Buell Headlight Wiring Questions

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, a couple of quick questions:

-How did you setup your wiring (stock FZ6 to buell connectors)?
-Do you have only the one light on low beam or both on low beat?
-What did you do with the small bulb between the main ones?

I have the dual headlight mod so I was planning on going the right bulb and mini on low beams with both lights and no mini on for high beams. Although I would like to roll around with both lights on...any input on how bright these lights are compared to stock/if I should wire both to be on at low beams)?

Also, what can you tell me about running the wires? How loose do they need to be in order to not effect steering? Last night I thought I was all done until I tested the turning. It was so tight that I actually pulled a wire out some where and now I have all my lights working but my signals don't flash and I nothing happens when I turn the high beams on...time to pull it all apart again and start digging for the broken connection :(

Any help is appreciated!

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have the buell light, but mine's similar so let me try to help. I already had the BD43 mod when I had my fairing so I basically just wired both lights to the original right side connector, with the added wire that was spliced into the harness. So basically, with my naked light, they are both on low and both on high (dual H4s). I didn't use the tiny bulbs at the bottom of the lights. I'm guessing the buell lights have the same thing and that's what you're referring to.

With the turning issue, I zip-tied the harnesses at the steering head (to 1 of the 2 holes that the fairing stay originally mounted to) and then shortened everything past the original connectors. That way I could easily control the length behind the headlight and make sure I had no problems with turning. Let me know if you want detailed pics, I can try to take some after work.

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your post!

Unfortunetly the Buell lights are single filiment so there is only on and off for me (but you do offer a valid solution to have both lights on low and high considering the factory wiring doesn't accomidate this).

-Does anyone know what kind of bulb comes with the light?
-Does anyone offer a dual filiment bulb?

Regarding the wires, when you ay you shortened everything past the original connectors do you mean you cut and re-soldered all of the wires that were too long or did you just push it all under the tank once you had the correct length?

I'll be posting pictures after I get a chance, I'm excited to show off my custom brackets :D

Last edited:

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I left the harness stock from the tank side to the white connectors. I then cut the excess from the connectors to the headlights/turn signals, soldered and heat shrunk each wire, taped them for neatness, then put some plastic tubing on the major parts for neatness.

Custom brackets, you say? I really like custom, post em up! :thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently done the Buell conversion, so I can help you out with the wiring.

What I did (which is the easiest method, I think) is cut the FZ6 headlight harnesses completely off, and then wire the Buell connectors to the FZ6 harness, making sure to connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

The Buell headlights are both single filament H7 bulbs. There is one bulb for high, and one bulb for low. The way I wired it (the method mentioned above), my Buell headlights only have one headlight on when it's low, but both come on when you hit the high beam switch. It kinda sucks to not have both of them on when you're using low beams, but you can always just flick your high beams on. You are more visible during the day time, and I don't think it's very distracting. I do keep my lows on at night, though, because when they are both on, it is quite distracting and bright. Obviously, if there is no oncoming traffic, then having high beams on is just fine.

As far as the running light, I can't really give you any advice, because I just yanked mine out. I don't really see the need for it, and it was extra wiring that I didn't want to do. Also, it leaves a gap in the middle of the headlight for the wiring of some purple angel eyes that I've been thinking about doing.

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I finished everything up tonight.

-Brackets to connect the gauges to the windscreen/light brackets (custom made)
IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

-Brackets to connect the windscreen to the forks (that I purchased)
IMAG0107.jpg

-Buell headlights
IMAG0121.jpg

-Buell Windscreen
IMAG0122.jpg

-Reused stock front turn signals (a shortened them up a bit) and reused the stock gauges
IMAG0125.jpg

Biggest pain was by far getting everything lined up right and sorting out the wiring mess-hard to believe there's not much space in a motorcycle frame to stuff wires :lol:

All in all I think it turned out pretty nice. I'll take some better pictures sometime.

IMAG0124.jpg

A big thanks go to the many users who helped me out with my questions and directed me to the right parts!!!

:rockon:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! You did a good job with those brackets. I wussed out and bought some already made. Now get out and ride it and feel the difference!

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! You did a good job with those brackets. I wussed out and bought some already made. Now get out and ride it and feel the difference!

Thanks man!

I got out this weekend and today and I love it! The bike feels much more responsive and looks great...

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg