Blown Fork Seal...

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys... So Ive been noticing fluid on the floor of my garage and finally traced it back to my left fork seal. Took it to the indie guy by me and he said I needed a new seal $190... So he ordered the seals on the way home I remembered that the guy sold me the bike said that the forks were replaced with R6 forks...
Im riding an 04 FZ6 with 28K miles...
Is $190 a good price, (parts & labor)?
If the are R6 forks any way of telling what year so I can make sure he orders the correct seals?

THANKS!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Close-up pics of the forks? Any part numbers, numbers of any sorts on the forks to be seen? Do you still know how to contact the prior owner?

According to THIS chart, they have to be either the older 03-04 R6 or the newer '06 - '08 forks.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Close-up pics of the forks? Any part numbers, numbers of any sorts on the forks to be seen? Do you still know how to contact the prior owner?

According to THIS chart, they have to be either the older 03-04 R6 or the newer '06 - '08 forks.

Thanks man!!! Ill check on the numbers over the weekend and try to post some pics... Timing is just rough I have a 4 hour Board exam tomorrow morning and some extra studying to do...

Where are my priorities?!?!?

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
the price is fair if he is doing a full teardown and new bushings...which is pretty much needed because the seal removal process can be damaging to bushings. My guess from doing seals before was around $60-75 in parts (oil seal, inner bushing, outer bushing, dust seal, new fork oil) and probably 1.5-2 hours labor. If it an R6 fork it will be bit more complicated vs. the OEM damper-rod fork. You can probably save some $$ if you pull the wheel and just take in the fork tube/assembly.

You should also consider getting both rebuilt now (not just the leaker), if one failed the other will soon follow.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!!! Got the job done got the right forks... I think I mustve needed it done for a while. I got nervous first ride home because it was so much stiffer, but after seeing some regular play on the forks I realized they were way too loose since I bought the bike. Taking it to work early Saturday Morning was awesome more confident into turns and a bit more responsive. I think the mechanic that did the work was turned onto the idea of an FZ... In his accent that bike has more power dan I taught... Its Fxxn sweet man... You got a good bike... A++ for dusting off my speedo and fairings as well as lubing up the chain... Got to love the indie mechanic...