Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I would never buy a used helmet. Too risky that someone isn't being truthful

As for the Arai guy, he could have bumped sales for his company by saying that every nicka nd scratch means time for a new helmet, but he didn't, which leads me to believe that he is right. That being said, I would be very nervous if I dropped my helmet and couldn't afford a new one.

All that taken into account, there is no way in hades I would uy a helmet that someone threw at someone else. Regardless of the damage done to the helmet itself, how well could it have been cared for if that is the type of environment it lived in? Just like I wouldn't take a dog from a dogfighter, I ouldn't buy safety equipment from someone with a blatant disregard for the integrity of the items at hand.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm.... i am thinking that it is my head and i would still rather be safe than sorry... if he is wrong and my helmet dosen't work, chances are that i won't be around to debate it. either way, i just prefer to not drop my helmet.

I have seen X-rays that contradict that statement, and besides, different shell materials can react different ways, he can only speak to Arai's composite.
I have just replaced my HJC which I knocked off the seat of my bike.
I will take it to work and get it x-rayed (if I can).
My belief was that a dropped helmet had to be replaced if it was polycarbonate?
It's difficult with so much urban myth out there.
Another option is to send it back to the manufacture to get an opinion.

Just a side thought, Do American football players get a new helmet if they have had a severe collision during a match?

Nelly

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
after playing college ball with a championship team, and playing 9 years before that, I can say with a degree of certainty that we do not in fact get new helmets after each impact. That being said, they're constructed entirely differently... Also, they weigh a $hit ton! Not sure about which polymers they use in each, but just what I know. I've dropped my HJC a couple times, but after each time I check to see if there is any shell damage or any manually evident deformation in the interior hard foam... My $.02...

and not even a scratch on the shell... nothing more than hip height though...

Last edited:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I think football helmets are made from the same material as a bowling ball. HeHee

Seriously, I would not trust a used helmet from anyone that I did not know. I still say better safe than sorry, if it is dropped replace it. You just never know, and your life is not worth the gamble.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason you should replace a helmet after a crash is because your nogin compressed the styrofoam during the crash. Think of it like this in layers: Road/paint/shell/styrofoam/liner/hair/skin/skull/brain. The shock generated by the impact and travels towards the brain. While this is going on the brain, suspended in cranial fluid, is traveling towards the road. The styrofoam meets both dirctions of travel in the middle and compresses absorbing the shock, to help prevent the brain from compressing inside of the skull as hard as it would without the helmet, usually saving brain from injury.

Road>paint>shell>styrofoam<liner<hair<skin<skull<brain

The problem is unless you take the helmet apart you can't see the compressed foam.

So back to your topic, unless there is something inside of the helmet when it falls off the of the seat of your bike it is probably fine.

Motorcycle helmets are designed to take multiple hits during a fall. The Hellgate Institute of Helmet Crash Impact Studies has tested Shoei RF helmets up to 10 impacts in one crash. They work well. :D

So bottomline if you think your helmet is messed up after a drop send it back and get it checked out. Most MFGs are more than happy to do so.

One closing thought, in 25 years ridding I've dropped a helmet only once. My best friend had bought a brand new Shoei (we were 17 and he had saved for month to buy it) and Mr. Butterfingers dropped it on the sidewalk. Man was he mad. :rant: Everytime I take my helmet off I now look for a safe place to set it, ie: ground instead of seat.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still think that it is wrong that a woman would dare throw a helmet, let alone at it's owner. Safety device turned weapon...