Birmingham, AL, AMA races in June

D

Dave.TX

OK, so I did a search and found nothing on this site about it. The AMA Superbike races on June 22-24 look interesting. They're at Barber Motorsports Park outside Birmingham.

I got the time off to be able to ride out there from Texas. I'm wondering if anyone else is planning on attending the races. I'll be staying at the La Quinta on 280. I don't know anyone in Alabama but know there's forum members around the area. It would be fun to meet up and go on some rides around there if possible. I'll be traveling out with a Two Wheeled Texans forum member.

3 day tix are $50 with a paddock entry at $25. I see they do "parade laps" on Sat & Sun, $30 to do each. That sounds cool. If I'm gonna ride the almost 800 miles to get there I might as well fork out the extra dough to ride the track! Kind of once in a lifetime thing. I'll be paying for the trip for a long time...

Whaddaya say? :BLAA:

Going so far:

Dave.TX
OldFart - staying in Trussville
Randomchaos

Last edited by a moderator:

William

Reaction score
Visit site
If I wasn’t going to be on another trip, I’d go. Barber is one of the best motorsports parks in the country imo. Great view lines on the track and the paddocks are convenient to get in and out of. Plus, they have a tram so you don’t have to walk miles to get everywhere. The facility is outstanding and the museum is awesome! My next visit is the vintage fest in October…can’t wait.

As for hoteling, the problem is that there aren’t many there in Leeds, nor is there much of anything. It's just a real small town with a cool race course. What they have in hotels get booked up way before events. Last I was up there, they were building a new one though right on the stretch leading into the park. I usually stay in the Liberty Park area between Birmingham and Leeds. I’ve heard that people also stay up in a town called Trussville, north of Leeds. Neither is much of a ride into the park.

D

Dave.TX

I found some hotels that aren't too far away, off Interstate 459 and 30/280. It seems to just slide up Cahaba Valley Rd up near the racetrack. I dunno, have time and will do more research. It always helps to hear from people around the area or have gone before and have advice.

agdarnel

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually live about 15 minutes away from the track and I would suggest to look at hotels on highway 280 it is a huge exit with lots to eat and do. Plenty of bars and nightlife as well. To get to the track from there any gps would probable send you interstate but I suggest looking at Sicard Hollow Rd. It will be a straight shot from 280 all the way down some nice backroads through the woods. It eventually turns into Rex Lake Rd which is the road the track is on. Its a nice Little ride but still only about 15 minutes from 280 to the track. Hope everybody has a great time that is an awesome place to watch a race! Im still trying to get off of work myself!

D

Dave.TX

I was looking at the I20/Hwy280 area. Sicard Hollow Rd looks interesting. A short distance east on I20 is Talladega Superspeedway, of course. Would also like to see that! Looks like the Talladega National Forest has some good roads to ride. Good = twisty! If I can go this looks like it'll be a cool trip...

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me and my wife will be there. Looking at being there the full 3 days. Need to find a hotel though. Would be cool to stay at the same hotel. Wont be riding the bike down though, wife can't handle that long of a distance on the back, plus she will be 2/3 of the way through her pregnancy :)

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan to visit the museum there too but are there any other places to go see?

Just a thought, but on your ride over or back from Austin (or both) you could pick up 250-270 miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway between Natchez, Mississippi and say around Tupelo (125 miles west of Birmingham). That would be a heck of a nice ride on your new beemer.

D

Dave.TX

Me and my wife will be there. Looking at being there the full 3 days. Need to find a hotel though. Would be cool to stay at the same hotel. Wont be riding the bike down though, wife can't handle that long of a distance on the back, plus she will be 2/3 of the way through her pregnancy :)

The La Quinta on 280 is pretty fairly priced at $49/night. Most others are $89 and up. Trussville is another popular spot to stay. I plan on going the full 3 days too and going to the museum (which can take all day if you want).

As of yet my sergeant hasn't granted me the vacation so won't make any permanent plans. When looking at the schedule it showed we had enough people on the days I asked off so hopefully it'll be granted.

That Natchez Trace Parkway looks interesting. I may have to check it out!

D

Dave.TX

Well my vacation was approved! Now just have to find the money to afford to go. I'll be off from June 19 thru July 1, 13 days. That gives plenty of time...

