Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 180 Rear Question

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
So my rear tire is completely shot. The metal wiring is exposed down the middle of my tire. So naturally I need a tire, and the local shop here is charging 190$ for the rear tire and 45$ for installation.

So i've been comparison shopping on ebay and various other places trying to find it cheaper, and these ebay listings for bridgestone bt020 180 brings up a number of Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 180 Rear and 120 front.

I am wondering if this indeed is the stock tire, as it is clearly labeled as BT020 180...yet it is being called a Bridgestone Battleaxe. Is this in fact the stock tire and size? (because I have not heard of it being called the battleaxe). If not what are the dimensions of the stock tire?

Thanks in advance you guys, I appreciate it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreee with both comments above

How about this...

I have a rear Dunlop qualifer with almost no miles on it that needs to be patched (it has a clean finishing nail hole in it). I will send it to you for $20 plus shipping if you want it.

If you take the rear wheel off, getting the tire patched and mounted should run you around $50 or $60 total.

Just throwing it out there in case you want to save some $$$....good luck.

squirly

Reaction score
Visit site
never a good idea running a patched motorcycle tire and especially a rear tire! Get a new one. I shopping alot of different online sites and motorcycle super store is a good one looks like the bt021's are going to be replacing the BT020's but my hubby runs those on his cbr1100x and likes em so either is good. Call around different shops they all charge different for mounting abd balanceing. if you lived near us we'd mount and balance ya for 20.00 a tire.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
never a good idea running a patched motorcycle tire and especially a rear tire!

If you get the mushroom type plug fitted from the inside there is absolutely no risk. I picked up a nail in my rear tyre a week after fitting it, had it plugged and rode it like that with no problems until it needed replacing again.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
If you get the mushroom type plug fitted from the inside there is absolutely no risk. I picked up a nail in my rear tyre a week after fitting it, had it plugged and rode it like that with no problems until it needed replacing again.

Where did you get this mushroom type plug. I have a fairly new BT016 tire with a nail in it and no one will repair it, I had to buy another new tire. BTW, I got a BT016, which I highly reccomend, for $135.00 at a place called Suicycle Xtreme. Check them out. Sui Cycle Xtreme

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious. Why are you sticking with the BT-020? There are many great tires that get the same mileage but stick better.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
never a good idea running a patched motorcycle tire and especially a rear tire!

hhmmmm....many informed riders would disagree.

+1, it would be refreshing to see an end to these phantom warnings. I have never read an account of an internal patch repair on a tire failing and causing anything other than a slow leak of air.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Always fun to read all the varying opinions on patching or not. I had the same problem not long ago. Picked up a roofing nail in my <100 mile old Strada rear. :eek: I ordered a mushroom style kit, installed it, loved it...until I rode 30 miles and you could actually see where the plug had cratered, and was letting air through. So I strip plugged it and was debating an internal patch or a tube...when my brother-in-law bought me a new rear tire as a late bday present. It seems he's more passionate about the plugged tire debate than I am :)

And, so I'm not totally hijacking the thread :p Online does seem to have the best prices for tires. So far, I haven't had any trouble getting my tires mounted after ordering them myself. I guess you could come across the total PITA dealership that wouldn't mount a tire unless you bought it there. You can always call and ask. The local dealership I go to charged the same to mount and balance whether I bought the tire through them or brought it in. That made up my mind then and there.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new battleax rear tire this last spring and have put roughly 4,000 miles on it. It has been a great tire and I haven't had any real slippage with it. With that being said, $190 seem real steep. I think I paid like $120 for mine. As far as mounting is concerned. If you bring in just the rear wheel with the tire they are usually much cheaper and quicker to mount and balance than if you brought the whole bike. It's super easy on the FZ6 thanks mostly to the center stand.

I would definately recommend the BT020 180 rear.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
That should be the stock BT-020 tire. My FZ came with the 20's and it did indeed say "Battlax" on the sidewall.

$190 for the rear is WAY too much. Motorcycle Superstore has them for a little over $120.

Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 OEM Replacement Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Hey man thanks a ton on this one! I knew $190 was steep. Combined with the 44$ installation - I was looking at 234$ for a new friggen rear tire. This site you showed me here has them for 123$, free shipping!

Thanks a ton man I really appreciate it, looks like I'm goin to the motorcycle superstore.

Agreee with both comments above

How about this...

I have a rear Dunlop qualifer with almost no miles on it that needs to be patched (it has a clean finishing nail hole in it). I will send it to you for $20 plus shipping if you want it.

If you take the rear wheel off, getting the tire patched and mounted should run you around $50 or $60 total.

Just throwing it out there in case you want to save some $$$....good luck.

Hey man I appreciate the offer, and I'm not saying its a BAD idea to patch the tire. There is a certain peace of mind in buying a new tire. You can't deny there is some risk in running a patched tire, and its a matter of preference whether you can enjoy your ride living with that risk, or whether you cannot enjoy your ride whilst running that risk.

Me personally, it would be a lingering thought in the back of my mind - itching at me. I appreciate your kindness, but I would prefer a new tire over saving myself a couple of bucks. Thanks again man.

never a good idea running a patched motorcycle tire and especially a rear tire! Get a new one. I shopping a lot of different online sites and motorcycle super store is a good one looks like the bt021's are going to be replacing the BT020's but my hubby runs those on his cbr1100x and likes em so either is good. Call around different shops they all charge different for mounting abd balanceing. if you lived near us we'd mount and balance ya for 20.00 a tire.

GOOD CALL - I knew they were marking their prices up hardcore and upon asking around at 3 local motorcycle repair shops, I found a place that will do it for $24.99.

Combined with good price at motorycle superstore, I'm lookling at 123$ for the tire, and another 25$ for mounting and balancing. Total of 150$

The dealer was charging 190$ with 44$ installation bringing it to 234$. The difference?

84$ in savings.

Just curious. Why are you sticking with the BT-020? There are many great tires that get the same mileage but stick better.

To be completely honest, I've heard a number of positive things about a few different types of tires. I really can't make up my mind because some people will tell me for example that the Pilot Road's have terrific traction and are rated for 12,000 miles. And then the next day I hear that pilot roads are garbage and have no traction.

So to the best of my ability, I researched various tires, but still have no clue what to believe when people contradict each other. So i just assume stick with the safe choice - the stock battlax. I've ridden it for 8,600 miles and have a great feel for its traction. I'm confident and know what to expect with it.

Unless you guys can show me a tire with more traction with a longer life for a better price...the battlax was my choice out of pure framiliarity.

Thanks again though you guys! I really appreciate all the advice and assistance here. You guys are great.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
So to the best of my ability, I researched various tires, but still have no clue what to believe when people contradict each other. So i just assume stick with the safe choice - the stock battlax. I've ridden it for 8,600 miles and have a great feel for its traction. I'm confident and know what to expect with it.

No problem on the help, brother! That's what we're here for, right? :rockon:

And I'm in the same conundrum as you. My BT-016's are about shot (they replaced the stock BT-020's), so I'm looking for my next set of tires. Unlike some owners that didn't like the 20's, I actually did. They were predictable and I never had one problem with them slipping or anything. AND, I got 10k miles out of them (as opposed to 6k with the 16's...but that's to be expected). However, I prefer to not have to put more than one set of tires on the bike per year (I don't do track days, only weekend warrior stuff and commuting), so I'm thinking about going back to a sport-touring tire. And, I'm thinking about going back to the 20's on top of that. Like you said, I already know what to expect from them and they get outstanding mileage, and I can't ask for more than that.

I know they're available, but they aren't in production anymore (apparently, the BT-021's replaced them), so I'm kinda looking around for a set right now. I think I can get them for around $200 for a set, maybe a bit more than that, but I'm also looking at other tires. I read lots of good things about the Dunlop Roadsmart, but they're pretty expensive in comparison to the 20's.

As far as why you're going back to the 20's, I think for you, that's the right decision. You really can't go wrong with them for a sport-touring oriented tire!