Bridgestone BT023 rear and S20 front

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I found a way to hate the bike - run 32PSI in the front. I was lazy, I checked it, saw it was low and left it. Wanted to see how it rode. It totally F's up corner entry; i.e. braking angle goes wide as its mushy. Bike is so sensitive to change.

Anyway - Addition of 90 degree stems and both tires seem to leak about a 1/2 pound a week. :Flip: :Flip: Thank god its easy to check them!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=10940]Lefty[/MENTION] how is the combo holding up? Anything to add or change?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=10940]Lefty[/MENTION] how is the combo holding up? Anything to add or change?

Hey, sorry for not being more dilegent on updating this thread. However.. I've been completely satisfied with both the wear and mileage of these tires. I've put a 2500 miles on them so far and they've kept their shape and even wear. I've done rain, fast pavement and even alot of dirt and gravel roads (as seen in my avatar) and I couldn't be happier. I'll get the camera out this weekend and take some updated pics.
Thanks for rattling my cage. :spank:

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K.,sorry for the procrastination on tire updates but here we go...
I've been really happy with the combination of the S20 front, BT023 rear. Cali rider and I just returned yesterday from our annual 5 day 2 brothers ride, this time through the southern Sierra's and all the way to Hwy 395 on the Eastern side to the Pacific Coast on the Western side. A fantastic trip, once again, which hopefully in the next few weeks we will compile our videos and still pics along with a ride report. In the meantime I though I'd give you all an update on the performance and endurance of the S20/BT023 combo. I'll include the pictures of the front and rear tires at both the 3600 mile mark and after I got home at just about 5000 miles. The rear has a lot of life left in it but the front seemed to go quickly to the wear bars right around 4500 miles. It didn't help that John and I were having some serious fun in all the twisties that he found for us but I think that it was the super fast sweepers and very abrasive stretch of road we rode on day four that caused most of the wear. I'm very pleased that I got at least 5000 miles on the Bridgestone Hypersport S20's and neither tire ever let me down. I'm considering mounting the new BT030 on the front as Cali rider had a new set of the BT030's on his Super Tenere on the ride and kicked my butt the whole time. :spank:
Anyway, after trying Michelins and Bridgestone's I've decided that I'm a Bridgestone fan and will stick to them for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I ran 38psi rear and 36psi front and both tires held their profile for the entire 5000 miles..

Front 3500 miles
Frontbefore_zpsc34af364.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front 5000 miles

Rear 3500 miles

Rear 5000 miles

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I somehow missed this thread, and started a new one a week ago.. Ill post here too. My last set (front and rear) were bt023's. Rear lasted me ~15000 miles. I could a gotten more out of the front, but I frequently ride in the rain so thought it best to match my new tires. Wear on the 023's was pretty even throughout their life, and didn't square off too severely until the last leg. Squaring off where I'm from is a big problem as all the roads are flat and STRAIGHT so the fact that they kept their shape is pretty impressive to me. The 023 saw everything from commuting, to super slab, to twisties when I went on road trips. They always felt good and never got away from me. Overall I am happy with the tires.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Missing records... i have dates but no miles off hand. Front S20 on in June 15, rear 023 on August 15. Bike now has just under 18,000 on it.

Front is getting pretty hammered!
attachment.php

Back still ok! But newer, guess about 1500 miles less?
attachment.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I've contacted 3 different people on within bridgestone, currently trying to get hold of someone in the powersports division about the wood pecker action on the nose. It really seams tire pressure related. So my goal was to simply glean any solid information I could to close out this thread with something concrete.
Although the title is misleading on this thread.... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/51120-crisis-takes-chattering-brakes.html

So far all are a friendly helpful bunch, its just I was given the wrong number the first time and our hours differ so, reaching them hasn't happened yet.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a side note, a while back we discussed that rigid line that runs the circumference of the tire and concluded it was just part of the manufacture process.

Turns out it's an "antenna tread" to help dissipate static electricity. I read about it here, and again on some other forum about Michelin tires that also have them.

Antenna Tread | Answers - Motorcyclist Magazine Up To Speed - Page 1

About the design and composition of MICHELIN tires - FAQ | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States

So you don't blow up in the pits while refueling???? Static? Didn't read it yet, but If I talk to someone who understands - I'll ask...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Missing records... i have dates but no miles off hand. Front S20 on in June 15, rear 023 on August 15. Bike now has just under 18,000 on it.

Front is getting pretty hammered!
53344d1400733673-bridgestone-bt023-rear-s20-front-img_20140521_190503_168-jpg

I'll snap picture tonight but my front tire is VOID of all tread but that in the center. I've been running 35 ~ 37 PSI too.
Hot days - Greater then 75F = 35 PSI
Less than 75F 37 PSI

I ran that rally of mega switch backs which was unkind to the nose and looking at my tire its destroyed!

FROM 06-16-2013, ONE YEAR AGO!!! Current tire is looking allot like this minus the wings. Tread in the center and offcenter is hamburger!

I'm killing tires! Is this a product of under inflation? I even verified gauges to confirm my gauges are not the root of evil (reading low)..... Wears bears SAFE in the center, Wear bars GONE on the sides. :(:(:(
IMG_20130615_185014_871_zps5624e941.jpg

Last I heard the S20 was no longer avail so I'm lookin for a new match and comments about the wear. Both sides are equally void of tread.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
O.K.,sorry for the procrastination on tire updates but here we go...
I've been really happy with the combination of the S20 front, BT023 rear. Cali rider and I just returned yesterday from our annual 5 day 2 brothers ride, this time through the southern Sierra's and all the way to Hwy 395 on the Eastern side to the Pacific Coast on the Western side. A fantastic trip, once again, which hopefully in the next few weeks we will compile our videos and still pics along with a ride report. In the meantime I though I'd give you all an update on the performance and endurance of the S20/BT023 combo. I'll include the pictures of the front and rear tires at both the 3600 mile mark and after I got home at just about 5000 miles. The rear has a lot of life left in it but the front seemed to go quickly to the wear bars right around 4500 miles. It didn't help that John and I were having some serious fun in all the twisties that he found for us but I think that it was the super fast sweepers and very abrasive stretch of road we rode on day four that caused most of the wear. I'm very pleased that I got at least 5000 miles on the Bridgestone Hypersport S20's and neither tire ever let me down. I'm considering mounting the new BT030 on the front as Cali rider had a new set of the BT030's on his Super Tenere on the ride and kicked my butt the whole time. :spank:
Anyway, after trying Michelins and Bridgestone's I've decided that I'm a Bridgestone fan and will stick to them for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I ran 38psi rear and 36psi front and both tires held their profile for the entire 5000 miles..

Front 3500 miles
Frontbefore_zpsc34af364.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front 5000 miles

Rear 3500 miles

Rear 5000 miles
I'm a fan of ST tires (Front 'n rear) myself.
We'll have ta go ride'in one of these days neighbor. I did HWY 162/FH7 last weekend, and have been been burning with guilt for not PMing you. :D

Me-FH7_zps19a48423.jpg

I'll snap picture tonight but my front tire is VOID of all tread but that in the center. I've been running 35 ~ 37 PSI too.
Hot days - Greater then 75F = 35 PSI
Less than 75F 37 PSI

I ran that rally of mega switch backs which was unkind to the nose and looking at my tire its destroyed!

FROM 06-16-2013, ONE YEAR AGO!!! Current tire is looking allot like this minus the wings. Tread in the center and offcenter is hamburger!

I'm killing tires! Is this a product of under inflation? I even verified gauges to confirm my gauges are not the root of evil (reading low)..... Wears bears SAFE in the center, Wear bars GONE on the sides. :(:(:(
IMG_20130615_185014_871_zps5624e941.jpg

Last I heard the S20 was no longer avail so I'm lookin for a new match and comments about the wear. Both sides are equally void of tread.
You cowboys might wanta check out 'Stones T30s; great grip, feed back, turn in, 'n they seem to be wearing fine on mah FJR, (I should get 6K mi. outta 'em?) and are only $224 a set at American Motorcycle Tire. :cheer:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is your 16 trashed??? It looks damn close!

That's the S20 Randy, and while it's pretty toasted it did go 5,000 miles which is pretty good for me on a sport tire. I'm still going with the T30 on the front next week and I'll do a similar tire report. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the S20 Randy, and while it's pretty toasted it did go 5,000 miles which is pretty good for me on a sport tire. I'm still going with the T30 on the front next week and I'll do a similar tire report. :thumbup:

Oppsee my bad! But you know what I meant! Love the tire but I may have fallen short at 4000 or so. The Chip Tar here is just shredding them!

Stone's NW regional rep said short of going to another brand, You might try the 30 it should last longer but take your time as its stiffer and and maybe a little less grip.

If you think about the cost of tire vs trip to the Hospital and a new bike, the TIRES we just burned off are CHEAP! Blah

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oppsee my bad! But you know what I meant! Love the tire but I may have fallen short at 4000 or so. The Chip Tar here is just shredding them!

Stone's NW regional rep said short of going to another brand, You might try the 30 it should last longer but take your time as its stiffer and and maybe a little less grip.

If you think about the cost of tire vs trip to the Hospital and a new bike, the TIRES we just burned off are CHEAP! Blah

Good point Randy. :thumbup: Mrs. Lefty's always reminding me not to skimp on grip for a few $'s. But I'm willing to be the guinea pig on the T30 vs. the S20. At my age I think I'll be o.k. Blah

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site

If you think about the cost of tire vs trip to the Hospital and a new bike, the TIRES we just burned off are CHEAP!
Blah
I ain't never understood this; ST tires have plenty of grip fer the street, and in cold, wet or dirty roads gotz mor grip that sports tires. :dunno:
I've spanked many a poseur on sport bikes w/ sport tire before. :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a T-30 rear today and will be palling it up with the S-20 in the front. The front has about 600 miles on it.

I wanted to try the S-20 on the rear before I went to a sport touring tire and to tell the truth I'm very disappointed at the mileage I've gotten from the S-20 rear. Would you believe I'm getting about 3,000 out of the S-20 rear! I've never seen less than 4,000 miles out of the BT-016 rears.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the T-30 mounted and get to go heat it up a little this weekend. I'll be joining the combo experimenters and don't see any profile issues to worry about. :)

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the BT023R/S20F Cliff. I got 5400 miles out of the S20 front which is the most I've gotten out of a sport front tire since I got my FZ 4 1/2 years ago. I've decided to try the T30 front which I got last Monday and will put about 1000 miles or so on next weekend. I'll update my thread next week afterwards. I look forward to your review on the T30R/S20F Cliff. :thumbup: