Can I really lower my Fazer??? Please Help!!

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be really interested to know how they changed the sidestand as I need to get mine cut and welded. Can you post pictures at least?

Thanks.

I'll see what I can do. It's past midnight now, and in the next two days we'll get a months worth of rain according to the forecasts. I'll run out with a camera as soon as the weather permits... :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Im really thinking of getting these awesome springs since people are so happy with them lol. I would love to be able to flat foot easier.

Question though, im about 200lbs what should my preload spring be set at?

At a 183lbs with my gear on, I'm set at 4. So I'd say 4 or 5. Try 5 and if it's too stiff for you, go down one, just be aware for signs you're bottoming out. It seems more noticeable in a straight line, but the effects can be dramatic in a turn if it's wildly off. It'll start to slip sooner for one.

I didn't do anything to my sidestand. The guy I bought it from and I talked about swapping stands, but since we both commute on the bike and live several hundred miles apart, we never did. I haven't ran into any issues, although I am careful that if I park on an incline, the kickstand is pointed downhill.

Cut and welded, or one of those hackjob DIY kits are probably your only option if you wanted the same tilt on the stand.

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard back from the place about the BITUBO shock. Here is the email below

33-RJ14-TL01 Seat height lowering kit for Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2, Type RJ14 (Model Year 2007- and foll.) incl. new BITUBO shock (spring preload and rebound adjustable, red spring), all other required modification parts and TÜV certificate, seat height reduction by about 45 mm

at a price of EUR 419,33

plus EUR 50,-- for shipping from here to you

Delivery time: available from our stock!

Payment: in advance (by bank transfer)

Last edited:

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Had an email back from Calsport UK saying they do not offer a lowering kit for this model :(:(:(:confused::confused::confused:

Then had an email from The One-Stop Suspension Shop in Adelaide saying they had a Hyperpro 30mm lowering kit for my bike, with a price of $430 not including postage.

How much did everybody elses cost????

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Had an email back from Calsport UK saying they do not offer a lowering kit for this model :(:(:(:confused::confused::confused:

Then had an email from The One-Stop Suspension Shop in Adelaide saying they had a Hyperpro 30mm lowering kit for my bike, with a price of $430 not including postage.

How much did everybody elses cost????
Calsport do sell it. I bought it from them. If you browse the site you can see it here .

However, if you wanted to maybe get it for £30 cheaper from the same place there is a link on my website here that has it for £169.20. It's just underneath the bullet-pointed list of links to other forum posts about the springs (which are all really useful).

It's still from Calsport and it's the same combi lowering kit and it's for the FZ6 S2 still. No idea why the link on my site is £30 cheaper! If you find this useful, please click on a few ads at the bottom of my website to get me a few pence! And give me rep here too! :BLAA:

Calsport are really good and are happy to speak to you on the phone. Also, I got my springs the very next day after I placed the order. I've had to wait up to 2 months to get bit for the FZ6 before! :(

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have no idea why they said they hadn't got the kit for my bike??? I gave them the vin number and all the details too:confused:

I also noticed the parts number for the kit they gave me from South Australia was SP-YA06-SSC023
And was different to the parts number you had, apart from one letter???

Do we have the same bikes????

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have no idea why they said they hadn't got the kit for my bike??? I gave them the vin number and all the details too:confused:

I also noticed the parts number for the kit they gave me from South Australia was SP-YA06-SSC023
And was different to the parts number you had, apart from one letter???

Do we have the same bikes????
The suspension hasn't changed one bit since the FZ6 S2 first came out. Only real changes are o2 sensor in the exhaust and some of the electrics.

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick question???:cheer:

If I had a hyperpro 30mm lowering kit fitted to my bike, would it still lower it, considering im not that heavy??? :confused:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick question???:cheer:

If I had a hyperpro 30mm lowering kit fitted to my bike, would it still lower it, considering im not that heavy??? :confused:
Yup. You can still adjust the preload on your rear shock with the new spring to a lower/lowest setting and it would be lower than stock on the lowest setting. You may be able to drop the front forks more to match than a heavier rider, it's all a matter of tweaking the drop rear preload etc until the bike rides the way you like.

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. You can still adjust the preload on your rear shock with the new spring to a lower/lowest setting and it would be lower than stock on the lowest setting. You may be able to drop the front forks more to match than a heavier rider, it's all a matter of tweaking the drop rear preload etc until the bike rides the way you like.

Cheers for that!!!:cheer::cheer:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll need a fork seal tool, a broom handle, a way to properly set the fork oil level, and metric allen wrenches for the front end. And a way to hold the front wheel off the ground. Block of wood, etc. If you wanted to change the fork oil while you're in there, you'll need the fork seal, the crush washer, and of course oil.

