I used the R6 rearset bracket, light switch sensor (still have to plug back in), pedal, peg, and master cylinder. I kept the FZ6 caliper, line, and reservoir.

I am still waiting for my clutch side R6 stuff to show up, should be today. When I was drilling the hole, I reused the pegs to pin the left and right side plates together in the vice since they mirror each other, making sure the new R6 holes are identical.

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it does bring them up and back a lot, but I prefer it that way. Even with the setback plates on there that is one thing that always felt awkward to me was that my legs and feet were still basically directly under me. During longish road trips my butt was actually fine on the stock seat, the part that always got tired first were my feet in the position they were in. My legs are heavy.:BLAA:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok got the clutch side on. It works ok for now but I would like to adjust the lever one notch further up. However, with the tall hex head bolts I have on there right now I cannot because the lever will hit it on upshifts. I am going to get some flat headed bolts tomorrow and that problem will be fixed.

I did some photo comparisons for this side. Don't worry about the shift rod hanging down there, I didn't feel like connecting it just for the pictures.

Completely stock:

0305112258.jpg

OSO2K plates installed, FZ6 rearset:

0305112300.jpg

OSO2K plates installed, R6 rearset:

0306110133.jpg

Based on my last picture, who can guess what my next mod is going to be? :D