brake drag

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
i got a new fz6 over the weekend and i noticed that there is a slight brake drag in both front and rear brakes is this normal?

i can spin both wheels when off the ground but there is no coast. they slow down right away.

thanks

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If it's a new bike take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. The wheels should complete a couple of laps before they stop, if you give them a fairly hefty spin.

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
yea at most when i spin the wheel I get 1/2 of a rotation. i think im gonna stop by my dealer tomorrow mornign and have them look at it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
yea at most when i spin the wheel I get 1/2 of a rotation. i think im gonna stop by my dealer tomorrow mornign and have them look at it.

Make them show you what it is supposed to look like on a new bike on the lot. Then there is no question when they check yours, that there is a problem. Is this a left over unit or something? Any idea how long the brake fluid has been in the bike?

S

Shamus McFeeley

This can happen if the wrong fluid is used or becomes old and dirty. The return hole in the caliper becomes clogged and won't release pressure. Sometimes a bad caliper piston seal(s) can cause this too if one or both (depending on how many pistons you have) doesn't fully engage and the brake pad gets wedged at an odd angle. On a new bike, it's hard to tell exactly. Taking it to the dealer like others suggested is probably the best bet.

Not the FZ6 caliper, but here is a representation of what it looks like. The small hole is the return:
DSC00069.jpg

Here is what a piston looks like when the brake fluid hasn't been changed in 30 years. You can see the pitting and corrosion:
DSC00070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
Make them show you what it is supposed to look like on a new bike on the lot. Then there is no question when they check yours, that there is a problem. Is this a left over unit or something? Any idea how long the brake fluid has been in the bike?

the bike is brand new 80 miles on it.

i think they just need an adjustment?

ill stop by the service dept. in the morning. hopefully it will be a quick fix.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
With the brakes off, can you roll the bike easily? If so, you are fine. The pads will always touch the rotors and there will always be a slight drag. Its normal.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
the bike is brand new 80 miles on it.

i think they just need an adjustment?

ill stop by the service dept. in the morning. hopefully it will be a quick fix.

There's not much in the way of adjustment...... the pads are supposed to float just off the surface of the rotor. The gap is usually .040" or so. If the pads are in constant contact, however slight, there will be heat generated due to the friction.

When you ride the bike to the dealership, as soon as you get there, take off your gloves and see if you can touch the rotor without getting burned. If the rotor is too hot to comfortably touch.... there is way too much drag.

There are only a couple of things that retract the pistons that pull the pads back off the rotor, after you apply the brakes. The piston seals themselves, and some anti rattle spring clips. Very simple springs, more like a single bend of copper-berrilium (sp). The hydraulics don't pull the pistons back, at all.

If the fluid gets hot enough, it will make the brakes mushy. This is what causes brake fade.

If there is any water in the brake fluid, and the fluid becomes hot enough, the water will turn into steam. Steam expands to 1000 times the volume of liquid water. Even a slight amount of water will lock the brakes.

Brake fluid absorbs water right out of the air. (Hygroscopic) It does this from the moment the seal is broken on the container of brake fluid..... worst case, it takes a bit more than a year for moisture to migrate past the seals in the brake system and collect enough to become a problem.

Change the fluid annually, avoid the issues. This is why I asked about the age of the bike.

If the brakes are dragging, insist they change the fluid. Don't accept them bleeding the brakes.... insist they flush all the old fluid out and replace with fresh fluid. The stuff in the resevoir(s) should have no color at all to it. Ensure they inspect both front, and back brakes.

Last edited:

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the help everyone. i rode for an hour this morning and at the end the brake rotors were not hot to touch, and i stopped at the dealer and they said it was normal.
i guess i was just being to cautious.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
thanks for the help everyone. i rode for an hour this morning and at the end the brake rotors were not hot to touch, and i stopped at the dealer and they said it was normal.
i guess i was just being to cautious.

Knowledge is power. Ignorance is painful. You did good, asking the question.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Something I forgot to mention: could your axle nut be too tight?

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
When i took mine home from the box, i checked it over like 100 times that night. I notice also that with about 15 miles on her the rear wouldnt spin anymore then one turn. I called dealer he told me give it at least the 600 mile check up. Sure enough he was right she spins about 2 to 3.5 turns now with not alot of force. He told me its just new pads and not working back and fourth alot and etc..... I'd give it a go unless you think its really bad feeling.

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
When i took mine home from the box, i checked it over like 100 times that night. I notice also that with about 15 miles on her the rear wouldnt spin anymore then one turn. I called dealer he told me give it at least the 600 mile check up. Sure enough he was right she spins about 2 to 3.5 turns now with not alot of force. He told me its just new pads and not working back and fourth alot and etc..... I'd give it a go unless you think its really bad feeling.

im starting to see the same thing as I put more miles on it.

thanks for the help everyone

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Most disc brakes drag a tiny bit. (That's one reason they are so good in the rain) I noticed that mine dragged a bit for the first 800 miles or so but now they seem to be loosening up nicely.

J-Speed Inc.

Owner of J-Speed Inc.
Reaction score
jspeedinc.webs.com
It's always a good idea to pay special attention to the operation of your brakes. I had a front caliper on my SV650 partially seize while I was riding. I let go of the brake handle, but it felt like the brakes were still being applied. I was able to use the onboard tool kit to loosen the bleeder screw and ride the bike home carefully using just the rear brakes.

Always a good idea to give the front wheel a spin after a couple hundred miles of riding and apply the front brakes to make sure everything is working properly. Since that incident, I always do this!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine do the exact same thing. (Sometimes they're snug and other times they're somewhat loose) They always seem to rub more than you would think they would, but they are limbering-up with miles. Neither of my wheels have ever been able to spin freely though. (It certainly does not affect the performance or mileage)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found the frornt brakes tend to drag more than the rear (probably due to two disc vs one). As stated earlier, ir you can get a half to 3/4 (or more) in the front, your fine.

Yamaha recommends changing the lines and seals every 2 years!..

My fronts were starting to drag on my 07 FZ with 5k miles on the clock. I dissassembled/cleaned and re-asssembled with disc brake grease (made specifically for pistons, seals etc. New fluid and later SS Hel lines, the brakes are solid and do not drag.... I can probably do a stoppie..

As a side note, my 04 FJR front brakes (same 4 piston calibers as the FZ) were dragging with NO free spin. I could feel the brakes dragging just pushing it about in the garage.. New seals (everything inside was clean), brake grease and new fluid, big difference. 3/4 free spin..