Cage quicker than FZ6 (???)

peppaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering how many and which cars can be faster than our FZ6 after a red traffic light, say in a 0-60mph rush...
I live in So Cal and there are so many sport cars here.... so I need to know in advance!!! ;)

Y

yukon_alex

I think that many of the sports cars out there can certainly get a jump on bikes. It is easier to get a good start in a car (especially an automatic!). I would say, practice, practice, practice if you want to consistently put a licking on any car you meet.

Some cars to look out for would be Porsche 911s, Corvettes, Vipers, Italian sports cars (you can figure out which ones), Saleens (pretty rare but you might see one or two) and a number of sports sedans as well (AMG Mercedes come to mind, BMW M series, and yes even the Subaru WRX and the Lancer Evo VIII). All of these are fast cars and I would love to own any one of them...

W

wrightme43

Not many.

words it needs more words to let me post.

3.4 secs to 60, things faster than that. It its faster than that at least it will be fun no matter what. Even if it is, and they make a mistake the bike will win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yukon_alex

Well, that's the thing. How many of us can consistently pull off 3.4s to 60? If there is a car that the magazines have tested 0-60 in 5 seconds with an autobox, ANYONE can consistently pull quick times. Not much skill needed to make a car go quick in a straight line as far as I'm concerned, especially with the electronic nanny's available on most of them.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you see me lining up beside you at a red-light wearing my running shoes you best not try and test me

consider yourself warned. resisitance is futile.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
if you see me lining up beside you at a red-light wearing my running shoes you best not try and test me

consider yourself warned. resisitance is futile.

A Subaru Impreza will give you a tough time for sure.

Subaru_Impreza_RS_2007.jpg

(If you could scroll down to here, you MAY have a chance...)

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
unless it's a v8 or some super charged sleeper, if you get a good launch, it shouldn't matter. only advice is keep those spirited accelerations to the strip. a night at the strip is cheaper than a speeding ticket.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Only certain type of cars can give you a hard time (given that you get a good launch). Any all-wheel-drive sports car. Have you seen a Subaru WRX or Evo launching? I did watch a street race a few days back and daaaaayyym those things are fast. They get off the line like nothing else

+ WRX and EVOs are always modified (at least where I live)

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
There's virtually nothing that you should worry about if you launch well! It's a lot harder to balance the clutch in a car and they have so much weight, by the time it's all moving you should be gone.

I pulled up at a set of lights behind an AMG SL55 Merc the other day, he seemed a complete ***** with his music blaring thinking he was god. Next set of lights, I made sure I pushed to the front next to him and when the lights changed he got licked.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Basically if you are willing to buy a car for 10 times the price of the FZ6 then you might have a chance.

A Subaru Impreza will give you a tough time for sure.

Impreza WRX STi 0-60 5.99 secs no contest.

Last edited:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Impreza WRX STi 0-60 5.99 secs no contest.

I am just saying that 4 wheel drive sport cars bounce off the starting line like a bike never will. Combine that with the never ending list of modifications such cars usually have and you might get yourself embarrassed.

Now, stock FZ Vs stock Evo/STi, no the cars don't stand a chance even if you lose a bit on your launch

dogmush

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folk's. New to the Forum here, and trying to get info on FZ6's. This thread cought my eye.

My car will. (03 Cobra, modded) Any car/driver combo that can run the 1/4 in the low 12's should give a 600 sportbike a good run for it's money, provided they're running enough tire to hook up.

Of course, my car gets about 13.5mpg, and I'm shopping for a FZ6, so streetlight to streetlight isin't everything.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Now we're talking about 'quicker' in general. We're talking take-off AND handling.

Here's some JAPANESE cars that would give you a TOUGH challenge:

-Mitsubishi Lancer
mitsubishi-lancer-sketch.jpg

-Nissan Skyline
nissan-skyline-gtr-driving-1_41.jpg

-Mazda RX-7
mazda-rx7-0070_0w.jpg

AMERICAN CARS

-Dodge Charger
dodge_charger.jpg

-Pontiac GT
pontiac-g8-gt-2008-723914.jpg

-Chevy Cobalt SS (2008 Turbo)
08cobaltssturbo_hi001.jpg

EUROPEAN CARS

-Lotus Exige
Lotus-Exige.jpg

-Aston Martin DBS
2008-aston-martin-dbs.jpg

-Jaguar XF
JaguarXFConcept.jpg

-Porshe
techart_porshe_911.jpg

You mess with any of these cars, you'd better be GOOD!

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

the police radio travels much faster than any car or bike, it will catch you every time...

The greatest advantage a bike has over a cage is acceleration but this only goes so far as eventually it's going to come down to the rider's skills and how long they can hold on to any particular speed. With the right rider on board I feel quite certain a Yamaha 250 Virago could give most cages a real headache in a 0-50 run. I will however say that if you run across a bright yellow Myers Manx or a fire engine red full bodied 66 Volkswagen don't even think about it because either will have your FZ6 for lunch. They are both owned by Dave Reagan out of Anaheim and both run in the low 10 second bracket.

Bard, for the most part I would say running from the cops is a real bad idea however, given the chance in a test (in a controlled environment where the idea was not to issue a citation but to merely find out) I would take the bike over that radio every time provided there were no chopper involved and this was an experienced rider on a modern 600 or 1,000cc sport bike. The bikes are simply too quick and if that rider changes directions as often as possible the only chance the Motorola will have is if they can get into a car to car communication and keep the bike in sight. A few years back there was a chase in the SoCal area where a black sport bike kept more than a few cops and a chopper busy for a long while and the only way they got him was his plate number as they picked him up at his crib after he had left the bike in a mall parking structure.

Y

yukon_alex

Basically if you are willing to buy a car for 10 times the price of the FZ6 then you might have a chance.

There you have it. the biggest difference between fast cars and fast bikes (which the FZ6 is), cost. Anyone with the money can purchase a fast car and make consistent runs everytime. C'mon, how hard can it be to get a good launch with a Porsche 911 Turbo with an auto transmission? I am thinking that anyone can make consistent runs of 4-5 seconds 0-60 without trying very hard. I think the skills to make a bike perform run after run quickly takes loads more skill. Having said that, a skillfull rider on an FZ6 should have no problem with amateur drivers no matter what they drive.

Just make sure your racing smart. None of us on this forum want to see any obituaries because of a race on the street. Be careful out there, the streets are dangerous!

H

HavBlue

Just make sure your racing smart. None of us on this forum want to see any obituaries because of a race on the street. Be careful out there, the streets are dangerous!

Agreed and so true, street racing is a really bad idea.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
It takes precious little skill to "drag race" on city roads. When I'm bored and in my Subaru, I will "race" a pumped-up young kid in his coffee-can exhaust "sports sedan" when the lights go green. (there are legions of them here in Richmond).
You don't need an STi, btw....A Subaru Legacy GT wagon with automatic transmission will knock off most cars at the Traffic Lights GP.....and the finish line is the other side of the intersection in my "drag races". ;)
All I have to do is sit there and stomp on the gas pedal with my right foot while letting off the brake with my left foot....there's precious little skill involved, apart from a quick scan to make sure there's no Queen's Cowboys around.
Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to drag race on city streets at the best of times, particularly on a bike....there's just WAY too much that can go very wrong very quickly.

mattyice

Reaction score
Visit site
there are some sick street cars around here that will take a turbo busa let alone a FZ6 from a stop...mind you they are putting down anywhere from 800-1300 WHP, im actually building a 850 WHP datsun 240Z right now lol

but there are very few cars from the factory that arent AWD that will take a FZ6 from a stop...like others have said 60-100 is a different story