Brake Caliper Modification for 06 model fz6?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am starting to get myself organised to do my front end...forks & brakes.

Most of the stuff i want is easy to find, but i am having heaps of trouble finding replcacement brake calipers.

I want to upgrade, am putting wave discs on, and while i am at it, i would like to upgrade from the standard 2 pot calipers, to some 4 pot calipers.

Does anyone now of any out there that fit, either from another bike, or Aftermarket? Dont want to do the R6 fork conversion, so am looking for calipers only.

Any help would be great.

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, does anyone know whether the 07, 08 4 pot front brake calipers fit on 04-06 forks? If so, i might just upgrade that way.

Cant seem to find much elsewhere, neither can the Yamaha dealer i have looking for me as well.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, does anyone know whether the 07, 08 4 pot front brake calipers fit on 04-06 forks? If so, i might just upgrade that way.

Cant seem to find much elsewhere, neither can the Yamaha dealer i have looking for me as well.

I don't think the O7 or 08 calipers will work unless you change your forks?

But I'm not positive. I've attached the parts diagrams for the forks and the calipers for both years.

You may want to go to a dealer and measure the bolt pattern on the 07/08 and the distance from the mount point on the forks to the rotors to see if they match the 06? May want to check the rotor diameters also.

HTH

Lewis

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the O7 or 08 calipers will work unless you change your forks?

But I'm not positive. I've attached the parts diagrams for the forks and the calipers for both years.

You may want to go to a dealer and measure the bolt pattern on the 07/08 and the distance from the mount point on the forks to the rotors to see if they match the 06? May want to check the rotor diameters also.

HTH

Lewis

That was my next step, about to get on the bike and go down there now. Thanks for the useful diagrams. :rockon:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 early model has 83mm pitch mount and, later model from '07 has 100mm(Sumitomo MOS64 Series).

I could recommend you to use TZ250(racing bike) caliper (made by Nisshin). Probably, it will has too strong stopping power but, we Japanese geeks prefer to use Nisshin than Sumitomo because Sumitomo's one has sometime having problem on torelance or accuracy in long term use. If you wanna try, send me PM. I'll tell you PN

Incidentally, TZ250 one has larger piston than Sumitomo. You might need to choose the pad providing easier control than stopping power.

To prevent your misunderstanding, TZ250 has 83mm mount and, made by Nisshin, FZ6 later model has 100mm mount and, made by Sumitomo.

In addition, you could also use below.
TZR250(3MA, 3XV)
FZR250(3LN)
TZ125

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Kumaj, THAT'S VERY GOOD INFORMATION. Will PM you re details.

I did find out today when i went to the shop that the swap was not a straight one.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you....... I'll choose 4 pod casting brembo with bracket........ nono just kidding:D

I agree with using OEM products because expendable supplies(Seal, piston) are provide for decades.

Additionally, Triumph (Speed triple) use 83mm Nisshin with "Triumph" logo of surface!!! I guess completely same spec with TZ250 one. It means TZ250 one has capable on daily use. Dust seal???? Yes! they have

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now TZ calipers would be very cool, that would be the ultimate bling.

KUMAJ - Would a different master cylinder be required to have the correct "pull" on the calipers? Or, would the FZ MC would fine?

Wolfman - If you haven't done they yet, stainless steel brake line make a huge difference in feel; firmer, no mush and much better feedback.

Please keep us up to date on your progess, should like you have a great plan laid out. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now TZ calipers would be very cool, that would be the ultimate bling.

KUMAJ - Would a different master cylinder be required to have the correct "pull" on the calipers? Or, would the FZ MC would fine?

Wolfman - If you haven't done they yet, stainless steel brake line make a huge difference in feel; firmer, no mush and much better feedback.

Please keep us up to date on your progess, should like you have a great plan laid out. :thumbup:

I have got the braided lines, just have not put them on yet, was waiting to do everything at once. I have braided lines on my Ducati, and they make a world of difference. But i just like Big Brakes. If i am going to go 4 pot, i want to get something decent, and Yes i am unashamedly looking for some bling factor!

Hence i am toying with the idea with Petal Discs too, but Kumaj has commented that they may overheat due to being thinner than stock discs...i do like to brake hard, so maybe that's an issue...have had brake fade on the Ducati, and it scares the crap out of you half way down a hill!

Good point about the Master Cylinder too...have thought the same, just thought i would get to the point where i have some choice calipers to fit, before i worried about the next possible dilemma....Lol!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point on the rotors. Would Galfer rotors hold up against fade? I've never tried the wave rotor, they look cool at least!

Brembo and a couple over companies make some very nice MC, not cheap, about $350+ USD off the top of my head.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I suppose to need to take matching with master cylinder and also sent him the parts list of master cylinder on each model. To prevent slip down at panic brake, need running consideration of mastercylinder and pad combination.

Actually, I don't know the piston(pod) daimeter of early FZ6 but, Later FZ6 has 30.2+27mm piston and TZ has 34+30mm. Could be need master cylinder matching. Also I gave him several choce from YAMAHA 83mm line-up.

At first time, I worry about something about racing caliper on daily use but Triumph using in Speed Triple... . It is the reason I said I could recommend him the TZ's.

Any way, up to him.

Wolfman-san Enjoy!

Isn't there any guy use similar caliper at FZ6 cup?

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am pretty sure that they can only change the brake lines to braided, and that's it, apart from racing brake pads in the FZ6 Cup.

Am going to hunt for some TZ, or TZR calipers, and i also have a guy from the bike shop, getting in contact with the brembo rep to see what they can do.

Just found the Galfer discs, they look very nice, and cost about the same as a pair of the "Braking" petal discs.

Brembo or TZ Calipers, Galfer Discs, Goodridge Braided Lines with clear shroud and carbon connectors...now that would look and work sweet. coupled with a planned full suspension upgrade, it would transform the bike!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I can hardly wait to see this one, too cool! :thumbup::D

All you need now are super sticky tires an you'll be doing stoppies all day long.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what you need to do Wolfman. Find a wrecked Aprilla 1100, and simply remove the entire front end. You get Ohlins upside down Ti plated forks, Brembo radial brakes, SS brake lines a Brembo MC and very cool front wheel...problem solved. Now how on earth you mount it one the FZ I have NO idea...good luck and post lots of photos! ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I can hardly wait to see this one, too cool! :thumbup::D

All you need now are super sticky tires an you'll be doing stoppies all day long.

Have Got Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's front & back for winter. Will probably go to Michelin Pilot Powers in Summer if i need tyres by then...which i probably will.

Cant fault these tyres, you can get right over to the edge with confidence, and in the wet, they are fantastic.

But the front end upgrade is on! Racetech suspension overhaul, including gold valve emulators, also in progress. Will take a little while i reckon to pull all the bits together, and pay for them!

Last edited:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
According to grommit-san's link, DelayNomore-san try to find one....

Now ... conference call finished... . I'm gonna go bed

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok yesterday i continued my enquiries about the place re calipers, and got to nringing a couple of dismantlers. One of them said, i am gonna look, and see what i can find.....an hour later he rang me up, and said the only set of decent 4 pot calipers he could find that had a 83mm gap between pinch bolts was from a 91-92 GSXR 1100! Going to investigate in person tomorrow, the plot thickens....still nothing on the possibility of Brembo's...can only dream!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok yesterday i continued my enquiries about the place re calipers, and got to nringing a couple of dismantlers. One of them said, i am gonna look, and see what i can find.....an hour later he rang me up, and said the only set of decent 4 pot calipers he could find that had a 83mm gap between pinch bolts was from a 91-92 GSXR 1100! Going to investigate in person tomorrow, the plot thickens....still nothing on the possibility of Brembo's...can only dream!

I would think the GSXR calipers would work well. Again you'd need to look into the MC to caliper ratio.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Dream with the Bremo's yes... but also take out a second mortgage! ;)

I'm going to only do the braided steel for now. The '08 brakes are pretty good but I also still need to put in the 1.0 KG Racetech springs to stop a lot of the dive. If I could get both of my Son's over at the same time, we could figure out the sag at least!