Blowout!

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Weather was too good this morning in Texas- had to ride! 60 miles in, at 75 mph- rear tire let go. I felt the rear of the bike swerve slightly, twice- so pulled over to check air pressure. There was none! A nice 1/8" hole in the center of tire greeted me instead. Bummer! But could have been much worse. Tire was new 200 miles ago. I would have never believed that the bike could go that fast and that straight with a flat tire!
Now I must wait for Mrs Ready to come home & find receipt. No more riding today... Beer time! :beer:
Rant over and thanks for listening, doug

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! glad everything went as well as it did.
do you remeber hitting anything in the road?

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! You are lucky! Actually, I think the word "blessed" comes to mind:thumbup: I am glad that it turned out the way it did-whew.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how did you end up getting it home? thats one of my biggest things is being stuck somewhere (no gas... blow out... other assorted problems)

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
how did you end up getting it home? thats one of my biggest things is being stuck somewhere (no gas... blow out... other assorted problems)

I called my baby brother who rescued me with my trailer. Sure seemed weird to be in truck watching my beloved fizzer follow us along in bondage!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I think this is the first thread I can recall from a member getting a blowout. Good thing you didn't get the blowout during a turn. Nice to know that the bike remains fairly stable and upright when the back tire goes flat like that, as long as you're going fairly straight.

200 miles that it, you think that might be a warranty thing? Was it defective?

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I think this is the first thread I can recall from a member getting a blowout. Good thing you didn't get the blowout during a turn. Nice to know that the bike remains fairly stable and upright when the back tire goes flat like that, as long as you're going fairly straight.

200 miles that it, you think that might be a warranty thing? Was it defective?

Definately a warranty thing. Only waiting for Mrs Ready to find the receipt/ warranty papers! I do not feel the tire was defective. It is a good brand (Michelin), in pristine condition before finding the 1/8" hole whilst I waited for the trailer. Dealer said "covered", but we're both anxious to see what is inside that tire- if anything!

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Wow, Doug! I was holding my breath until I finished reading your post to learn the outcome. Glad to read that you are okay and bike stayed up through all that.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you handled it well. Any pictures of the damage?

I had the same thing happen at about 60MPH. I ran over who-knows-what on I-90 going through Gary, IN at the end of a 630 mile day....over $400 for the tow truck across state lines into Chicago....hole was too big to patch.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, crazy that it just blew out. Hopefully they will cover it, but normally it is just the cost of a new tire, You handled it well.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I am only the only person who thinks he ran over something?

Nope, I'm with you on this one. I had a VERY similar thing happen about 2 months ago here in the No. Dallas area. Mine was actually a cut of sorts that sent the tire down while I was spinning through a corner at about 65. Not sure where you were riding but the Farm Roads around here a pretty rough surface in areas. Glad it all worked out, I managed 300+ miles today north of dallas as well. To bad the tire cut the day short. Tomorrow looks good as well :thumbup:

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you handled it well. Any pictures of the damage?

Thanks, didn't get nervous untill I had walked around a bit & began the "what if" scenarios!

Sorry, I broke my camera while attemptimg to put a 3-wheeler on Ebay. I cleaned the tire & wheel in my parts washer. The only visible damage is A) appr. 1/8" hole in center of tread, and B) "pinch" mark at sidewall where rim met asphault.

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
I am only the only person who thinks he ran over something?

Nope, I'm with you on this one. I had a VERY similar thing happen about 2 months ago here in the No. Dallas area. Mine was actually a cut of sorts that sent the tire down while I was spinning through a corner at about 65. Not sure where you were riding but the Farm Roads around here a pretty rough surface in areas. Glad it all worked out, I managed 300+ miles today north of dallas as well. To bad the tire cut the day short. Tomorrow looks good as well :thumbup:

I agree with both of you. The hole kinda gives it away... Dangit, I wanted to ride today also, but now I will be abusing my liver instead! Silver lining? :rockon:

kellybt1052, I was on hiway 160 in Whitewright- a pretty good way from my home in Princeton!

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Stole my daughter's camera & got these! First attempt to attach pics here, so bear with me?
The silver disc is a dime for size comparison...

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
That kinda happened to me last year. i was on my home from dinner and stopped at a light. usually i rock back and forth with me feet waiting and it felt funny. i pulled over and checked my tire it didn't look flat but there was a sliver of metal hangng out and it was flat. luck for e not going fast, and lucck for you that you stayed upright.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Can`t you guys do a deal with your insurance companies which involves breakdown cover as well?

I live in Denmark and can breakdown anywhere in Europe and they will get both me and the bike home, as many times in the year as needed and wherever it is needed. They will either take me to the nearest garage of my choice or home, I choose.

My yearly cover is not expensive at all.

Steve

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Can`t you guys do a deal with your insurance companies which involves breakdown cover as well?

I live in Denmark and can breakdown anywhere in Europe and they will get both me and the bike home, as many times in the year as needed and wherever it is needed. They will either take me to the nearest garage of my choice or home, I choose.

My yearly cover is not expensive at all.

Steve

My buddy just told me the same thing. I may have that coverage and not know it! Gotta check the policy. Where's Mrs Ready now...