Bridgestone BT023 rear and S20 front

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. fellow hoons, I'll be switching my PP2CT rears and PP fronts for the BT023 rear and S20 front combo on Monday before I leave on a four day trip in two weeks. I'll try and diligent with an ongoing tire review (with pics) as I try this combination. I just toasted my last PP2CT rear (thanks Jen!) with just over 4,000 miles after getting 4700 on the last one.

The last two front regular Pilot Powers have averaged more than 7500 miles each. I haven't been totally dissatisfied with the Michelins after running Bridgestone BT016's previously but only averaged a little more than 3,000 miles on the front and rear 016's. Although I never had a grip issue with the Michelins I always felt like they would have a tendency to want to stand up in corners and not hold my line if I let up on the throttle, which Cali rider confirmed when he rode my bike earlier this year. I think that my previous Bridgestone's 016's took a little more effort to turn in on but would hold my line no matter what I did with my right hand.

Anyway, after doing a lot of web research I thought I'd give this BT023/S20 combo a try and let you all know what I find out grip and mileage wise.

P.S. Cali rider has run three sets of BT023's front and rear on his FZ6 and has had no grip issues, so if it's good enough for John it's certianly good enough for me. :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think as long as the profiles are the same, which I suspect they are, there won't be a big difference in the feel of the combo. I blow through 2 rears to 1 front on the BT-16 Pro. I think the wear factor will be much closer on the BT-023 and I watched a few great, fast riders( Cali rider and Jblk9695) on the BT-23 sets that have made me question why I'm not switching over. The biggest thing that comes to mind is warm up time and maybe winter riding with cooler road surface. In summer I've had great experience with the BT-021 which was the BT-023 predecessor. I only question whether the winter riding might change how I feel about the BT-023.
Let us know what you experience because I know you're fast and might experience cooler road temps sooner than we do down here. :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think as long as the profiles are the same, which I suspect they are there, there won't be a big difference in the feel of the combo. I blow through 2 rears to 1 on the BT-16 Pro. I think the wear factor will be much closer on the BT-023 and I watched a few great, fast riders( Cali rider and Jblk9695) on the BT-23 sets that have made me question why I'm not switching over. The biggest thing that comes to mind is warm up time and maybe winter riding with cooler road surface. In summer I've had great experience with the BT-021 which was the BT-023 predecessor. I only question whether the winter riding might change how I feel about the BT-023.
Let us know what you experience because I know your fast and might experience cooler road temps sooner than we do down here. :)

When it dips under 50F its almost always raining then too - so call me Fair Weather rider.... I ride for fun! But that is the primary concern is different warm up and cool down rates. The 16's and 20's swing pretty quick. Allowing bike and tires to warm is my nature so I don't see a problem there.
Will keep you posted tho!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tires mounted today, will pick up tomorrow and scrubbed in next Monday.
Real test in two weeks with a multi day, twisty, some slabbing ride with Cali rider. :rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I have BT023's and I hope to get at least 10K miles if not more on the pair. Unrelated digression: I don't unecessarily brake, etc., especially when I see that the next intersection light is---or going to be---red and always marvel at others (cagers, etc.) who race past me and then hard brake...all to get to the red light. Lefty, I envy you for yet another exciting ride with a great partner (Calirider). Bon Voyage!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Stacy, I'm looking forward to getting away for 4 days on some new NorCal roads with Cali. I'll be sure to post up a ride thread with pics and so forth when we get back. :rockon:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. so I just put the wheels back on the FZ with the new, mmmmmm., virgin rubber.
There's nothing like brand new tires. :steve:

Scrubbing in on Monday, if I can wait that long.

They said if I leave the stickers on the tires I'll get an extra 100 miles over the life of the tires...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So lefty, how's the back tire heat up? How do you like them so far? Does it turn nicely w/the 023 rear?

I was rolling the NEW rubbrrrrrr down the highway to the cage and it almost got away! Hopefully it behaves better once mounted on the bike! :BLAA:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only had a chance to put around 30 miles on them on Monday up in the twisties by my house. I do have to say though they do turn in and hold the line very well and it never even entered my mind that I was on a sport touring rear tire. Didn't get all the way to the edges yet, but fairly close. Leaving on a 4 day 1200 mile trip in the morning so I'll have something more substantial to report when I get back. :thumbup: So far though I'm liking them better than the PP's I had on before.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Only had a chance to put around 30 miles on them on Monday up in the twisties by my house. I do have to say though they do turn in and hold the line very well and it never even entered my mind that I was on a sport touring rear tire. Didn't get all the way to the edges yet, but fairly close. Leaving on a 4 day 1200 mile trip in the morning so I'll have something more substantial to report when I get back. :thumbup: So far though I'm liking them better than the PP's I had on before.

You all have a fun safe adventure! Wish I was with you hoons! :(

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got home from my 4 day, 1270 mile trip with Cali rider. My tire report will be forthcoming but suffice it to say these tires were awesome in all repects. Details and pics to follow soon. :rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got home from my 4 day, 1270 mile trip with Cali rider. My tire report will be forthcoming but suffice it to say these tires were awesome in all repects. Details and pics to follow soon. :rockon:

Lefty, I don't know where you went but did you and Calirider get to breath smoke---not from your new tires breaking in but of that genuine, every-summer NorCal/SoCal wildfire smoke that's blanketing some of the state at the moment? Gawd, it's uncomfortable, smoky, hot and sticky today in Sacramento area.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure you want me to taint your thread with my opinion about the combo but here goes; Used S20 up front and a NEW BT-023 out back. This is ABOUT THE 023 which I put it on new on 2013-08-17 and rode 25+ miles.

Sat 2013-08-18, 200+ miles.

First off, tire balanced out with zero weights. Bike is Smooth as silk at any speed. It is the first tire that I've ever noticed poor lines in at pie shaped intervals but thats fine as its nice and true down the highway.

This is pending but I ran an extra 1 PSI in the front and rear (34/37, compared to S20's) and the rougher roads let you feel the terrain. I'll dump 1 psi and evaluate the change of tire pressure vs road shock. It may be a good combo that requires me to loosen the compression settings up both front and rear to reduce ride harshness. Mine is fully adjustable! :thumbup:

Actual ride;
- Ride quality is smooth but I need to drop psi and see if it absorbs bumps a bit better. Will AMEND this with an answer.
- Noise is nill.
- Warm up; didn't push it early but after parking several times I didn't hesitate to push it and it stuck.
- Turn in; in my opinion is very smooth, very linear, very predictable but takes just a bit more effort than the 016 or S20s. 98% of the time I predict a line and the bike and I keep that line ONLY adjusting for road hazards (gravel, pot holes, debris etc.), and what I find with these is it took a bit more effort to keep the bike down as in it wants to stand up in the turns ever so slightly making me go wide. From this, I found myself closer to the yellow than I planned and having to adjust midway which I DON'T care for. Because it happened several times and under several different styles of corners, its the tires profile. Its just not a peaked (egg shaped) as the S20 thus I need to change my style abit for us to play nicely together and me stay where I expect to be.
- Traction, perhaps a minor ding here comparing it to the 016/S20s as I had the back out a couple times on invisagravel. I didn't see it, tire was up to temp and it moved out several inches. One time specifically it was on the move over some silt or sand material so I'll give it that one as road condition creating loss of traction. HOWEVER; i've never had the the S20 move as much as this tire. Could that be the 1 psi??? Granted its not void of chicken so maybe it needs a few more miles but I'm of the opinion its just a bit harder material and it may very well give up just a bit of traction to get that tread life. If it had a 5 ***** max, I'd give it ****.5 stars! Even with the pegs in, in low gear at 13K it stuck so I'm not complaining!
- Tread life; unknown. Started at 16,000

- Summary: appears to be a good combo, it may be good trade for dollars VS tread life, while still having pretty good traction! Time will tell!

On this ride the S20 up front never skipped a beat. Never loose, never moved, very predictable. I'm not sure If I'd like front and rear 023 due to increased turn in effort and my style.

Also, just so you know my expectation - good traction and at least 6000 miles before replacement on the 023. That's it for now.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody consider the T30 (isn't that the replacement to the BT023)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13WXGsNQOE]The Ron Haslam Bridgestone T30 Review - Donnington Park - YouTube[/ame]

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tailgate and FinalImpact.. We had to skirt a few wildfires on our planned ride routes over the weekend. Very, very smokey for a fair amount of our ride.
Your impressions, FinalImpact, mirrored mine almost to a tea. I'm just beat, but will post up my impressions of the Bridgestone's by tomorrow evening. :thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. here we go...

I agree with everything FinalImpact posted with a few additional thoughts.
I rode 1270 miles over 4 days with Cali rider on every kind of road and many different conditions. As Randy has stated, these tires/combo turn in very predictably and seriously hold the line which you have chosen, unlike the Pilot Powers which dropped in quickly but had a tendancy to want to stand up in corners at the touch of any throttle or braking input.

Day 1: A lot of highway/freeway miles to get to off the beaten path with in our case included about 15 miles of a well maintained gravel road. Once I got used to being super moto'ing it was quite fun as long as you planned for no sudden manuevers and allowing enough time to slow down for corners, of which there were many. Tires did very well grip and handleing wise on the gravel all things considered. Quite fun once you got used to it. :BLAA:

Day 2: Rode from Red Bluff to Carson City on verying degrees of pavement, chip sealed road in Mt. Lassen National Park, and some super fresh blacktop on Bucks Lake Road which we did twice due to a forest fire which we turned back from. Bucks Lake Road was perhaps the best motorcycle road I've ever ridden with consistant posted "25 mph" corners which were easily ridden at...well let's just say the posted limit. :D I never once thought that I was riding a "sport touring" tire the entire time and managed to get to the edges of the rear tire without ever losing the least amount of traction.

Day 3: From Carson City we circled So.Lake Tahoe and did a loop which crisscrossed the Sierra Nevada Mountains a couple of times. Now here's where our trip gets interesting.. Cali riders gps diverted us onto an unmaintained forestry road for about 15 mile that started out o.k. but the pavement quickly turned to a smoth gravel road to a hard packed dirt road with golf ball sized rocks, including running into a small herd of cows, two of which wouldn't get out of the way and we ended up herding them down the road for a half a mile until we were able to get around them. But still the BT023 and S20 was still in control. It was only after the road turned to a thick dusty, 1 foot rut ridden road that I started to be a little concerned. Finally, the dirt turned to 6 to 8 inch silt, which was like baby powder that John and I finally had to turn back after a mile or so. Still, I kept thinking that here I am on an FZ6 with sport/touring tire plowing through 8 inches of silt. Nuts, huh?!

We finally made it out to civilization and then headed up to the Sierra's for a 170 mile loop through afternoon thunderstorms. :eek: Even still the Bridgestones never missed a beat on an incredibly wet and trecherous, twisty section of mountainous roads.

All in all, these tires performed well beyond my expectations and I expect to stay with them for quite awhile. They maintained their round profile, stuck like glue tothe edges even in the fastest corners, did dirt, gravel, slopply roads and never compained.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cows, dirt, & BTO23 FTW!!! lol

49768d1377134302-bridgestone-bt023-rear-s20-front-cows.jpg