Busted Knuckle Garage Presents: Raceteck Fork Springs

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
But, changing the tubes in the triples isn't going to have a whole lot of effect on sag, is it? That can only be changed by cutting the spacers (or adding washers) so it should be measured all over again.

Correct, sag is independent of geometry. The logic for raising the forks in the triple is to reduce the rake angle since we run a rather high 25deg. compared to a 23.8 - 24.0 deg on a true sportbike.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Setting your sag

Setting Your SagSetting your sag is a fairly simple procedure, usually you will need a couple friends to help and you will need to dressed in full gear for proper measurements.

Extend the front suspension. Measure from a fixed point such as the clip on mount to the axle clamp. Call this number A. Next sit on your bike in a normal riding position and have your helper hold the bike without adding any of their weight to it. Your second helper should push down on the fork, let it extend slowly and then re-measure as before. Mark this measurement as B.

Next, extend the fork by hand, let it slowly settle, and re-measure. Mark this measurement as C. Halfway between B and C is where your suspension would settle if there were no friction in the system. Static sag can be calculated as follows: sag=A-(C+B)/2. Repeat this process to determine the rear sag. If you have too much or too little sag, add more or less preload.

A general base setting for this is around 30-35mm for street riding and 25-30mm for the track.

This seems to be a very straightforward method, that I get!! As far as rake and trail are concerned I am clueless:tard:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had to dredge up this thread again guys. Wanted to let you know that there's been a new tool addition to the Busted Knuckle Garage. Michele told me "Don't get WHAT you need, get MORE than you need." So, we got this. Should make front sprocket changes VERY simple. :D I forgot to include the string of impact sockets in the pic!

Are any of you in need of a spring mod day up here? Let me know and we can plan on it!

attachment.php

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
compressors make life happy in the garage :). and i think i could come up with a few things that we can use as an excuse to get together.

SS brake lines are not going to get in before the bike comes out... hmmmm

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you put in the new steering head bearings yet Rob? I can think of a small air powered weapon that will help with that. :D

I have the impact gun and a 3/8" air ratchet. I'm going to find a semi-permanent home for the compressor and run at least one PVC line up and over to the center of the garage. Then I can plug in the 50' coiled hose and reach anywhere in the garage easily.

I'm still going to work on a tire changer as the next big ticket item. But, I've got a bunch of mods ordered for the FZ1... she's going Copperdog!

:D

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Grrrrrrrrrrrreat pics. Thank you! Nice bike, (love the rim tape), fantastic little Cadence, loved the scooter shots as well. (The one with Cadence settled-in was fantabulous) Very informative sequence of shots as well. You pointed out the "water" in the forks cleverly disguising it'self as oil. This is a price that we all pay for manufacturers going with fork wipers instead of the rubber boots which completely covered the exposed "bearing surface" of the forks. They did have one tiny pinhole in them to allow for trapped air but they kept the gunk out of our forks, even on dirt bikes, (to a very large degree). Thanks again!
BTW: I've spent many hours in your busted knuckle garage myself down through the years, and I'm well-versed in biting my tongue to keep from saying those very colorful and descriptive words! If you ever need help.....

Last edited:

RustyBasterd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I am new to changing out springs I want to trade out my fork springs and my rear for the racetech ones. My question is other than the springs and fork oil did you need to replace any other parts while breaking the forks down? I want to do this myself and am very nervous about it because this is my daily ride to work. Also for the rear spring do I need to get an adapter for it?

pascal1973

Reaction score
Visit site
It's just swapping the springs and oil for the front end, the rear however you need special tools to compress the spring. It is unwise to try and do it without that....