BOOT help

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
Bill, thanks for your explanation. Basically I’m looking for a boot that can be worn causally but gives me enough protection to hopefully keep me out of a cast in the event of say a minor accident(low slide). Being a young guy who is still getting the whole skill and experience thing down I know that the odds are against me in avoiding a crash. I know full well that there is no boot out there that can guarantee absolute protection in a crash but I figure I why not every thing in my power to put the odds in my favor without breaking the bank. So when I say I want good protection I talking about a boot that prevents my ankle from spinning 360 and keeps all my bones on the inside along with providing adequate abrasion resistance( Basically when I look down after the crash I REALLY don’t want to see bone) . And if it provides extra protection to my shin that a huge bonus.

- Dave

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have these: Alpinestars Ridge Motorcycle Boots :: New Enough, LTD

They are protective, waterproof, easy on and off but secure when fastened up. Easily worn under jeans and with a short breakin, are comfortable to walk around in. Not the best in ankle protection for high speed (track day) but will handle most speed limit crashes. They do get a bit warm because they are waterproof. I wear them in hot, mild and cold weather with plain tube socks. Excellent cold boot!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense Elm, but I would never consider those boots you posted as great riding boots.

High-quality purpose built street motorcycle boots are the only way to go IMHO. I actually take it one step further and will only wear race boots but I tend to use my protective equipment every now and then :D

Actually, they're NOT great riding boots. They're only good riding boots. I have a slight idea as to what our buddy wants so I mentioned a pair of boots that are good for everything.

If you want boots specifically for riding and are less than $200 US, try these:

Teknic 2008 Catalog

These are only $100 US and are specifically designed for sportbikes, but have a formal appeal.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
How bad? Only at first or even after the break in period?

-Dave

Most full up racing boots squeak and the ones that do will squeak forever when you walk - it's b/c of the full armor on the backs/ankles that are pinned together to allow movement so the plastic portions squeak against each. FYI - The two sidis I pointed out are not full race boots and don't squeak when I walk as they have "leather" in the bending areas.

Last edited:

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Bill, thanks for your explanation. Basically I’m looking for a boot that can be worn causally but gives me enough protection to hopefully keep me out of a cast in the event of say a minor accident(low slide). Being a young guy who is still getting the whole skill and experience thing down I know that the odds are against me in avoiding a crash. I know full well that there is no boot out there that can guarantee absolute protection in a crash but I figure I why not every thing in my power to put the odds in my favor without breaking the bank. So when I say I want good protection I talking about a boot that prevents my ankle from spinning 360 and keeps all my bones on the inside along with providing adequate abrasion resistance( Basically when I look down after the crash I REALLY don’t want to see bone) . And if it provides extra protection to my shin that a huge bonus.

- Dave

Based on that I think they would be fine. They support well and would prevent what you stated. I didn't know if you were wanting something with a metal shell around the ankle or something. I'm a new rider also and I think the boots are fine for the street. Might check with your local store to see if they have them and you can look at them for yourself.

Bill3508

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
Once again I cannot thank all of you enough your advice and suggestions have been incredibly helpful. Bcityroller I’m going to take a serious look at the sidis you suggested and I plan to ride out to a couple of local shops this weekend to try some on if there in stock.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: You will do well by these people on the forum. They are respectable, and honest. SO ask your questions.. they will give you great answers and advice.

TCX Matrix GTX II Touring Motorcycle Boots :: New Enough, LTD

I have these in the women's version (Sunray) I tested them out walking around Provincetown in 90 degree weather. One hour ride up, and back.. it did get warm, but the comfort was there. And I wear my jeans on the outside, they are a bit snug in the calf..

my 2 cents ;)

Deb

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Dave,

There are not many boots that are very comfortable to walk in from the peg.
My advice to you is wear the jeans you intend to wear at school and then go and try a whole load on.
My Hein Gericke (Bulson boot) are at the budget end of your wallet. It took me two weeks to get used to wearing them for walking. I used a soft insole to start with.
I wore them at Derry airport yesterday for three hours and a one hour flight with no problems. Even walking 3/4 of a mile to get my parking ticket validated was ok.
I may even convince the missus that they would make excellent bed ware but thats a different story.
I personally would avoid a short boot as they reduce tibial protection.
Good luck

Nelly

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again I cannot thank all of you enough your advice and suggestions have been incredibly helpful. Bcityroller I’m going to take a serious look at the sidis you suggested and I plan to ride out to a couple of local shops this weekend to try some on if there in stock.

After you check out the Sidis - if you like the fit but not the cost you could consider trying to track down a pair of these Setup Vision Boots. Apparently they were/are a lower cost version of Sidi boot in that the use their manufacturing processes (so I expect basically the same fit) and most materials. I haven't seen a pair in-person so not sure if the quality is less or if you really just save the cost of the Sidi name. They also seem not to have taken off so they're a little hard to find but a few places showed up with google.

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
after asking around as you are i narrowed my selection down to alpinestars, sidi or oxtar, i then went and tried on various styles. my two main criteria were comfort and protection, cost came into it but i believe if you buy quality in the begining then it works out cheaper in the long run. the end result of my research was tcs (formerly oxtar) competizione gtx, once broken in they are very comfy and offer great protection.

TCX-Competizione-S-Goretex

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking around and considering your suggestions I realize that I’m going to have to up my budget to get the quality I want. So if any one has any boots in the 200-300$ range (lets keep it under 300$) go ahead and post them. I will just have to scrap up a few extra bucks and wait a few more weeks.
P.S- If any one has any thoughts on A* vs. sidi I would like to hear your preferences and reasons behind liking one over the other. I ask because it looks like these are going to be the two major brands that I will be deciding from.

Thanks, Dave

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site