Birmingham, AL, AMA races in June

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I WANNA GO....
Barber isnt tooo far from here anyways hmmmmm

Yeah, I'm rolling the idea of going Sunday around in my head. I have to work Saturday (the 23rd) but MIGHT be able to swing Sunday. Anybody else from Atlanta considering a day trip? Looks like its about 140 miles from me.

D

Dave.TX

The more the merrier! Though I doubt we're all going to meet each other unless someone organizes something...

The Monday after the races is when we plan to visit the museum. We'll probably get to B'ham on Thursday afternoon.

Now Tom says he might sell the Honda ST1300 before the trip (it's been for sale for a while) which means he may be riding his BMW F650GS out instead. Doesn't matter, riding is riding!

Lessee, Saturday night is dinner at Superior Grill so what's going on Friday night? Any suggestions?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an idea, there will probably be motorcycle parking in the Expo area. If so everyone could park in that area and get together - good location to watch the races from is nearby. I will be there on Friday and can scope it out. A great photo is in front of the museum - bike only parking.

D

Dave.TX

Latest update is Tom is not selling his Honda so he'll be on his ST and I'll be on my GT. We'll arrive in B'ham on Thursday sometime in the afternoon (staying at the La Quinta). Plan is to meet another guy for dinner somewhere. He's staying in Leeds. The other definite meet for dinner is Saturday at Superior Mexican Grill at 7:00pm. Buncha folks from sport-touring.net should be there. Going to the museum on Monday then headed back for TX on Tuesday.

PM me for my phone number and we can plan a meet. I'm trying to coordinate between about 3 different forums, trying to get people together for a big gathering. Maybe a "bike night" at Superior on Saturday. It isn't far from the track, maybe 20 minutes or so.

There's a high probability I've never met anyone before that's going to the races (except Tom and Alan that also live in Austin, TX) so it'll be hard to pick anyone out. I'll keep an eye out for FZ6 riders but even then they may not be forum members. I'll be on a BMW, Tom on a Honda and Alan on a Kawasaki. Maybe we can get in some morning rides before the races. Just suggesting.

Gonna try to bring the laptop to check the forums and upload pictures every night. I have a DSLR so will be taking tons of pics. If you want me to take decent photos of you and your bike let me know and I'll try to accommodate. I'm not a professional by any means and won't charge. Tom is actually a professional photographer but I don't know what he plans to bring in that department.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Dave.TX, did you nake it to Barbers? Looked for an FZ6 today and didn't see any other than mine. Did see an FZ6R. Practice and pre-qualifying was good. Looks like there will be some good races. Josh Hayes was quickest of the superbike folks and in the Daytona group Tommy Hayden was quick. It is hot though. Bike parking in the Expo area (where the vintage fire trucks are) is great cause good views of the track, food and drink and tents to sit under.

Fan walk tonight was great. Opportunity to walk around the track and talk to the racers. Was with the group which had Josh Hayes. Somethinbg to listen and watch him talk about lines thru the corners and what the bike felt like at different points on the track.

D

Dave.TX

Yeah we made it! I did see a blue 1st gen FZ6 at the area you're talking about, was that yours? Saw several FZ1's. We went around the track to see different angles. Got a pic of Hayes while in his pit just after he tried to use the porta-john but it was occupied. Ha! We left before the track walk. It was hot, we were bushed, had been there since 11.

Going this morning. We should be at the opposite side of where you'll be at turns 2 & 3 on the hill. We'll make it over to the fan/vendor area later. I'll be wearing a gray event t-shirt that I picked up yesterday and a white/gray BMW Motorrad hat. My tank bag also doubles as a back pack so will have that with my camera and such and shorts on (great having riding pants to put over them).

Text me at 512-eight two six-8473 if you want and we can try to meet up. A good way to cool down we found was riding the tram around the track. Shade and breezy. Hope to see you there!

2012-06-22_14-23-14_127.jpg

2012-06-22_16-33-34_22.jpg

D

Dave.TX

Gee, Al, compared to yours mine don't look all that great. Of course I didn't have track access like you. Maybe someday I can. Here's a few:

BMPSign.jpg

Britten.jpg

Daytona1.jpg

KTM.jpg

JordyBurgess.jpg

HaysWin1.jpg

GravesStable.jpg

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool pics…looks like you had a good time.

If anyone is interested, there’s an excellent online documentary on John Britten called Britten: Backyard Visionary…<Click>. It’s in five clips that add up to about 45 minutes iirc. You wouldn't walk past that bike in the Barber Museum and not take a second, and third look. It's that cool! :cool: