Boots, and the almost never ending search

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
for the perfect pair. At least for me. I've always had a dislike for every riding boot I have ever tried on, leaving me to just find regular boots. Aware of the shortcomings, I need something I can wear when I get there, and have some manner of feel while riding.

I went to the Army Navy today to look at Matterhorns, as recommended by a fellow rider friend of mine. Didn't really like them, but found some others that I did. All were of the tactile/swat variety. By far the most comfortable were the Timberland Pro Series. I picked up the Warhawk 8" and they are wearable comfortable right out of the box. I feel I can wear them daily if need be and they will offer a good bit of protection aside from being splints for my ankles, but I like free range of motion there so I take my chances. Gore Tex, waterproof and breathable, they should be a good boot for riding. I picked them up on sale for $116, crossed out sticker was $164. I think the local Army Navy is blowing them out as there were only a few left, which is a shame.

Not bad looking either:
94587_WARHAWK_8_sm.JPG

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm right there with you! I tried a pair of riding boots last year but ended up selling them because they were very uncomfortable and were downright dangerous.

The boots that I had were too thick in the toe and did not allow my toe to get under the shifter properly. I also locked up the rear wheel a few times because I could not feel how much pressure I was putting on the brake pedal. After skidding the rear wheel a couple of times, I decided I was safer riding without the motorcycle boots.

Now, I ride with an old pair of Danner workboots. They're made from heavy leather/ cordura/ gore-tex and fit like a glove. They probably won't protect me like dedicated motorcycle boots will, but they've got to be better than tennis shoes or sandals.:eek:

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boots are the single simplest thing to buy.

Buy Sidi.

Pick the type of boot you want and get the best one you can afford.

Comfort, style, as loud as you want, or as subtle (the black on black look ALMOST civilian barring the heel when covered by pants)....and the best protection on the market.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't ride without proper riding boots. You just need to find the right boots for you.

These are mine - Berik GPX Waterproof - very comfortable and heaps of protection for toes, heels, ankles and shins. Wouldn't risk riding without them.

Like lone said, fine one in your budget and that you are comfortable with :thumbup:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the Sidi On-Road boots. Not as much protection as their "Sport" boot line, but definitely comfortable and waterproof. They give great feel for the shift and brake levers.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, but after seeing what can happen when someone wears regular boots and has an off, it's riding-specific boots for me only. And like lonesoldier, it's Sidi, period. Even my commuting boots are Alpinestars SMX-4's. I simply won't skimp on gear.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

Buy Sidi.

Comfort, style, as loud as you want, or as subtle (the black on black look ALMOST civilian barring the heel when covered by pants)....and the best protection on the market.

+1 for sidis. i could wear them all day long. in fact, i know people who wear their sportrider/racing boots all day at the local dealership. they aren't sitting down all day, either.

good protection too:thumbup:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Check my review out if you're interested for Daytona shorties.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/10209-frey-daytona-shorty-boots.html

A friend got a nice pair of Dainese boots that are a bit more elegant if you care. I am not talking about their fashion shoes, these are similar to my Daytonas but nicer. Can't remember their model name though.

Generally there are a lot of nice options out there, you just need to look around a bit to find them. :)

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site

Buy Sidi.

Another +1 for the Sidi's. Vertigo Black's for the summer, Vertigo Goretex for the winter :D

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, but after seeing what can happen when someone wears regular boots and has an off, it's riding-specific boots for me only. And like lonesoldier, it's Sidi, period. Even my commuting boots are Alpinestars SMX-4's. I simply won't skimp on gear.

So which is it? Sidi's or something else?:spank:

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Sidi for me!!!!:thumbup:

Got a pair of Sidi B-2, 2 years ago. A fair trade of comfort and protection. I've worn then all day long and only complaint I've ever had is the achilles would squeak when I first got them. Nothing a little WD40 couldnt fix and no more squeak but I havent had to do since I first bought them since they're broke in.

Would love to get a pair of Vortice and Street Burner. :D

I tried Alpinestars boots but I wasn't to big on the inner bootie and the increase size of the overall boot. Sidi is smaller and comfortable. Yea they cost more but they're very well worth the price!!!!:thumbup:

Squik

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a pair if Weise "Highway" boots and love them. They are comfortable, not too hot, not too cold and have plenty of protection.

Link to their page.
Highway boot

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was having the same dilemma myself, I already have some over the ankle m/c specific boots but once I donned my leather riding pants I felt exposed and not fully protected. After reading similar threads and revues on this and other forums, I bit the bullet and got the Sidi Strada Evo Air boots. The Sidi Fusions seemed nice but a little overkill for my non-track use. The Stada's have great ventilation, are subdued looks wise and broke in pretty well after only a couple of wearings. You can't tell they're on while riding and I feel protected now in case of an off.