Compact tire plugger kit for commuting and touring

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend is going for a short trip and asked me about good pumps. I read on advrider about stripping down a slime pump. I did the same thing, so I decided to help him out. I have an enduro that uses tire tubes, so I'm loaded up like a mule in case I get a flat. I've become quite good at saving space for my toolkit!

You can get a slime pump for less than $20 from walmart. I actually have the power sports version, which is $30 or so. I think it's smaller. I bought it on sale at Pep Boys a while ago. Another option is the Harbor Freight pump.

We fiddled around a bit and in the end, this is what works. It should work for the fz6 as well:

Tire plugger kit.
To save space, he chopped one end of the handles off using a hand saw (his idea). The tire plugs are in a zip lock to prevent them from drying out (my idea). This all goes in a cordura bag (my idea). These bags are nice because they are abrasion resistant. They protect your tools and other things from the tools. I bought a bunch from ebay and had a few lying around.
photo%25201.JPG

The slime pump out of the case.
The pump goes in a zip lock bag and into a tough cordura bag. The pump is powered through a sae lead. The bike already has an sae lead attached to the battery. The sae lead has a 15amp fuse, so be sure that your fuse can handle the current draw of the pump. Which is around 12amp...maybe?

The slime pump has a plastic end that goes over the tire valve. This really sucks, since the threads get stuck on the plastic. The key is to move the hose attachment straight up and down over the valve. If you go diagonally, it will get stuck. This always bugged me and I think I'll buy a metal end for my pump and cut off the plastic one. I have an air compressor at home, so I don't use my pump often, mostly just to air up from dirt (14psi) to street (30psi) pressure.

photo%25202.JPG

1.hose
2.pump
3.long sae lead in zip lock
4.plugger kit inside of side fairing
5.stock tool kit moved back

photo%25203.JPG

Hopefully this will help someone. It's nice for commuting because it all fits under the seat, you don't have to carry extra bags,etc. for commuting. Be sure to put the pump in a spot where it won't get banged around. The soldered connections on the pump may break.

When you use the pump, keep it off the ground, so no dirt gets in it. Also, turn the pump off and let it cool down if it's been running for a while. Then, restart.
You may have to have the bike running to prevent your battery from draining.

It was helpful to me, since I'll be upgrading my slime pump hose end (I have no idea what to call that thing) to a metal one.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess that works in a pinch... beware those tools if he ever needs to use them, though. I use plugs on my truck all the time (expensive mud tires are like nail & screw magnets, especially when brand new) and once had the joy of the plastic handle breaking off a reamer and nearly reaming out my palm. I've sworn off the cheap plastic handled ones, and those would scare me a bunch more having the handles "worked on". Just FYI.

I've got one of the bicycle CO2 inflators, and a handful of 12g cartridges in a pouch under my seat. So far I don't think exhaust heat has made any explode. :p I have yet to need to use it to fully inflate a tire, so hopefully 72g or so of CO2 is enough. Just make sure to get one with the cartridge casing so it can use cheap unthreaded cartridges, you'd go broke using threaded ones at a couple bucks a pop if you went that route.

PS: my personal favorite tire chucks are the straight lock-on style, like this, but they don't work well on bikes unless you have angled valve stems.

Stumbled on this one, too: POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
340.901.300x200.Plug_Kit_Mini_a.jpg

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this kit have yet to use it, most likely now that I have it I never will.
the mushroom design of the plug seems to be a better solution than a standard plug. easily fits under the seat with tool and lock.

check out the video.... Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation - Stop & Go International Inc Store

Why be stranded? This kit gives you the ability to perform the most effective repair possible without dismounting your tubeless tire. And if you operate a Motorcycle, ATV, Golf Car, Small Tractor, Utility Vehicle, or Wheelbarrow you're going to be back in action in just a few minutes.

With the addition of (4) 16 gram canisters of 100% pure high velocity CO2 gas and the 4" fully flexible Adapter with solid brass fittings this kit becomes everything needed to repair and re-inflate your tire. For further details regarding these added items please see #1090 Automatic Tire Inflation Kit. This kit measures 5" x & 7 1/2" x 1" and weighs only 18 ounces.

Package Contents
Nozzle
Tire Plugging Device
(4) Steel Canisters containing 16 grams each of 100% pure high-velocity CO2 gas
Probe Tool
Reamer/Rasp Tool
Hex Wrench
(15) Mushroom Plugs (5/16" diameter shaft x 3/4" length stem)
Retractable Razor Knife
Extra Zip Lock Bag
Tire Valve Adapter with brass fittings
Instructions for use of CO2 inflation system
Vinyl Zippered Pouch (8" x 5" x 1")
Weighs: 1 lb. 6 oz.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
this kit is nice.

remember that for touring, you want a pump.
if you're about to do a lot of miles that day, it's better to check your tire pressure, especially with changes in weather and elevation.
i've done 2 long trips on a motorcycle and i checked the tire pressure almost every day, topping off when i needed to.

I have this kit have yet to use it, most likely now that I have it I never will.
the mushroom design of the plug seems to be a better solution than a standard plug. easily fits under the seat with tool and lock.

check out the video.... Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation - Stop & Go International Inc Store

Why be stranded? This kit gives you the ability to perform the most effective repair possible without dismounting your tubeless tire. And if you operate a Motorcycle, ATV, Golf Car, Small Tractor, Utility Vehicle, or Wheelbarrow you're going to be back in action in just a few minutes.

With the addition of (4) 16 gram canisters of 100% pure high velocity CO2 gas and the 4" fully flexible Adapter with solid brass fittings this kit becomes everything needed to repair and re-inflate your tire. For further details regarding these added items please see #1090 Automatic Tire Inflation Kit. This kit measures 5" x & 7 1/2" x 1" and weighs only 18 ounces.

Package Contents
Nozzle
Tire Plugging Device
(4) Steel Canisters containing 16 grams each of 100% pure high-velocity CO2 gas
Probe Tool
Reamer/Rasp Tool
Hex Wrench
(15) Mushroom Plugs (5/16" diameter shaft x 3/4" length stem)
Retractable Razor Knife
Extra Zip Lock Bag
Tire Valve Adapter with brass fittings
Instructions for use of CO2 inflation system
Vinyl Zippered Pouch (8" x 5" x 1")
Weighs: 1 lb. 6 oz.