bike broke down this morning but now its fine!?

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on my way to work, everything was normal and then I noticed the check engine light come on, I slowed down and cruised into work and the light remained on. Got to work and turned off the bike and then tried to restart but the battery did not have enough juice to turn it over.

Two hours later on my break I try to start it and she fired right up as normal and no engine light on!

Anyone have any idea what's wrong, I thought the alternator may have gone and ran on battery alone into work, but for that I'd expect the cel to still be on? I'll see what happens on the way home tonight..

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I'm unable to search on my mobile can you link to a thread for how to check error codes?

Also can't check battery terminals at work but if she gets me home tonight I'll check then.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While you have the tank up, if you have a volt meter, check the charging voltage while running.

It does sound like a loose terminal thou.

Just as a side note, I just replaced my battery. Thin use of dilectric grease and a very small drop of red loctite on the inside of the square nut (avoiding the grease) should help keep the bolts tight (especially if the "hand torque wrench" is a little low)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was on my way to work, everything was normal and then I noticed the check engine light come on, I slowed down and cruised into work and the light remained on. Got to work and turned off the bike and then tried to restart but the battery did not have enough juice to turn it over.

Two hours later on my break I try to start it and she fired right up as normal and no engine light on!

Anyone have any idea what's wrong, I thought the alternator may have gone and ran on battery alone into work, but for that I'd expect the cel to still be on? I'll see what happens on the way home tonight..

It happened for me a week ago, I leaned at an intersection towards my right, and suddenly I saw the C.Engine light lit up, I turned off the engine/ignition and turned on and it went off.
I checked the oil dip immediately after reaching my destination and the oil looked, smelled leveled fine. I suspect sudden lean may triggered something with oil sensor.

Didn't do anything, and don't know what to do, I'm planning to clean the battery terminals(re-attach for computer automatic mapping), check fluids(even brakes) over the weekend.

After that, no weird smell or any other symptoms didn't show up. So, I thought All is Well.

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I didn't get very far, wouldn't turn over again so I bumped it and she started and seemed fine except for light on so I thought I'd try and limp home but after getting out onto the road she started mid firing and bogged down so I've pulled into a tesco and am hunting for Allan keys...

I must have found the smallest big tesco cause the don't sell them! :( .... Wife to the rescue

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I didn't get very far, wouldn't turn over again so I bumped it and she started and seemed fine except for light on so I thought I'd try and limp home but after getting out onto the road she started mid firing and bogged down so I've pulled into a tesco and am hunting for Allan keys...

I must have found the smallest big tesco cause the don't sell them! :( .... Wife to the rescue

Sounds like you have a battery with some "come back" but your charging system has failed.

Probably your regulator rectifier or stator. Recharge your battery and have it load tested. Then you will need to, as already suggested look at charging voltages. :)

Last edited:

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think its charging related, the battery wouldn't have lost power between 10 this morning and now, especially as its hooked up to a tender every night, we'll see if it a loose connection or not wife just pulled up :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the manual;
Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

Now, please re-read post #7. Cliff IS the electrical guy here.

Have it fully charged and load tested to rule it out(good or bad).

If it passes, then check your charging system. If it fails, we'll go from there

Start with the basics First.

***NOTE; You can charge a battery for a week however if its worn out, it WILL NOT HOLD a charge and the rest of the system will be compromised**. It takes electricity to keep the ECU going, open injectors, for spark plugs, etc.

If not, please post how and what you do, as your going to be very busy chasing your tail for no reason..

Good luck.
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
has the bike gotten wet recently? could be something going on with the sensor relay. check the connections aren't corroded and clean them up if they are

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you have a battery with some "come back" but your charging system has failed.

Probably your regulator rectifier or stator. Recharge your battery and have it load tested. Then you will need to, as already suggested look at charging voltages. :)

So my battery has been on the tender since yesterday evebing and is now 'maintaining'. I'm going to leave it connected till tomorrow but how do I load test it?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of the battery tender... I've never used one, never seen the need. My battery is OEM from 2009, Still holds its charge and tests out well!

My guess is that your battery tender has been masking the real issue of a bad battery and/or a weak charging system. As stated above charge the battery, test the battery, then test out the charging system.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

When I 1st got my fz6 it did the exact same thing and threw the exact same engine code, it turned out to be a lose ground on the battery. Once your battery is fully charged it wouldn't hurt to reinstall it and double check all the connections on the battery and any you can see leaving the battery. If a secure ground and a charged battery doesn't fix the issue and you can't find any other lose connections go with what motogiro says, he's the electrical mastermind of the moto world.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my battery has been on the tender since yesterday evebing and is now 'maintaining'. I'm going to leave it connected till tomorrow but how do I load test it?

To load test the battery it must either be removed or the bike brought to a Center where they can load test it. Typically most Automotive Parts Warehouses have load testers and most will test your battery for free.
From the symptoms you've described my bet is that your charging system has failed. You can confirm this by getting a digital voltmeter and measuring the charging voltage.This is done by touching the positive lead of the digital voltmeter to the positive lead to the battery and the negative lead of the digital voltmeter to the negative lead of the battery. The meter must be set to DC volts. Look at the voltage then start the bike and look at the voltage. The voltage should read upwards of 13 volts to 14 volts.(above 2-3000 RPM) If not get back to us for other tests you can do to narrow down the component failure. :)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site