A good metric socket set, a torque wrench in newton meters (you can usually borrow one from auto parts store and the rear spring is 125NM I think), and a clamp should be all you need for the rear shock.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
OK another question :cheer:

What tool is needed to change the rear shock:confused:
And any other tools I (hubby) will need for this Hyperpro kit:confused:
Rear shock is HARD! You will need a decent set of vice grips and heat to get the bush out that the shock rests on at the bottom. I gave up after about 2 hours and got the stealership to do it. Once you have the shock off, you need to be able to compress the spring on the stock shock down in order to get the spring off and put the new one on. If you look at my page on it on my site you will see a link to how someone did it with clamps could be dangerous though.

Front forks are easy if you have a Haynes manual. I found that a spanner rounded the corners on the large nuts on the top and had to take the handlebars off and use a socket.

Torque wrench is a good idea and an impact hammer.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Just break the nuts on top of the forks while they're still in the triple clamp. Just like the Haynes manual says.

The dealership wanted $300 USD to change them out, plus the extra parts. If you'd prefer that.

I can't comment too much on the rear shock, I bought 5pokes and he sold me the whole shock with the springs pre-installed.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of when i upgraded from my ttr-125 (trail bike with small front tire) to my kx-125 (full sized 2-stroke race bike) when i was about 14. Being probably 5'4" at the time, i could tip toe...on one side.... if there was a uphill slope on that side... while trying to kickstart it :D That was a pain... My Versys is lowered... no idea with what kit or whatever but it's the best handling bike i've ever ridden...can't compare it to an un lowered Versys unfortunately :(

From people i know who have lowered them, you get more foot on the ground and better flickability if it's done correctly... if it's done incorrectly you can have tracking issues, uneven tire wear, lot's of bad things...so if you do it make sure you do it by the book :thumbup:

Good luck on the project, keep us updated :D

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be really interested to know how they changed the sidestand as I need to get mine cut and welded. Can you post pictures at least?

Thanks.

Here are a few pictures. In two of the pictures, I have tried to point out where I think something was done.

Sidekick_1.jpg : The kickstand from the side. I have tried to show that the angle has been changed...
Sidekick_2.jpg : Trying once more to show that the angle has changed. The angled gap between the kickstand and the ground indicates that the angle has changed.
Sidekick_3.jpg : I think either the "horisontally flipped J"-shaped metal piece or the kickstand itself has been ground down to change how the kickstand rests against the J-shaped metal piece
Sidekick_3b.jpg : Same as above...
Sidekick_4.jpg : The kickstand from the front. Can't see any obvious changes.
Sidekick_5.jpg : The kickstand from behind. Can't see any obvious changes.

If you need any more pictures, just let me know. If you know what angles you want the pics taken from, please indicate and I'll do my best. :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pictures. In two of the pictures, I have tried to point out where I think something was done.

Sidekick_1.jpg : The kickstand from the side. I have tried to show that the angle has been changed...
Sidekick_2.jpg : Trying once more to show that the angle has changed. The angled gap between the kickstand and the ground indicates that the angle has changed.
Sidekick_3.jpg : I think either the "horisontally flipped J"-shaped metal piece or the kickstand itself has been ground down to change how the kickstand rests against the J-shaped metal piece
Sidekick_3b.jpg : Same as above...
Sidekick_4.jpg : The kickstand from the front. Can't see any obvious changes.
Sidekick_5.jpg : The kickstand from behind. Can't see any obvious changes.

If you need any more pictures, just let me know. If you know what angles you want the pics taken from, please indicate and I'll do my best. :thumbup:
That is absolutely brilliant! I looks like I can fix it myself with an angle-grinder. I was planning on cutting the foot part of the stand, then making it a cm or so shorter and then getting the foot welded back on. Your way is so much easier (and so much more sensible!).

Thanks mate. Rep added.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
That is absolutely brilliant! I looks like I can fix it myself with an angle-grinder. I was planning on cutting the foot part of the stand, then making it a cm or so shorter and then getting the foot welded back on. Your way is so much easier (and so much more sensible!).

Thanks mate. Rep added.

Happy to help! Hope this is useful for you and anyone else looking to lower their bike. :cheer:

Just one disclaimer: The kickstand modification was done after just one week of me buying the bike, so I can't really say how everything looks like as default. Don't remember... :(

In the pictures you can see that some of the black surface has been removed where I have indicated that something may have been done. This is the reason I think something was done in that area. In the last picture (from behind), you can also see bare metal without the black surface inbetween the gap in the kickstand itself. It looks like you're looking at the "flipped J-shaped" metal piece, and that it has been ground down, hence removing the black surfacing.

Just realised that this actually means that something has been altered physically, even though I initially said nothing was physically altered. Oh, well... Whatever works... :rolleyes:

And thanks for the rep! :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend lowering one inch with a custom spencer mod seat. I love mine, way more comfortable then stock. Lowered height is a huge improvement. Its its under 125 bucks.