Burgled by scum

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two nights ago we were burgled in the early hours of the morning.
I was sleeping down stairs looking after our baby and my wife was looking after our 1 & 2 year-olds up stairs. We have had some rough nights recently and have temporarily moved the baby down stairs as she was getting woken by the other two.
I was woken by the sitting room door being opened and seeing a silhouette in the door frame. I just thought it was my wife looking in on us.

Next morning I had to go to the solicitors. I couldn’t find my bag or wallet. I thought that I had left it at work. I went to work and it was no where to be seen.
When I got back home we did what all parents do and blamed our two year-old daughter for moving the items.
After a while it slowly dawned on me what had happened. I asked my wife if she had come down in the middle of the night to check on us. She hadn’t.
I checked the front door (which we don’t use) and it was un-locked.
We had neglected to lock it after a delivery that day. The scum bag had simply inserted a right angled piece of copper pipe through the letterbox and depressed the handle.

The Police informed us that this is the most common mode of entry used on UPVC doors for burglars. I didn’t realise that if the door is unlocked although the door won’t open from the outside. The handle will still move, once the door is locked the handle becomes fixed. The burglars just walk along trying every handle until one moves and bingo.

My guess is that when they opened the sitting room door and saw me I must have scared them and they just grabbed what they could on the way out.
The thing that sucks the most is that some one has been in my house with my babies sleeping.

Please let this be a lesson to us all, check your doors and windows don’t give the scum a chance.

Neil

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh No Neil! I just glad that you and your family are okay.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
That really sucks Neil. Just remember that Karma is a bit*h and they will get what is coming to them. Maybe a good idea to put a small bell on that door so you will have an audible warning if it happens again. Hopefully it won't.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks Niel, hope you canceled your cards on time.
keep your chin up, I know it must feel terrible with your kids being there too, but luckily nothing else happened.
I hope that the kids settle down so you can get back to a normal sleeping pattern, I've had loads of times that I was walking around like a zombie because of looking after the kids, and I've only got 2.

adam6177

Reaction score
Visit site
am glad you and family are ok fella...I've been burgled before and you feel violated. Any chance of them being caught?

On a lighter note....when I read "Burgled by scum" I thought some Man Utd fans had been round!

Adam

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! I'm glad you guys are O.K. That seemed like a scene from a movie, it is a shame this stuff happens, even in the U.K...
I have a 100lbs german shepherd and a pistol to keep the bad folks away.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad you are ok, sucks getting robbed but in retrospect he goild have used the copper pipe on you had he reacted differently to being scared off.... Bastards...

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Neil

Just read your thread, don't know what to say to make things better for you.

If you woudld like to chat in a more secure means, send me a private message given my recent responce to the bike security thread, which I think you commented on.

Kind regards

Mark

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your family are OK. That is not a good experience on all sorts of levels.

Listen to what the old bill say.

J

jsteinb95

Neil,
I'm very sorry this happened, and like everyone else has said, at least everyone is ok. Have you cancelled your credit cards? That must be really scary knowing now, it was not your wife. Just watch your bank account(s) (Identity theft)
Maybe you should think about getting an alarm.

Be careful. :thumbup:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're all okay and no harm happened. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood, a few years back a house break in happened just 3 or 4 houses down from where I'm at. The house was sold and now a police officer lives in that house or at least next to it. I had alarms installed for peace of mind, a baseball bat underneath my bed. And a .45 in my closet just for security. Of course the gun is always locked and the magazine is kept separated (got three little ones at home).

S

sportrider

sounds like it's time to get a dog, preferably a big German one. sucks to hear that. damn pikeys those freakin Gypsy bastages will steal you blind!!!

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as your family and yourself are ok everything else doesn't matter. So dont worry about it to much.And take care...

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just gladyou are all OK. It dont take away the feeling of violation but at least things can be replaced people cant.
Be glad you scared him off because we all know what happens in this country if you defend your family or home.

Just think though; If he felt the need to burgle you he must have thought that you have a better life than him.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. :( Good thing though that nothing worse happened. Take care.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Neil sorry to hear about the scum bag that entered your home and had the nerve too take your stuff from under your nose.In one respect maybe its a good thing you didnt wake properly otherwise you could have battered him (which he deserved ) and been in all sorts of s**t with the cops (you know how our justice system works).

Keep your chin up fella and look after the family :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I'm so far out in the middle of no where the cops say there is no reason to even patrol the area because they would die from boredom. While home, the keys stay in the bikes and cages and I think the last robbery out here was when the Confederate Army lifted the horses from the Union Soldiers.

When I lived in Southern California things like alarms, video cameras, proximity switches and the likes were very common and justifiably so. In areas where the possibilities for B&E are higher, you just can't have enough security. Glad you folks are OK. I would however consider a dog as them things can smell an intruder and they are the first line of defense.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this, sleeping is going to be tough for a while. You would be surprised how much more secure you feel with an alarm. Even if it is just a local noisemaker. It is a great way to have a little peace of mind.