Bought the FZ6!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I went back to the guy today and bought the FZ6. It's an 06 with only 1400 miles and cost me 3600 bucks. Perfect condition. The guy bought it 2 years ago and only put on 500 miles. I did that much on my GS500 the first 2 weeks I had her! LOL

Rode it home, about 45 minutes all highway. WOW what a great bike! So glad I chose this over the F4i. It's got amazing power, control, and stability. Being able to go from 65 to 80 in a second was amazing to me. The GS would take 10 times as long. Actually the stability on the highway is what I noticed the most. My old GS was getting blown all over the place, even though it had very similar fairings (I took off the sides and left the upper cowling). Before I wasn't able to pass big trucks without the feeling of getting knocked off my bike...lol. Now, I didn't even notice it. It actually feels like a 'real' motorcycle.

So thanks for your help. I'll be around for a while. Here are a couple pics the owner had on CL:

FZ6.jpg

FZ62.jpg

KyCat

Reaction score
Visit site
Sharp looking bike. I'm in the market for my first bike (FZ6) and I''m looking @ an untitled 2009. Enjoy the new ride!:thumbup:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Sharp looking bike. I'm in the market for my first bike (FZ6) and I''m looking @ an untitled 2009. Enjoy the new ride!:thumbup:

Even though my GS500 was a PITA, I don't regret buying it for learning purposes. There were a couple stupid mistakes that caused me to drop my bike. At the time I really didn't care, cause I didn't invest very much money in the GS. If I dropped my FZ now cause of the same stupid beginner mistakes, I'd be pissed! lol

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats - you've made a wise decision.

Sure, the F4i would have been fun on the short trips - but the first long trip you ran you would have hated.

For me, the FZ6 is a perfect machine - sure it's not as targeted as a full blown sports bike, nor is it strictly a tourer - but for me it gives me enough of both to make me happy.

Keep the maintenance up, and treat her well, and she'll look after you!

Now comes the mods - and my first recommendation is the bd43 headlight mod. (so both headlights are utilised on low beam)

After that, I'd grab the double bubble Puig screen (or any other after market screen!) and you'll STILL have money left over, that you otherwise would have spent on the F4i.

Maybe get a G2 throttle tamer, for stop/start traffic, DEFINITELY sliders, to protect her beauty - and you'll STILL have money left over!

LOL

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. I'm gonna go take a photo of the front of my bike, to show you the difference of the Puig double bubble!

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Now comes the mods - and my first recommendation is the bd43 headlight mod. (so both headlights are utilised on low beam)

After that, I'd grab the double bubble Puig screen (or any other after market screen!) and you'll STILL have money left over, that you otherwise would have spent on the F4i.

Maybe get a G2 throttle tamer, for stop/start traffic, DEFINITELY sliders, to protect her beauty - and you'll STILL have money left over!

My first change on the bike is tires. It's got the ORIGINAL stock tires. I'm looking at the Pilot Road 2's. I'm sure they'll make a HUGE difference.

I'm also already searching for windscreens. I guess Zero Gravity doesn't make one for the FZ6, but the Puig DB does look pretty good.

I've heard that the frame sliders will crack the frame if layed down. I want some, but this is my main concern. What kind do you have? I was looking at oesaccessories.com for the sliders.

New exhaust may come next year, but I'm cool with the stock setup now.

What is the best fender eliminator kit?

Well I guess I need to move on to the mods section now....lol.

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first change on the bike is tires. It's got the ORIGINAL stock tires.

Oh, absolutely recommend tyres. Have a look at the Metzler Z8. I've never heard of them delaminating, but the Michelins have a question mark over them for me....

I guess Zero Gravity doesn't make one for the FZ6, but the Puig DB does look pretty good.

I believe there IS a Zero Gravity 'screen for the FZ6, but as I live in Oz, my options were fairly limited!

I've heard that the frame sliders will crack the frame if layed down.

Yeah, I've heard the cheap, knock-offs might/will, but if you buy from a reputable brand, then everything should have the correct breaking strains. (not to mention, if you drop your ride hard enough to bend/crack the frame with a good quality slider, I reckon you've got bigger problems!)

What kind do you have?

On my to-do list! As I'm just about to fit the PowerBronze lower fairings, I was going to fit the PowerBronze sliders, but I haven't heard anything bad about the OES ones.

New exhaust may come next year, but I'm cool with the stock setup now.

I STRONGLY recommend drilling out before you sink $700 or so on an exhaust setup!

I'm a huge advocate that loud pipes saves lives etc, but I've gotta say, I love that the FZ6 is quite! Especially on long trips!

What is the best fender eliminator kit?

Really your preference, they are much the same, with slightly different designs.

I can't have one, in Oz, as Mr Plod looks unfavourably upon bikes that theoretically could hurl, apparently, huge debris at motorists that follow my motorcycle too closely - so we MUST have a rear fender, or risk the wrath of the authorities!

Well I guess I need to move on to the mods section now....lol.

Ask any questions you may have, and I've found everyone here is only too happy to offer advice/help.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I STRONGLY recommend drilling out before you sink $700 or so on an exhaust setup!

I'm a huge advocate that loud pipes saves lives etc, but I've gotta say, I love that the FZ6 is quite! Especially on long trips!

I agree with the idea of a cheap alternative for the exhaust, however I'm cool with the stock setup at the moment. Plus, I do a lot of night riding in my area, which is very densely populated, so I really don't want a very loud exhaust. I hear the scorpion is throaty yet not so loud. We'll see...

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
G2 throttle tamer- does that work?

I have the FZ6S2 2009 which is supposed to have the improved fuel injection but if I go into a corner on a clsed throttle ( I know I am not supposed to) and open the throttle it jerks as I am leant over as the throttle bodies fill with petrol again

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the idea of a cheap alternative for the exhaust, however I'm cool with the stock setup at the moment. Plus, I do a lot of night riding in my area, which is very densely populated, so I really don't want a very loud exhaust. I hear the scorpion is throaty yet not so loud. We'll see...

You can actually make the exhaust it a little more "throaty" without drilling holes in it. Last summer I installed a K&N Airfilter and (as far as I and other members in here are able to hear) it changes the rather "electric/whining" idling sound a bit to the throaty side... Cheap "sound" upgrade.

The frame/svingarm/fork slider set I bought last year looks good. Luckily I haven't tested them and hopefully I never will :D ... I think most people in here would agree with me that drops from stand still accounts for more than half of those accidents - any frame slider would do a great job there!
If the bike got dropped at high speed and the frame cracked because of the frame slider... Cracked frame vs. Totally scratched frame => You would be wanting to replace it no matter what.

And congrats :)

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see you went with the FZ6. Nice color. Swap out the rubber and feel the difference. Then you can work on improving your leaning, turning, once your confident on your tires.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Nicde looking bike man, congrats!! I paid $3700 for mine last May with 6600 miles and I thought that was a good deal, you got an almost new bike for $100 less - good for you man!!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see you went with the FZ6. Nice color. Swap out the rubber and feel the difference. Then you can work on improving your leaning, turning, once your confident on your tires.

Oh yeah, that's one of the first things I'll do. First I'll do a full fluid change on it, then to the tires...

Nicde looking bike man, congrats!! I paid $3700 for mine last May with 6600 miles and I thought that was a good deal, you got an almost new bike for $100 less - good for you man!!

Thanks man. It's gonna be an awesome summer this year!