Bike won't start

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I went back and test it again with the multi meter and I found out that I might have mixed up the wires.
I've checked the white plug and that was 11.5v and the green plug shows 0V.
I am now confused.
What does the white one and the green do?
White: Level?
Green: Power?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure how to connect 12v to the pump

There are a couple different ways you could go about doing that. This is how I would do it ( keep in mind I haven't look at any diagrams or schematics and I'm going to use the color red for + and black for -)

Find which wires are you hot and your ground, ( this is where red and black is probably wrong) follow where the red wire goes into the connector and connects to on the pump a d either remember that pin or mark it some how, and do the same for the ground, once you have the pins marked or memorized on the fuel pump side, simply cut 2 pieces of wire, strip both ends of each wire, connect one end of each to your battery some how, and then touch the other ends of the wire to the corresponding pin on the pump, hot to hot ground to ground. If the pump is good you should hear it turn on.

This might not be the "best" or "proper" way to test it but that's how I would test it. It eliminates all possible other failures and as long as your battery is good, and you have the wires in the right spots the pump should turn on if the pump is good.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The plug for the fuel pump can be unplugged and you can do a resistance check.

The plug has 2 wires, a red with blue tracer and a black wire. The resistance should be 0.2 - 3.0 ohms at 20 deg C. between the 2 wires..

See attached...:D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of q?
Was there any work done on it before it quit working? Like lifting the tank OR the bike was knocked over??

What is the battery voltage with everything off?
What is the battery voltage when you turn the key on (NOT cranking)?
While you're at it; key on, kill switch off voltage?
What is the battery voltage while cranking?

Have you pulled the clutch lever in while cranking? < shouldn't matter.

I find it unlikely the pump died, but if the voltage is 11.5 (key on) and you disconnect the pump harness, Wires with Black/Red-Blue trace and measure the voltage from the harness, and its 12.5v, that would imply the pump is placing a load on the system but its not working. I say this because a resistance test alone (of the pump) doesn't really mean its OK. It could be low .2 to 3ohms and still not work. Jumper it as suggested above.

Have you looked at Fuse #53 it feeds the cut off relay. And how exactly did you test the fuses?

LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT: Do you see any Mice Poo! They eat things like wires for no real reason what so ever. . . :ban:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of q?
Was there any work done on it before it quit working? Like lifting the tank OR the bike was knocked over??

What is the battery voltage with everything off?
What is the battery voltage when you turn the key on (NOT cranking)?
While you're at it; key on, kill switch off voltage?
What is the battery voltage while cranking?

Have you pulled the clutch lever in while cranking? < shouldn't matter.

I find it unlikely the pump died, but if the voltage is 11.5 (key on) and you disconnect the pump harness, Wires with Black/Red-Blue trace and measure the voltage from the harness, and its 12.5v, that would imply the pump is placing a load on the system but its not working. I say this because a resistance test alone (of the pump) doesn't really mean its OK. It could be low .2 to 3ohms and still not work. Jumper it as suggested above.

Have you looked at Fuse #53 it feeds the cut off relay. And how exactly did you test the fuses?

LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT: Do you see any Mice Poo! They eat things like wires for now real reason what so ever. . . :ban:

Actually this bike was submerged in water in the QLD floods at least a year ago so there could be a number of reasons including connectors that has brought this problem on.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually this bike was submerged in water in the QLD floods at least a year ago so there could be a number of reasons including connectors that has brought this problem on.

Are you serious???? That seems real. A whole lot of stuff could be suspect if that is the case.

Relays, connections, ECM, blah blah blah. . .
but I still hate Mice!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you serious???? That seems real. A whole lot of stuff could be suspect if that is the case.

Relays, connections, ECM, blah blah blah. . .
but I still hate Mice!

ani-mouse.gif

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I know his bike was gone through pretty well. A methodical trouble shooting approach should work well.

#1 Pump good or bad?

I'll bet you the beers I drink tonight, the pump is fine. HAHAHA! But it is the easiest thing to check and confirm. I can only imagine things are growing and corroding where they shouldn't be. :( Time will tell.