Broken Footpeg on Brake Pedal Side.

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

This is my first post here and I am hoping someone can help me. I dropped my bike accidentally and broke the foot peg near the rear brake and bent the brake pedal.

Is this something that I can easily fix on my own? If so, can someone point me to where I can buy the part or the part number? All I can find is just the brake pedal on ebay but I need the entire "assembly" it seems.

I have uploaded a picture with the broken piece circled in red. This is not my bike, but I found a pic of someone else's to illustrate.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help you with your problem but I can :welcome: you to our great forum!

If you do a search on it, maybe something will pop up :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to find that part cheap on eBay, i would try to find one second hand first...

The brake pedal can easily be bent back. Mine was dropped before i owned it, i just removed the pedal (1 alen bolt) clamped it in a vise, and used a wooden mallet to straighten it, took maybe 2 minutes.

Just make sure you put it back correctly, there should be a punch mark on the axle and one on the pedal, align them.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have the footpeg? You'll need a new right rearset, part number 38 in the link that oaks posted.

If the footpeg and pivot pin are OK then you should be able to just swap the old one on, otherwise you may need a new footpeg and pin as well.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are also many members who are in the process of parting out their bikes, you might be able to pick one up really cheap if you aren't in a hurry to replace it. You might want to check out the for sale forum.

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and all the great responses.

I do have the brake pedal and it seems to be in good shape so I think I can reuse it.

I will browse through the site with diagrams that Oak posted and try to find what I need.

I will post back when I find what I am looking for in case anyone needs help with this in the future.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
hi. welcome to this great forum

i had to replace the whole footpeg assembly because when i had a fall the brackets that hold the footpeg in place broke also. so you would have to check what you have got broken, if its only the footpeg or the bracket as well.

if the damage is very similar to the pic you posted (the bracket has snapped), im afraid you would have to replace the whole assembly

Last edited:

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who responded and I am happy that you guys were so willing to help. I haven't had such friendly responses on some of the other forums I've joined but my buddy who recommended me here said ya'll were a good group of folks. :)

In case anyone needs this, the partzilla.com parts ended up being:

Stand Footrest Diagram:
#38 - Bracket 3 - The rearset plate that holds the right side peg in place.
#33 - Pin
#34 - Pin, cotter

As suggested earlier, I will attempt to straighten out the actual pedal as it doesn't look so bad. Hopefully this will be an easy task as I am not too mechanically inclined.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the good thing is that once you get the new rearset it shouldnt take but 5 min to put on :thumbup:

I also frequent chaparelle, their parts explosions are awesome and their tire deals are pretty good too.

:welcome::welcome:

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I finally got the parts in and am trying to replace this on my own. I think I may be over my head here :)

The part that I received seems to be missing two rubber grommet pieces that are currently in the old part, but I have no idea how to get them out. I tried hammering them with a punch and they won't budge. Was the new part supposed to come with the grommets or am I supposed to remove them from the old part? If so, can someone please tell me how I can do that?

Thank you.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
The part that I received seems to be missing two rubber grommet pieces that are currently in the old part, but I have no idea how to get them out. I tried hammering them with a punch and they won't budge. Was the new part supposed to come with the grommets or am I supposed to remove them from the old part? If so, can someone please tell me how I can do that?

I am in the same situation as you. I tried to change my rear sets with new ones yesterday and couldn't take out those rubber washers.
There is also one more part you may need:

Yamaha 90383-14001-00 BUSH, FORMED
Part# 90383-14001-00

If you can use the same parts please write how you made it. If you end up buying new parts, can you help me buying them also, I am not in US, and that's why they cost me a fortune.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that looks like the part that I need.

Does anybody know if the old ones can be hammered out somehow before I go ordering more parts?

If the new part is OEM you should be able to support the rear of it with say a socket, then a smaller socket just to catch the edge of the rubber outside part.

If that fails(or you can't see the edge), take a hack saw/cutting tool / etc and slowly (to keep the heat down) cut the old part edge and break it away, the rubber bushing will literally fall out.

Re-install in the new part.. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have a cutting tool, (being that part is likly cast aluminum) another option:

Grab the edge of the old broken part in a vise (don't grab the grommit), and tighten it down. A decent smack with a hammer to the main part should bust off that outer section and release your grommit as well. :thumbup:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to hammer it down but it doesn't work. It looks like i need a hydrolic press.

I found a picture of how to take those rubber washers off in an other forum.
It looks like 2 sockets have been used.

rearset9.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to hammer it down but it doesn't work. It looks like i need a hydrolic press.

I found a picture of how to take those rubber washers off in an other forum.
It looks like 2 sockets have been used.

rearset9.jpg

If you have a pretty heavy vise (a least a 6"), you should be able to do the same operation with the socket set up...

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
what i usually do is to get an old flat screwdriver (which is not useable anymore) and i hammer on the metal sleeve. the metal sleeve will only get slightly marked by the screwdriver and no harm is done to it. it gets off after a few attempts. then the grommet can be prised free with your hand, or you can work the screw driver around the outer edge to push it out.

those grommets are necessary to stabilize the footpeg to the frame and reduce the vibrations.

plasma_caster

Reaction score
Visit site
Fazil,

I used the method that you posted with the two sockets last night and I was finally able to get them out. It took quite a bit of hammering but they finally came out and then I used a similar method to hammer them into the replacement part. I can't believe how tightly those things are stuck in there.

You might have luck with the sockets, try it out. Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions. Now I just gotta figure out which way the spring goes for the footpeg :)