Bridgestone Tires - Which Ones?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So my Dunlops are getting down to the end of their tread and the gears are starting to turn on what new tire I will go with. This will be the first tire change with the FZ, but I used to run Bridgestone on my old Ninja and loved them.

Was on the Bridgestone site today and see that they have some new sport touring tires that look awesome. Read a few posts here as well, and it sounds like the BT-016 pro is a nice tire, as well as the BT-023, and there is also a lot of hype surrounding the new S20 tire as well.

I am a daily commuter and put 70 highway miles on the bike every day going to and from work. I ride fairly hard and like to go for spirited rides in the twisties on weekends as well, but the majority of my time is spent on the highway. To these ends, I would like a tire that can perform well, but will have longevity.

So, would someone like me be better suited with a slightly more aggressive tire like the BT-16 pro or potentially the new S20, or would a BT-023 be better suited to my needs. Any and all input is welcome!

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking at the bt-023 as well.....but I do not ride nearly as hard as you:rolleyes:

I dont ride like an animal, def not a squid, but I do like to take the FZ on the twisties on weekends sometimes and want to make sure I have a tire that can handle all I can throw at it.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sold on only going with a Bridgestone? If so, I'd think the 023 is the right tire for that combination. If will to consider outside of Bridgestone, I've had really good results with the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I too commute long distances on my bike, but like some spirited riding on the weekends. I currently have 16k miles on my PR2's and will likely get another 2k out of them before trading in for another set of the same. Great mileage, good soft side rubber for the twisties, and fantastic wet traction for the off chance you get caught off guard in some rain.

Rob

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sold on only going with a Bridgestone? If so, I'd think the 023 is the right tire for that combination. If will to consider outside of Bridgestone, I've had really good results with the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I too commute long distances on my bike, but like some spirited riding on the weekends. I currently have 16k miles on my PR2's and will likely get another 2k out of them before trading in for another set of the same. Great mileage, good soft side rubber for the twisties, and fantastic wet traction for the off chance you get caught off guard in some rain.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I was initially going to make the switch over to Michelin to be perfectly honest, but was then turned off by all the bad press resulting from some tire failures. Seems like there are a good few riders who have experinced this on both the old and new Pilot tires and I have still never heard anything bad about Bridgestone.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the bad press is one of my reasons,,, i have a pr2 on the back now and the traction is great but the life seems to be short :( I commute ~900miles a month so I need all the life out of my tires that I can get.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm riding on BT-016 Pro but am still considering BT-023. I like the 016 in cooler winter riding here but would be on 023 during summer with great grip in the warmer weather. The BT-023 is a great tire!

I just got about 4,000 miles out of a rear BT-016 Pro. It looks like I'll go through 2 rears to one front. I would love to have the BT-023 for the combination of grip and wear but I have to pay to play in cooler months.
I would suggest the BT-023 for you.

As far as Michelin is concerned, I think they're in a tough spot right now with the failures they've had and it hasn't been just with one type tire. Time for them to step up, solve and take care of some issues instead of just being silent.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input Cliff. The problem is, I ride from around mid March through November, so I too have to deal with colder temps for part of my riding season. Is the BT-023 really only a good tire in warm weather? Would it still be ok for riding in mid 40s to low 50's?

I also agree on Michelin. They need to take the bull by the horns here and really respond to all of this instead of just ignoring it and blaming riders for "improper tire pressure"

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input Cliff. The problem is, I ride from around mid March through November, so I too have to deal with colder temps for part of my riding season. Is the BT-023 really only a good tire in warm weather? Would it still be ok for riding in mid 40s to low 50's?

I also agree on Michelin. They need to take the bull by the horns here and really respond to all of this instead of just ignoring it and blaming riders for "improper tire pressure"

The BT-023 is a great all year tire but it will need a longer warm up in cooler weather. Riding conditions here can change quickly with temps because of elevations and we ride from the beach to the desert in and hour. For me the 016 is a little insurance grip wise with those quick variations but I would definitely be the 023 otherwise..:D I've seen very aggressive riding on the 023!

I can start out riding in the 60s and be in the 30s in an hour!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I dont deal with such big fluctuations in temp during rides. If its just as simple as requiring a bit more warm up, I think I will be good to go with the 23's.

I used to run BT-020's on my Ninja, a lesser tire, and they were still very nice tires that I took no issue with. As much as it sucks to dump money on a new set of tires, I am kinda excited for this.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the 023's. I am satisfied with their performance (grip and warm-up) and longevity. When pushed to their limits they slide predictably. In the rain they just lock on to the pavement. I've used them from 30°-115°F without any problems.

Best of all, the pricing can't be beat.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been very pleased with the BT-021's that were installed about 7,000 miles ago. There's still lots of wear left, and they haven't even started to square off yet.

They stick well once they're warmed up, and have plenty of bite around the corners. I will probably get the BT-023's next time I need new rubber, since they're an updated version of the BT-021.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
im about to be in the same boat for the first tire switch and im leaning toward the 023s but also looking ant the Metzeler Roadtech Z8's (the old man swears by 'em). im mostly concerned with wet grip, all tires grip in dry (past sufficient to my capabilities) but in the rain, when i get caught i want the best i can get. so, which tire do y'all have the best wet experience with?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently put on 023's on my bike. Love them so far. Grip is great dry and wet. I don't ride very aggressive but I have gotten down far enough on entrance/exit ramps that the chicken strip is gone and it feels fine. Very confident in these tires. I have also ridden them in some cold weather and they have performed fine.

D

Dave.TX

I'd say you meet the 023 tire profile. Just put one on the rear of my bike about 800 or so miles ago and am happy with it. Did a spirited ride last Sunday and it cornered just fine, no slip. When investigating which one to get I considered the PR2 & 3, also the Metzeler 6 and 8. There's others that folks like but there were so many positive reviews for the 023's that's what I went with. I'll get them again when the time comes.