centerstand question

mikexup

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought my 08 FZ6 last week from a dealer about an hour away. When I got home and started looking at things real close I noticed that the bike didn't have a center stand on it. I don't have a FZ6 close by to look at, but after talking with a parts man at a Yamaha dealer, he said it's possible that I might also need the brackets if the person also took them off when he removed the center stand. Without going to the dealer and looking at the micro fiche, how can I tell if the person before me also took the brackets off when he removed the center stand? Also, before I buy this enter stand off of ebay is there anything else I need to be looking for besides the two bolts and two springs? Thanks in advance. Mike

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There has been many members who have taken off their Centerstand, maybe if you posted up in the parts to buy/sell section you might get lucky.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I had looked to buy a centre stand off ebay but I eventually went to buy from a yamaha dealer to cater specifically for these issues, coz you get all the required parts for the installation.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought my 08 FZ6 last week from a dealer about an hour away. When I got home and started looking at things real close I noticed that the bike didn't have a center stand on it. I don't have a FZ6 close by to look at, but after talking with a parts man at a Yamaha dealer, he said it's possible that I might also need the brackets if the person also took them off when he removed the center stand. Without going to the dealer and looking at the micro fiche, how can I tell if the person before me also took the brackets off when he removed the center stand? Also, before I buy this enter stand off of ebay is there anything else I need to be looking for besides the two bolts and two springs? Thanks in advance. Mike

If you don't have the center stand on the bike you are definately going to need the stand, link, collars, and springs which are part numbers 1,9,10,11,12 and the two number 5 parts from the micro fiche link above. Also, if you look below your foot pegs and see two large bolt holes on each side with nothing in them you are going to need the two mounting brackets, four bolts, and four nuts which are parts 3 and 4, two number 6 parts, two number 7 parts, and four number 8 parts from the micro fiche.

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have the center stand on the bike you are definately going to need the stand, link, collars, and springs which are part numbers 1,9,10,11,12 and the two number 5 parts from the micro fiche link above. Also, if you look below your foot pegs and see two large bolt holes on each side with nothing in them you are going to need the two mounting brackets, four bolts, and four nuts which are parts 3 and 4, two number 6 parts, two number 7 parts, and four number 8 parts from the micro fiche.

Hm... lots of parts. I wonder how much all of that costs. I personally removed my center stand (still need to remove the brackets). If all those parts are expensive (say > $100), an alternative is to buy some paddock stands (maybe a front and rear).

However, that center stand does have it's advantages -- e.g., coupled with a few 50lb bags of rice on the seat, you can raise the forks. If I need to do that, I might need my floor jack and place it under the headers.

Dennis

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I find center stand very useful. Over the winter bike will rest on it with not much weight put on tires. Much easier to change oil, filter, lube the chain... do many things while bike is on center stand. I sure would not remove it for no reason.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I find center stand very useful. Over the winter bike will rest on it with not much weight put on tires. Much easier to change oil, filter, lube the chain... do many things while bike is on center stand. I sure would not remove it for no reason.

I hear ya. I just think it's big, heavy (maybe 6 lbs -- I know not that heavy :D) seems to get dirty a lot, and is one more thing to clean, gets rust on the bottom, and my tires are off the ground with my stands; it also increases cornering clearance (not that I need it right now).

4235541772_c831636153.jpg

Just my humble opinion. If you don't have the stands, I would highly recommend keeping it on and losing 5 lbs of body fat if possible and getting a 1 lb lighter helmet :D to make up the 6 lbs.

Dennis

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I use the centerstand everytime I fuel up, and change the oil plus lubing my chain.

I fuel without using any stands (I do put the side stand down sometimes if it's windy, but otherwise I fuel without getting off the bike).

Its a godsend for cleaning the chain though, and any other tinkering I do where its better to have the bike level. For the weight & size, having the stand on the bike rather than another tool occupying space in the garage is a big + in my book.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I fuel without using any stands (I do put the side stand down sometimes if it's windy, but otherwise I fuel without getting off the bike).
QUOTE]

I like to take a quick walk around and check my tires for for any nails or puncture while my bike is refueling. I know this should be part of your pre-ride inspections, but I also find it a great time to look the bike over.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question for you all that have center stands, how do attach the springs and what do you attach them to? I got a free center stand from fzme with all or most of the parts. If I'm missing any parts it would be 2 7's and 2 8's. I'll have to check my bike first.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question for you all that have center stands, how do attach the springs and what do you attach them to? I got a free center stand from fzme with all or most of the parts. If I'm missing any parts it would be 2 7's and 2 8's. I'll have to check my bike first.

Pic of the centrestand spring...

View attachment 24432

This is the plate that the spring attach's to...

View attachment 24433

Hope that helps.

Edit... Hmm, the ronayers fiche doesn't list the peg that the spring clips onto???

:rockon:

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do that here and they won't even turn the pumps on,you have to remove your helmet and get off the bike to refuel.
never had any problem like that over here, I always remain seated on the bike, fuel up, and drive over to the shop to pay. I usually take my helmet off in the store though.

But I'm planning on removing the center stand, getting a rear paddock stand to park it in the garage, but besides the occasional lubing of the chain, I really don't need a center stand.. its heavy, less cornering clearance, and it looks crappy too lol.. Consider the rear paddock stand, its probably just as expensive but a whole lot easier..

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Like cp04 said, the smaller spring goes inside the big spring. Not really sure why it needs the smaller spring, but it's there.

Do you have the plate with the "peg" on it that the spring clips onto, it's not listed on the fiche link.

I'll take a look here in a bit and see.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Like cp04 said, the smaller spring goes inside the big spring. Not really sure why it needs the smaller spring, but it's there.

Do you have the plate with the "peg" on it that the spring clips onto, it's not listed on the fiche link.

I have all the parts for it, and it seems that there used to be a center stand on my bike. Do you know what to torgue the bolts at, the two that attach to the stand?