blasting 05 FZ6N Engine and re-paint.

Spurioushamster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, after lurking in the background for the past few weeks I thought I'd introduce myself and get some advice on a job I'm planning. Sorry if this has been covered before, I searched for it but couldn't find any info.

I got my 05 FZ6N the other day, and it's in remarkably good nick, except for a bit of corrosion and flaking on the sub-frame and engine. My plan is to remove the engine and sub-frame, shot-blast them to remove the flaking silver paint (I have access to an industrial shot-blast cabinet) and then paint the engine, sub-frame and main frame using VHT satin finish black spray paint.

What I wanted to know was, can I put a fully assembled motor into a shot blast cabinet, if I'm super careful about masking off? There are some rubber gaskets I was going to cover with stainless foil, and I was going to machine up some blanks for covering the header connections. Can paint stripper like nitro mors be used to remove this engine paint?

I also wanted to know if anyone has any tips for painting directly onto aluminium with VHT paint, whether I need to use a special chemical primer or not, and if anyone has tried clear coating a satin effect paint job?

Any constructive advice would be very welcome,

toodle pip from England-shire

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Other than powder coating or anodizing Aluminium, all paints will need Zinc oxide based primer, or it will flake off. I do know VHT's caliper paint is designed for aluminium, no primer needed. You could buy some Scotchbrite pads and scuff sand the motor, then paint it yourself, I personally would take it to a powdercoat shop, have them remove the valve cover & gasket then block off the head before blasting and painting.

Spurioushamster

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, so I see I have a few options now.

What I plan to do, rather than rush into painting my engine, is conduct salt spray corrosion tests on a range of aluminium samples that have been treated in different ways, different types of paint, primers, clear coats, etc. I'll use a centre punch to simulate a chip, and observe how well the paint adheres in a corrosive environment. I'll post the results up on the forum.

I basically work as a Project leader for a welding research company, so I have access to all sorts of toys, like electron microscopes, lasers, shot blasters, acids, testing equipment, etc. My workshop is like Tony Stark's basement, only filthier...

Just don't tell my boss what I'm doing :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, so I see I have a few options now.

What I plan to do, rather than rush into painting my engine, is conduct salt spray corrosion tests on a range of aluminium samples that have been treated in different ways, different types of paint, primers, clear coats, etc. I'll use a centre punch to simulate a chip, and observe how well the paint adheres in a corrosive environment. I'll post the results up on the forum.

I basically work as a Project leader for a welding research company, so I have access to all sorts of toys, like electron microscopes, lasers, shot blasters, acids, testing equipment, etc. My workshop is like Tony Stark's basement, only filthier...

Just don't tell my boss what I'm doing :thumbup:
Surely Yamaha already did this. Find what they did originally and copy! :)