Ceramic coating the downpipes

has anyone powder coated their pipes?? I did my rims now this post got me thinking what about the pipes.....

@04efi
You don't generally want to powdercoat exhaust pipes. The 'power' cant withstand the high heat and constant hot-cold cycles. It'll eventually crack and chip off. That is why you ceramic coat them. The visual effect is generally the same and it'll withstand the temp without problems. Theres also a slight performance boost from ceramic coats raising the temperature of the exhaust gases and increasing exhaust velocity. The exact HP bump is debatable, but likely in the >5hp range.

Chaosratt I'm talking about the powder that can withstand the 1000 degree mark. I've done my rims and tell you when the only thing you need to clean them is windex its awesome. The hot and cold cycles should be fine because powder coat can flex alot. We have an old 65 galaxie withthe coil springs powder coated and they look great. But ill do more looking into fast hot-cold cycle use.

I just finished my pipes tonight and I must say I really like how they turned out... while I had the paint out, i figured I'd do the two pieces on the radiator as well, since the silver stood out a little too much for my taste. Here's a couple of pics (Palm Pre pics aren't the best) of the finished product, what do ya guys think? :D

NICE JOB!!! Appreciate the pics :rockon:

What kind of scratches can you expect if you take your headers off, paint them, let them dry, then put them back on to cure them? I'm only asking cause I don't have a good place to cure them on a heater or with propane, except to put it on the BBQ. lol

This looks like a great way to spruce up my bike later.

quick question, since i dont have a real place to cure these, and no garage, if i were to take them off, paint them outside and then bring them in the basement (65+ deg) and let them cure there for a week or so.. would i be good? i just don't want to spray them in the house, for obvious reasons.

also, when you have the pipes re-installed on the bike, start it and let it run for just about 30 seconds of idling then shut it off and go have a drink. After an hour or so (completely cooled) start it and let it run for about 2 minutes or until you see any smoke. If the paint starts to smoke, shut it off immediately and go have another drink. After another cooling session, repeat the process but go maybe until the bike is up to operating temp (unless it starts to smoke from the paint of course). Repeat the warm up and cool down until it no longer smokes or until you are confident the paint is fully
hardened.

Repeat until the paint has completely cured or you can't get back to the bike because you had to many drinks and in that case the paint will be cured by the time you get back to it! Hahaha! :spank:

One issue I forgot to mention is that the clamps that pull the pipes into the side of the engine were kind of a pain in the butt as they kept sliding up and down and scuffing the somewhat dried paint. I ended up using a small piece of copper wire just to hold them on the end of the pipes. As for the heat curing, the paint I believe said it would be workable in a few hours, the wood stove more or less sped up the process and sort of baked the paint on.

Once I put the pipes back on I started the bike and let it get up to temp then shut it off and pushed it out the garage into the great 25 degree weather we have. Hopefully the curing process used I really won't have a chance to see how it holds under operating conditions until spring.

I just finished painting the entire exhaust system with VHT Flameproof High-Temp paint. I'm noticing that the paint will chip off pretty easily, I'm worried about this. Does anyone know if the paint hardens after the heat cycling is done according to the instructions on the can?

Installed everything and heat cycled the paint, wow, what a difference! I've ridden about 100 miles and I don't see any damage to the paint. So far, this stuff is working well.

Installed everything and heat cycled the paint, wow, what a difference! I've ridden about 100 miles and I don't see any damage to the paint. So far, this stuff is working well.

I was only able to head cycle my pipes on my wood stove, but wont be able to see how they hold up on the road for a few months. Did I mention I very much dislike upstate NY winter :Flip:

Haha I don't blame you! I came from Boston weather, having a riding season that's basically 3 months isn't gonna cut it, so I moved to FL! Year-round riding!

I used VHT Flameproof paint, supposed to be good up to 2000 degrees! After initial application, the paint will easily scratch and chip, it becomes much harder after heat cycling according to the instructions on the can. So far so good!

Berg1986 - I was hoping you could post a photo or 2 of your finished downpipes. Also, do you think it is possible to do this with the pipes on the bike. Not that I am so lazy, but was really not looking to get into dissassembling any part of my exhaust, well at least, not until I get scorpions.. down the road a little bit

Thanks,
FB

I'm curious as to how well this is holding up for you guys that have tried it? Is it easier to keep the ceramic clean than the stock pipes?

Berg1986 - I was hoping you could post a photo or 2 of your finished downpipes. Also, do you think it is possible to do this with the pipes on the bike. Not that I am so lazy, but was really not looking to get into disassembling any part of my exhaust, well at least, not until I get scorpions.. down the road a little bit

Thanks,
FB

the disassemble itself is really a cake job... there's 8 bolts up top, and two on the underside to remove. Wiggling the pipe out of the cat tube is a little tricky if your using the center stand while taking it off. Other than a little creative wiggling, the overall job took me less than two hours with all sanding and painting included.

Back