caught in the rain..

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
And it sucked!! This was my first time ever riding in the rain and it absolutely sucked. I don't know how you guys (that ride in the rain a lot) do it. They called for 10% chance of rain, so I rode the bike to work. Was nice all day till 30 min before punchout time and it got dark...right in the direction I was going. I made the gamble and left thinking I could beat it. Not a chance. The sky opened up and it was pouring...hard. I had on a mesh jacket and I was freezing. Ended up stopping at a gas station to let some of it pass, but I still had 30 miles to go home, and it rained for about 25 of those miles. The only part of me that stayed dry was my head.

Now for a question... I was really nervous about the bike slipping out from under me. What is the chances of that actually happening? I was trying to ride in the section of the lane that wasn't holding any water, but at times it was unavoidable. And I was even more nervous in the turns. I hope to never experience that again. And after the bike was filthy!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just ride as you would if the tires were cold and you will be more than fine, the worst thing you can do is tense up. If there is any chance of rain I always pack my rain liners. I ride in the rain all the time to work and my liners keep my clothes dry.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're moderately smooth and dress properly, vision is the only real issue. It can be fun.

Rode to work this morning on wet pavement using set of 18/21inch full knobbies...great way to wake up in the morning. :BLAA:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're moderately smooth and dress properly, vision is the only real issue. It can be fun.

Rode to work this morning on wet pavement using set of 18/21inch full knobbies...great way to wake up in the morning. :BLAA:

Used to do it a lot on my XR600.Go off road for miles through the hills in the pouring rain, clog my knobblies with compacted clay and rip it it up through the soaking wet country lanes.
It was more like drifting,than cornering :D

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW - For the longest time, I hated to ride in the rain too. After taking a few extended rides in the rain, it doesn't bother me now as long as I have appropriate gear on. Just take it slower, and don't lean the bike as much in corners and everything should be fine! You would be surprised at how much grip the tires provide even when they are wet.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a good 100 miles in a downpur going up to americade at lake george ny. used fw1 on my shield and worked great...yet i got soaked. Friend was on his brand new r6 for the first time straight off the lot lol. Like everyone else said. you have plenty of grip just take it easy.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like anything else, you need to be prepared..
The Midwest isn't known for being wet, but then again, it's not dry, either.
My boots are TCX (formerly Oxtar) and they're Goretex lined, as are my Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants. These are my normal riding gear, unless it's Jesus Hot!! Then I wear mesh gear and carry lightweight nylon jacket and pants to put on under my mesh stuff.

As mentioned, treat tires like they're cold, and watch it on anything that's not pavement. Paint, steel, etc. will be slippery..

I really don't care if it's raining or not.. All riding's good!!:)

Ewhite6

Reaction score
Visit site
lol last Monday me and a buddy on his r6 got off work late and were riding home and 30 miles out we hit an area that was severely flooded with 6'' to a foot of standing water and both bikes handled fine. After we split to go home I went through water that came up to my knees in parts and came out all right. My friend said his bike handled fine until water went over his headlight and into his air intake, then he was done riding anywhere.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Allow more stopping distance and dont freak out if it rains. As a newbie, it rained whin I took my test. Invest in good wet weather gear. Riding with your clothes all wet is not nice :(

You MUST get out there and ride in the rain. You never know when you are going to get caught out.

Practice makes perfect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk