Frame paint match (Silver)

warthogcrewchief

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 FZ6 that I have had to do some very minor repairs on (the frame had some minor road rash). I've been looking and looking for a spray paint to match. I read about TufuJunky87's repair to his FZ. I tried out the Dupli-Color's Aluminum Engine Enamel on a test piece (a broken transmission cover for the same year...it makes a great test piece!). It was a dead ringer for the engine parts, but just a little too bright for the frame.

Tonight I found the perfect color! :rockon:

It is Dupli-Color's Stainless Steel SS100 UPC: 026916014108

After testing it out on my handy-dandy test piece (aforementioned transmission cover), I tested it out on the bike in an inconspicuous peice (whew...big words!). Enclosed are the photos with one of them showing where I masked off. The contrast between the newly painted area versus the frame and sub-frame area appear very minimal. Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! Check it out!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, soon i'll need that colour for some minor paint repairs.
Did you use anything else before painting?
Sanding, primer etc?

warthogcrewchief

Reaction score
Visit site
For that spot (as a test post), I did not do any major cleaning, just a wipe down. When I do it for real, I'll do a normal soap & degreaser wash, followed by spot degreasing (if needed), let it dry, and then I'll hit it with a paint prep cleaner (Brake cleaner works great for that as it doesn't leave a residue). I don't see the need for sanding on this frame. Although, a 1000 grit run down may not hurt to help adhesion (followed up by the paint prep cleaner).

I did not use a clear after it. Be sure to first try it out on a small spot (like under the seat).

EDIT: Be sure not to polish or wax the paint for a few weeks.

Thanks for the info, soon i'll need that colour for some minor paint repairs.
Did you use anything else before painting?
Sanding, primer etc?

Last edited: