chain lube

2X80MPH

For years kerosene has been my "cleaner" of choice because it has an oil base. As far as lubrication, I use Redline synthetic 80 - 140# gear oil. A drop on each roller will do the job. Rotate the tire 4-5 times to work the oil into the chain and side plates. Then wipe gently with a clean rag.:D

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So there is no way on God's green earth that bike could be started thus removing the possibility body parts could go flying when a hand or something gets stuck in the works that are moving...
Running the engine is daft, yet people still do it to lube chains. In the ED where I work I have seen several people with amputated digits. The tissue and bone gets so badly damaged that they are rarely able to salvage them.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Running the engine is daft, yet people still do it to lube chains. In the ED where I work I have seen several people with amputated digits. The tissue and bone gets so badly damaged that they are rarely able to salvage them.

You need them digits for typing as well as other more social activities.;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, I'm all thumbs anyway..... giggle giggle grin.....

i saw the other day on the news that some dude had lost his thumb while using a band saw and they amputated his big toe and replaced his thumb with it... it looked really strange but they said he should have 80% use.

H

HavBlue

i saw the other day on the news that some dude had lost his thumb while using a band saw and they amputated his big toe and replaced his thumb with it... it looked really strange but they said he should have 80% use.

I would have to think about that one as the big toe is just as, if not more important than the thumb. I can however see the logic in this.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they were showing him walking around and he said that it was only an issue when starting from a start as the big toe is the one you "dig in" with. But he also went on to say that he was getting more used to using the rest of his toes for it.

H

HavBlue

they were showing him walking around and he said that it was only an issue when starting from a start as the big toe is the one you "dig in" with. But he also went on to say that he was getting more used to using the rest of his toes for it.

Ah yes, the marvels of adaptation....

elwood206

Reaction score
Visit site
for real nasty chains Ive used brake cleaner to good effect without damaging the o-rings, Ive also has better luck with "chain wax" staying put better than "chain lube" and that grunge brush designed specifically for chains was well worth it.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess, but it would take a whole new kind of stupid to start it and run it in gear while playing with the chain...

I worked with a very professional automotive mechanic who had one very bad habit...instead of either using an aerosol "belt squeal lube" (or replacing the belt) to stop alternator or power steering belt squeal, would use one of those "crayons" on the sides of the belt while the engine was running. His luck eventually ran out and his originally issued 10 digits were instantly reduced by about 25.5%. :(
Imagine what a steel chain would do.
Oh...edited to add:-
Does anyone use CLP to clean their chain? It really brought my son's KLR650's horribly neglected chain back to life. Once I cleaned off the residue, I lubed it with my chain lube and it came back as good as new.

Last edited:

hellstormer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've installed Scottoiler... Yes, you don't need to have the hassle of when to oil your chain anymore...

It can be transfer from bike to bike (most of them I mean). This current set have being with me for 5 years already (2 different bikes). Very popular here in Singapore, cos you would not have the dirty, sticky residue left behind by the spray/chain lube...

Worth the investment for me...Chain still in good conditions and don't need any adjustment of chain after even clocking of 13000km...It prolong the life spend of the chain...

Here the link...
Scottoiler - Automatic Chain Lubrication System

Last edited: