Brave, dumb, or getting comfortable

Yours or the ones like ours with early oil changes?

:justkidding:
With regular maintenance, you'll get bored and buy a new one way before you wear this one out. Now get some oil, a 17mm socket or wrench, an oil filter and filter wrench and change that oil.....:thumbup:

I was going to give the same sarcastic answer. :D

Seriously, you've already neglected a new machine on the single most important maintenance. Without proper care, your bike isn't going to last long at all. After a hrad break-in, I changed mine at 75 miles then again at 600 then switched to synthetic at 1400 miles. Of course, I don't break in my engines like most. :thumbup:

No they don't (clog up quick) and haven't for years. Don't believe it, cut the filter open when you change the oil on a modern machine (cage or bike). Also, we haven't used non-detergent break in oil in years; they get good stuff right from the start. I will however say that 600 mile oil change is more than an oil change (or should be) as it gives the selling dealer a chance to check the bike over. Malcolm Smith's in Riverside California is great for this. If you do the 600 mile service on your own be sure to get the torque wrench out and check things like the head bearing torque, axle torque, engine mount bolt torque and so on as you will often find some things aren't as they should be.

FYI: An oil filter goes to by-pass so the engine doesn't grenade on you due to oil starvation. If it does get to the point of by-pass that poor engine has had some serious crap running through it hence the reason it went to by-pass.

As to riding it too hard. I pretty much ride the bike (new) as I would any other time although I did switch to full synthetic at like 300 miles and that made a huge difference.

Hi Charlie.

I may be wrong, I have been many times.
Every engine I have ever assembled has used a very gritty cam assembley lube. The idea being to wear the cam and lifters together. All the metal wearing from the rings, cyls, camshaft, bearings, lifters, rockers and valves gets stopped in the filter. If the oil filter wasnt on bypass after after a little bit, why does the oil turn silver and sparkle? Its not getting thru the filter as far as I know if its bigger than 40 microns. The pieces are less than 40 microns? I use the pure one filter its good down to 99.8 of 30 micron chunks and 99.2 of 20 micron chunks.

I have read many times that withen just a short time of starting a new engine and loading it the filter goes on bypass. Maybe this is untrue, but I believe it to be so.

Thing is almost all engine wear is caused by particles from 5-20 microns.

Back