:rockon:

D

Dave.TX

I WANNA GO....
Barber isnt tooo far from here anyways hmmmmm

No, not too far. It's about 760 miles from my place. Round trip in gas (my bike has to use premium) will be less than $200. Hotel, food, tickets, etc... maybe $600 for everything.

I have credit cards... :BLAA:

D

Dave.TX

Talked to a friend of mine today who is really into going. He lives in Austin, has a CBR600RR and doesn't mind riding that whole distance. Says he's done 600 miles before. As long as he's comfortable.

Looks like the hotel and tickets will cost us about $210 each, gas will cost me roughly $150 round trip. Food, museum and anything else is compounded on top of that. My AMA membership gets a $5 discount to the museum.

Things are looking up!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my tickets ordered, all 3 days for me and my wife, plus paddock passes. She wants to meet a KTM rider that has "Pretty Blue Eyes" ROFL.

Hotel wise I am looking at booking at Baymont Inn and Suites Birmingham/Vestavia. I think its about 16 miles from the track, and comes up as $17 cheaper than the La Quinta. Has good reviews too. Know of any other hotels in the area that might be a better/cheaper option?

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like this hotel looks decent too, and a little closer to the track. Wingate By Wyndham - Birmingham. $47 a night through priceline.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I live about 20 minutes from the track, 280 area is a good spot to stay. Just be careful with the 459 to 280 interchange. Ride in that area a lot and there are many BAD drivers. Siccard Hollow road is a great route to and from the track. Highway 25 has some great corners and a place that used to be called 29 Dreams - it's under new ownership management and is pretty nice. Attracts all types of bikers though. Grants Mill Road between 459 and Siccard Hollow road has some nice curves as well. Highway 25 has some tight corners that can sneak up on you so take it easy the first time thru. Big #1 Yamaha has had a autograph night with the Yamaha riders in the past but not sure if they will this year. If they do it is a great time to meet Josh and all the others. I will be pretty busy during the event as I do a lot of photography for the park but would love to meet up and do dinner etc. The Vintage Festival in October is another great event. Barbers is very bike friendly and the museum is a MUST SEE, lots of great bikes as well as the largest Lotus collection in the world. A great meeting spot is the Expo area with is on the back straight (at the kink)

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
That Natchez Trace Parkway looks interesting. I may have to check it out!

The Natchez Trace is a great ride & is beautiful, but keep in mind the speed limit is only 50 MPH. The Park Rangers will usually leave you alone up to 60 MPH, they're not as anal as MS Highway Patrol (who have no jurisdiction on the Trace :Flip: ). Also, make sure you fill up before you get on as there are NO fuel stations on the Trace & no signs telling which exits have fuel & which don't.

D

Dave.TX

Well the guy with the CBR backed out but now riding with a guy that has a Honda ST1300. The plans are to leave Austin and ride to Monroe, LA for the night then on to Birmingham the next day. We'll stay at the La Quinta (costing about $42/night). We'll get tickets for all 3 days plus paddock, I'm going to do the parade lap around the track (maybe Saturday, maybe Sunday, maybe both!) and we'll also spend a day at the museum.

The ride back we plan to ride some of the Natchez Trace Pkwy and stay the night in Natchez, MS, then back to Austin. No iron butt rides this time.

I've heard a few bikers will be getting together at a place called Superior Grill off 280 for dinner on Saturday (around 6:30 or 7:00), just down the road from the hotel. It was mentioned on sport-touring.net where I have a similar thread.

If anyone wants to meet up for dinner on Friday or Sunday night that would be cool. Saturday we'll try Superior for dinner.

As far as the Natchez Trace and no fuel stops, my bike gets about 250 miles on a tank. From Mathiston to Natchez is about 205 miles. I'm guess Tom's ST has about the same range. Not saying we can't stop in Jackson or some place for lunch and gas.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the Natchez Trace and no fuel stops, my bike gets about 250 miles on a tank. From Mathiston to Natchez is about 205 miles. I'm guess Tom's ST has about the same range. Not saying we can't stop in Jackson or some place for lunch and gas.

Here's a list of amenities, including gas, by mile marker from that website I linked in an earlier post. Might want to print it out and carry it with you, if you haven't already. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=300124