Boneman's Bi-Xenon HID projector mod - In Progress

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Thank you! I can say that I finally like the front end of the bike now, although having a new 09 front fairing with this mod would be fantastic! :rockon:

I still might pick up a replacement set of projectors so one day I can swap out the H4 one and get the Angel Eyes working, but not a priority right now. I'm also looking into replacing my ballasts with some slim ballasts.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
The black paint really make the look. Great job. I am really surprised the seller won't send you a new unit. That really is crappy support.
Either way, I think removing the angel eye is better. I don't particularly care for the look, especially since you can't even see it with the lights really lit up. It reminds me of those beater Civics running around trying to look like Audis.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing the same mod, but going the makanouchi route. Can you tell me what product you used to mount the ballasts to the side of the fairing? I have some "heavy-duty" 3M double-sided tape, but I'm afraid to rely on that alone to hold the ballast in place.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I'm doing the same mod, but going the makanouchi route. Can you tell me what product you used to mount the ballasts to the side of the fairing? I have some "heavy-duty" 3M double-sided tape, but I'm afraid to rely on that alone to hold the ballast in place.

As stated in my write up, I used industrial adhesive backed velcro. Allows for ease of removal and repositionsing and holds tight. Been riding for a few weeks now and zero movement from the ballasts.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated in my write up, I used industrial adhesive backed velcro. Allows for ease of removal and repositionsing and holds tight. Been riding for a few weeks now and zero movement from the ballasts.

Saw that in your write up and was wondering of there was a specific brand/product that you chose. I then went to Home Depot and saw "Industrial Strength" velcro ...

I actually chose to use 3M Dual Lock tape since that's what was supplied with my Laminar Lip and that sucker hasn't budged at all. Got two 12" pieces from eBay for ~$6.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to do this mod too, but need a partner to split the H4/H7 pairs with. If you're up for that, PM me. I'll buy both sets, and ship an H4 + H7 to you. We'll split the cost and shipping equally.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Saw that in your write up and was wondering of there was a specific brand/product that you chose. I then went to Home Depot and saw "Industrial Strength" velcro ...

I actually chose to use 3M Dual Lock tape since that's what was supplied with my Laminar Lip and that sucker hasn't budged at all. Got two 12" pieces from eBay for ~$6.

Nice! That will work like a charm!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I missed this thread somehow....

Boneman, that is SICK! What an incredible improvement in looks and safety! I've always liked the R1 projectors and this really makes your bike look VERY cool!

Well done and as always, fantastic write-up!

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
man both you guys make me jelous, (although i dont really know why as my tiger came stock with projectors, i think its just the mod bug :spank:)

both of your guy's bikes and prodjects turned out fantastic.. keep up the good work,

both you guys also did great writeups on the mods (which i think helps build and inspire confidence in others)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for another awesome write-up Boneman!:thumbup: Was inspired....just ordered two of the kits on your supplied link (one H4 and one H7). Also, ordered two regular ballasts and two slim. The seller wasn't sure if the slim would "fit". Not sure why he/she would say such a thing. After seeing your cramped space, thought it would be nice to go with as small as possible. Hopefully it will be compatible, if not I will have the back-up ballasts. Thanks again for all the time you take to document the cool mods.:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Anytime Jman! Gald it helped you out and you took the plunge. You wont be dissapointed. The slim ballast should work fine for you as I believe all the ballast connectors are all the same.

Just last week, I was riding with 2 friends on the Sunshine Coast at night (VERY dark roads!) and I was riding 2nd. My HID's lit up the road so well that the rider in front used my lights to help him and the rider behind me could also see the road!! I tried High-beams and it surpassed the riders light who was in front of me!!! I flicked them off and after we got to where we were going, my friend who was leading said he was trying to motion to me to keep the high-beams on as he was loving the extra light!!

Last edited:

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Jman I have the slim digital ballast, it has the slim ballast and another small square thingy(technical term) that I think the normal sized ballast lacks. Maybe that's what the seller was talking about, but it fit in mine fine.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had a garage and I could get over my fear of all thing electrical I would have done this mod already... maybe next year.

The only two "electrical" mods I have done were biker dudes dual headlight and the pod lights how would you say the wiring difficulty is compared to those?

(I always have to enlist the help of someone when it comes to wires since I'm colorblind.)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This was probably the most invasive mod I've done to date! It's a lot of work, but the work itself is pretty straight forward. Looks messier than it really is. having said that, if you are not that comfortable with wiring and electrical work, then I would enlist some help with this one.

Everything is pretty much plug and play, but you do need to run some wires for the Angel Eyes as well as wires to the battery and several ground wires as well as re-wiring your stock headlight connectors. Again, not over complicated, but extensive.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
This was probably the most invasive mod I've done to date! It's a lot of work, but the work itself is pretty straight forward. Looks messier than it really is. having said that, if you are not that comfortable with wiring and electrical work, then I would enlist some help with this one.

Everything is pretty much plug and play, but you do need to run some wires for the Angel Eyes as well as wires to the battery and several ground wires as well as re-wiring your stock headlight connectors. Again, not over complicated, but extensive.

Thanks again Boneman. Looks like if I decide to do it I will contact my EE brother as backup.