Chain Guard Options

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my way in to work yesterday I encountered a patch of road debris on the freeway, mostly a lot of crumpled, large pieces of brown paper and black plastic. Mind you it was during rush hour and I was cruising in the HOV lane so there weren't a lot of options as the junk went across 2 other lanes. This was my first ride on the bike in about 2 weeks as I've been busy and had the rear brake apart for maintenance. At any rate, I made it through the first 200 ft without issues, but of course as the end approached I got some of the stupid plastic hooked on my left peg. It caught on the feeler and the wind drag pulled the peg all the way in, so I'm trying to kick it off, downshift and merge over without killing myself so I can get off the freeway. I managed to kick it off only to have it get sucked into the rear wheel/rear sprocket So now I can start to smell the plastic melting. I managed to get off the freeway and pull over to get it out of there, but the friction was enough in that short time that the rear-most portion of the chain guard (about 5 inches worth) was melted completely off. While I'm not too worried in the short-term, I'm wondering if it's better to fab up a piece of sheet-metal to replace what's left of the existing plastic chain guard (by cutting it the rest of the way off at the rear hugger), or just replace the whole rear hugger assembly. Anyone build a BYF chain guard?

Here's a pic. The last little bit is warped, too. I have some scrap aluminum sheet in the shed, I think I'm going to try my hand at making something. I've got a whole can of plasti dip laying around to cover it with.

Last edited:

Sean1274

Reaction score
Visit site
I have that same amount missing on my bike. That was how it was when I bought it. I still haven't done anything about it and I haven't had any problems with that much missing.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
We found out the hard way that the two of us on the fz ( I am heavy alone and the fz is lowered a bit) was too much and it made the hugger sit on the pipe and melted a good hole through it and mangled the heck out of it. So we got where we where going and i took the hugger off and tossed it in the trash and still haven't replaced it and that was last summer or possibly before. Only real down side I have seen is that both the tire and the chain throw more crud and junk on the swing arm, and depending on your chain lube it could fling a bit but we use chain wax and i haven't noted any issues to get concernd about.

Digitized from my thumbs to your screen with the help of my Droid X and tapatalk 2

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
When I had my FZ6 it didn't have a hugger or a chain guard. I put on the after market one seen in here:

picture.php

You can see more pics in my album