Cageless living

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My beloved Protege5 blew up, a bit over a month ago. Since then, I've been using my bike for everything.. every day commuting, running errands, going to the gym, joy riding..
Most of the time it's great, but there are days I wish I still had a car.
This morning for example: I've got a cold, rain is coming down hard, but I have to ride to work.. I know full well I'll be soaked by the time I get there (rain gear will keep me warm, but it cannot keep me dry in 1 hour of pouring rain). Adding insult to injury.. there's heavy traffic on the way in and having just gotten back from Europe, I'm extra ticked off about not being able to legally and safely lane-split.
(/rant)
I'll pick up another car, eventually. I've test-driven loads of cars and the only one I actually love is the BRZ, but it's somewhat pricey and has several known issues (albeit minor).
[MENTION=83]VEGASRIDER[/MENTION], props to you for staying on 2 wheels, 365.. it's definitely not for everyone.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
What rain kit are you using that wont keep you dry for an hour? I've a cheap, no brand, ebay special that keeps me perfectly dry in even the worst of weather. Even when my visor seal has given up, the suit still works.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a time in my life where two wheels (fortunately motorized) were my only means of transportation, so I feel for you. Of course, at that time I was a MUCH younger man than I am now. I doubt I could deal with it nowadays. Good luck and take care out there....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What rain kit are you using that wont keep you dry for an hour? I've a cheap, no brand, ebay special that keeps me perfectly dry in even the worst of weather. Even when my visor seal has given up, the suit still works.

Admittedly my rain suit is anything, but high end. It's made by Bilt (CycleGear house brand). I've had a pricier one before, which was no better at keeping me dry.
I didn't think it was possible to really keep the water out without spending the cash on Gortex suit or something of the sort (which can cost as much as race leathers), so I stopped looking.
I'm gonna start a new thread on this :thumbup:

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site

Enlighten an ignorant American; does it actually rain HARD where you are in the UK? Or is it mostly drizzle?

Come to think of it I don't know how it rains in Jersey either, but I wonder if we're talking apples and oranges here.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Enlighten an ignorant American; does it actually rain HARD where you are in the UK? Or is it mostly drizzle?

Come to think of it I don't know how it rains in Jersey either, but I wonder if we're talking apples and oranges here.

Good question. My suit holds up well in drizzle. It's the heavier rain that gets through after about 15 minutes or so. Jersey can have major down-pours.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to make a much less productive comment than FloppyRunner, but along the same lines. We are talking Forest Gump in Vietnam rain here. Spring on the east coast can be wet.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a different note - The Mazda died?! What took it out?

I guess window shopping is like cheating and just didn't go well for the two of you! :eek:

wizzardofboz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've test-driven loads of cars and the only one I actually love is the BRZ, but it's somewhat pricey and has several known issues (albeit minor).

I have a BRZ, its an awesome car. The issues with it are really negligible and many have warranty fixes out for them.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a BRZ, its an awesome car. The issues with it are really negligible and many have warranty fixes out for them.

Yeah.. absolutely fell in love with that car on the test drive. Wife drove it too and also fell in love with it. I need to test drive the 2015 GTI.. if that's not a "winner", than it'll almost certainly be the BRZ.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On a different note - The Mazda died?! What took it out?

I guess window shopping is like cheating and just didn't go well for the two of you! :eek:

I was pulling into the parking lot and suddenly it started making a noise like a bucket full of bolts was dumped into the engine :eek:

Had it towed.. told the mech to diagnose it, but not fix anything without letting me know the cost.
He said the bottom end is fine, which means he has to do a bunch more digging.. it may be a broken lifter, a valve spring, etc. In the end, he said we're looking at at least $1k.
Before the blow-up, dealer was giving me 2k for the trade-in. So I don't really feel like bothering with it at this point. No sense trying to keep it, since even if it gets fixed for 1k, it will still need full suspension replacement and a timing belt.. and it'll still be a 10+ year old car.
The deal is the mech is going to give me $1k for the car. He'll probably end up getting 3.5k for it after fixing it up.. good for him.

wizzardofboz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. absolutely fell in love with that car on the test drive. Wife drove it too and also fell in love with it. I need to test drive the 2015 GTI.. if that's not a "winner", than it'll almost certainly be the BRZ.

Wow, It frequently fails the wife test.

Check out the 2015 WRX, a lot of the people who bought the BRZ wishing it had more HP are jumping ship and ordering them. They get almost as good fuel economy as the BRZ but are much faster.

The BRZ is definitely not a good choice for straight line power. However once you get going it handles so well you never have to slow down.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMAG0842.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Nuff' said Erci. Find one as an Ute and all your dreams will come true...

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, It frequently fails the wife test.

Check out the 2015 WRX, a lot of the people who bought the BRZ wishing it had more HP are jumping ship and ordering them. They get almost as good fuel economy as the BRZ but are much faster.

The BRZ is definitely not a good choice for straight line power. However once you get going it handles so well you never have to slow down.

Yeah, I guess it'd make sense to take one for a spin. I drove the 2014 WRX and absolutely hated it. Worst turbo lag EVER, but I know 2015 should be very different (boost comes on much sooner).

I care much more about handling than acceleration, which is why I loved the BRZ so much, but yeah.. BRZ could definitely use just a big more go. In a way, it's like the FZ6.. if you want it to move well, you need to keep the RPMs nice and high.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you get any or much snow? My cage is a gen 1 Miata. So inexpensive (about $2-3K), you can do everything on it yourself, tons of after market parts, has very little power (so you stay out of trouble), but handles like a go-kart. It's like a motorcycle you can ride with shorts and flip-flops! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you get any or much snow? My cage is a gen 1 Miata. So inexpensive (about $2-3K), you can do everything on it yourself, tons of after market parts, has very little power (so you stay out of trouble), but handles like a go-kart. It's like a motorcycle you can ride with shorts and flip-flops! :thumbup:

We do get quite a bit of snow, but I don't care. BRZ is RWD too (thought it does have a mechanical LSD). I've driven the Miata.. awesomely fun! BUT.. you need to take the BRZ for a spin.. very similar, but tighter with angrier motor (at high RPM). :thumbup: