Broken Footpeg on Brake Pedal Side.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats good news. I'll try it soon if it works for me too.
But what about the 3th hole with copper washer?

Yamaha 90383-14001-00 BUSH, FORMED
Part# 90383-14001-00

It's the most important part of the process.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Part# 90383-14001-00

Same thing, support it from underneath and hammer it out.

I'd stay as close to the edge as possible as the copper is soft.

The rubber grommits likely have/had a steel exterior to hammer on(or press in)

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site

Part# 90383-14001-00

I must be going crazy as I don't see a third one with a copper washer on my bike. There are only two unless I missed something. I have two holes with bushings that mount to the frame and the third hole accepts my brake pedal.

Which third one are you referring to?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I must be going crazy as I don't see a third one with a copper washer on my bike. There are only two unless I missed something. I have two holes with bushings that mount to the frame and the third hole accepts my brake pedal.

Which third one are you referring to?

Look around on the floor - its top hat looking chunk of rubber. It inserts into the rear sets and fits onto a dowel looking protrusion on the frame.

Item # 40 here.... It just pushes in by hand.
standfootrest.gif

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html

In this pic on the far right, you can **ALMOST** just see where the rubber sets in the frame. Unfortunately the picture does not capture the area in question on the frame.
51847d1390680863-front-sprocket-nut-question-dsc_6401-sprocket-.web.jpg

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Final, are you sure it is #40, it should be #43 in the picture.
This 3th hole is the place where brake pedal shaft goes into.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Final, are you sure it is #40, it should be #43 in the picture.
This 3th hole is the place where brake pedal shaft goes into.

I see your line of thinking. To build up a new part, one needs that bushing I melted. I thought you were all talking about mounting the sets to the bike (# 40 rubber). # 43 is a split shell bushing for the brake lever. In a pinch it will also come out WAY EASIER than those isolator biscuits.

When I powder coated mine, I melted the lining of the bushing for the rear brake lever. #43 #40 is the rubber top hat bushing I was referring too.

Melty to # 43
47138d1363542634-somethin-black-img_20130317_meltybushing1.jpg

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use it melted as is after powder coating?
I tried to take that copper bushing out but could not.
Let's wait for the Plasma_caster's feedback about taking it out.

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't realize that there was a bushing in there. I already put my brake pedal in and noticed that there was quite a bit of free play, is that because the bushing is missing? If so, I will check again when I get home.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use it melted as is after powder coating?

Yes, all of last season.... :spank::spank::spank: 400°f for 15" was more than it could bare. Was waiting to see if the rubber would fail, but it seems fine at end of year. :thumbup:
I have new one, i'll take that one out w/ a bushing cutter. Doesnt help the op much. :(
/thread return...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't realize that there was a bushing in there. I already put my brake pedal in and noticed that there was quite a bit of free play, is that because the bushing is missing? If so, I will check again when I get home.

Not to beat the dead horse here but, that bushing is so thin that it would not *likely* come out with a conventional socket as the ends of most sockets are rounded just enough that a socket OF THE PROPER OUTSIDE DIAMETER would simply slip past that thin lining and try to expand the bushing in the hole..

If you have something that is the perfect size (outside Dia), your best bet at home would be to square up the edge with a grinder so its perfectly flat (Not rounded like a chrome plated or impact socket), then you stand a chance of not damaging it on the way out and back in. It is Split so it will come out pretty easy with the right tool.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
is that because the bushing is missing?

Exactly it is. And i need one for my bike too. i don't have the tool to take existing one out.

FZ6_2009_Rearsets_5_07_2012_002.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the old aluminum assembly is busted anyway, a hand grinder taken to the aluminum would free up the copper bushing real quick..

As for re-install, freezing it(shrinking it very slightly), and working very fast may help you get it back in the good hole

That or just buy a new one, except you have to wait for it :(

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to remove the copper bushing last night. I took a 7/16 socket and tapped it out gently with a hammer. My socket wasn't long enough so about 3/4 of the way out, I just used the end of my socket wrench and hammered it out that way. Like an idiot, I had tried to use a pliers and pull it out but the bushing is very soft and will warp, so don't do that.

I installed it into the new part and all is well. There is no more free play in my brake pedal lever. I also installed my pedal but just need to put back in the cotter pin. The new cotter I ordered is longer than the previous one so I need to make sure it'll fit ok, but other than that, I should be able to test ride by the weekend.

Hope this helps ya'll too.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Plasma, thanks for the info. That will be very useful for me.
I hope i can do the same for my rear sets.

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, one more question guys. I don't have the tools right now to bend back my brake pedal and rarely use my rear brake pedal anyhow, so is there any issue (other than a lack of braking ability) from leaving off the rear brake pedal for a while? I'd like to ride the bike this weekend (been two weeks now!) and don't need the pedal if it won't affect anything significant, other than the obvious.

Thanks.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, one more question guys. I don't have the tools right now to bend back my brake pedal and rarely use my rear brake pedal anyhow, so is there any issue (other than a lack of braking ability) from leaving off the rear brake pedal for a while? I'd like to ride the bike this weekend (been two weeks now!) and don't need the pedal if it won't affect anything significant, other than the obvious.

Thanks.

Sounds like its time to get creative! So, no vice, no vice grips, ahw how about two 12" long 2"X4"??? We can make a home made vice with your cage!!

Remove lever, set splined end of lever on end of 2X4 so the bulk of the lever is sticking out. Place other 2X4 on top making a lever sandwich! :eek: Throw some tape around the 2X4 to secure lever. Lay it on the ground and drive your cage on it. LEVER IS NOW SECURE! BEND AS NEEDED!!! Remove cage and install lever! :welcome:

First thing that came to mind... Walk around the house for 10 min with a lever in hand and you may find other options! FWIW: I would not advise bending the lever back using the rear sets - being a cast soft material it may break.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above, DO NOT use the rear set as a vise.

I bought my bike used (and wrecked) and have straightened the shifter lever (same material) in a very heavy vise with a 5 lb hammer.

Even if you don't have a vise, scroung up a hammer, a solid concrete surface, some thin aluminum (to protect the finish of the lever) and POUND away. That lever is very sturdy and CAN literally take a beating without breaking. Just don't smack the splined end..

Obviously, clamping it in a vise would give you more control over it and give you better results (straighter, etc).

As to the original question, will you hurt anything on the bike, no. The brake light switch will remain off (no rear brake pedal, brake light), just the possibility of you, in an emergency, going for a lever that isn't there :(