Brake Squeak

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
Changed my brakes a few hundred km's back, however, the squeak while riding. Once I hit the brakes, the squeak goes away. I've taken everything apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, lightly sanded and cleaned the rotor, put it all back together (bolts at the correct torque), and noise is still there.

Don't really understand. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Changed my brakes a few hundred km's back, however, the squeak while riding. Once I hit the brakes, the squeak goes away. I've taken everything apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, lightly sanded and cleaned the rotor, put it all back together (bolts at the correct torque), and noise is still there.

humidity does that i think, my bike that never squeak sometimes does it in winter..never had it bother me tho..there are products for this kinda thing, have u tried spraying that stuff on the rotors?

tt2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there is a "disc brake quiet" that can be put on the backing of the
brake pads to eliminate the pads sliding on the calibers. Hope this helps
Ted

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
mine is the opposite, it sqeaks when my bike is about to come to a total stop. cleaned my brake rotors, blew away all the residue brake dust particles that's on the calipers. not so much sqeaking, but there still is. everything is fine when i ride.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is the opposite, it sqeaks when my bike is about to come to a total stop. cleaned my brake rotors, blew away all the residue brake dust particles that's on the calipers. not so much sqeaking, but there still is. everything is fine when i ride.

You may have some glaze on the pads themselves. If you scruff them up a little (sandpaper or smooth sidewalk) should take the glaze off and help with the noise.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Besides cleaning the parts they need to be lubed up so the pads retract fully.

I use Permatex "ultra disc brake caliber lube". Its designed for brake pins, pistons, seals etc. A little on the sliding surfaces/pins, etc should help, NOT THE PAD SURFACE OR DISC. Most automotive stores carry it...

Scott

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. So I have followed all of your tips.

1) Removed the pads. Light scrub with 80 grit sandpaper. Used air to blow off the dust. Then brake cleaner to remove grease.

2) Fine grit sandpaper and brake cleaner to clean the shims and other parts.

3) A very light film of lube on the backs of the pads (facing the pistons and clamp).

4) Cleaned the caliper with air, then cleaner.

5) Cleaned the rotors with air, cleaner, air, fine grit sandpaper, air, cleaner.

6) All of the above repeated with the other side.

7) Keeping my fingers crossed, and will let you know tomorrow!

Thanks for all of the advice!

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious to see if your problems go away. Mine have squeaked with two sets of pads whenever there is light pressure applied. It drives me nuts going stop sign to stop sign as that's when I'm barely on the brakes and the squeaking happens. Hard braking, or moving at speed and as quiet as can be.

Might pull the calipers off and do the full routine again to see if I can't shut the stupid noise up.

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, well, the squeak is still there. After all of that. However, I think I may have found the problem:

On the left caliper, the shims (support) that hold the brake pads to the bracket are loose. The slide back and forth, while the shims on the right don't.

Bad news is that each shim costs $35 CDN (or $20 from US retailers like bikebandits). I just hope that if I dish out the money the problem will be fixed.

See part 11, 20 in pic below.

S

s13browe

Take off the little clip look at it closely and understand how it sits in the caliper. Most of those clips can be slightly bent in a certain way that it will get its spring tension back and hold on stronger. Its hard to explain this without showing it to you. But if you squeeze them or pull them in the write direction depending on what they need you can easily tighten them up without replacing them. Hope this helps.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Take off the little clip look at it closely and understand how it sits in the caliper. Most of those clips can be slightly bent in a certain way that it will get its spring tension back and hold on stronger. Its hard to explain this without showing it to you. But if you squeeze them or pull them in the write direction depending on what they need you can easily tighten them up without replacing them. Hope this helps.

You're right on the money with this..... those clips are anti rattle devices, and are there to dampen out the squealing/squeeking disc brake pads make, as the 'chatter' on the rotor. Brake grease applied to the back of the pads is used for the same thing.... the material dampens out the vibrations that we hear as squealing.