Bike back from the shop, and i'm pissed- $89 for a tire change...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why dose it seem like its only the dealers who do that i have never herd of anyone coming from a smaller shop with a misalignment or overtightend chain

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

I have no engineering related or scientific answer for that. Could be something to do with the words "flat rate" I think someone already covered that.
Basically the guy working on your bike/car get's paid an hourly rate. If the charge for a job is 2 hrs. and the worker does it in 1 hr he gets a percentage of that extra hour added to his pay. So if he's fast and can cut corners he's inspired to get all the percentages added to his pay check he can get. In most cases the definition of the word "Incentive" generally equates to "Lack of integrity" :spank:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So if you ever happen to be out in the middle of nowhere at least 70 miles from the closeest town and get a flat, what would you do? Leave your bike there and ride 2 up to town to get it fixed, or call a tow truck and pay for them to take you to town when you have everything on your bike needed to fix it....its guess its ok if you dont have any mechanical ability but if you can do whats the point in not doing it

Would fix it but I wouldn't have stood on it. I would have found another way to do it without that, have had too many things slip from under my foot. And to be honest, I have never been 70 miles from home on my bike. I live in the middle of nowhere so don't have to go very far to be somewhere worth riding. There are also tons of tons around where I am. Worse comes to worse, I give my dad a call and he will come get me with his truck and trailer.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why dose it seem like its only the dealers who do that i have never herd of anyone coming from a smaller shop with a misalignment or overtightend chain

Where I live anyway the lowest "man" on the pole is the one that does tires. I would say pure inexperience. I don't know if things have changed but a few years back my dad hired 2 kids from MMI. They came to him and couldn't even figure out how to change the rear brake pads on a 90's FZ600r. And they graduated...... They have a 18 month course and people leave there thinking they are master mechanics.... needless to say they weren't there very long...

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no engineering related or scientific answer for that. Could be something to do with the words "flat rate" I think someone already covered that.
Basically the guy working on your bike/car get's paid an hourly rate. If the charge for a job is 2 hrs. and the worker does it in 1 hr he gets a percentage of that extra hour added to his pay. So if he's fast and can cut corners he's inspired to get all the percentages added to his pay check he can get. In most cases the definition of the word "Incentive" generally equates to "Lack of integrity" :spank:

or they are just lazy?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it youself... it's free... just need a couple of good tire irons and a Youtube video on how to do it... After you do it once is is super easy...

Richard

You need more than just tire irons unless you want to destroy the edge of your aluminum wheels!

I bought the Harbor Freight tire changer with the special nylon tipped motorcycle rim tool...has paid for itself in just 3 tire changes and I've done friend's tires for a case of good brews with it as well. I'm a firm believer on spending the money on new tools to do it yourself instead of throwing money down the drain (paying someone else to do it for you)

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
$90 may be a bit high but I don't think it is insane. Bigger shops can afford to charge a bit less, but maybe your dealer just can't support a lower price. You should have asked beforehand if it was a real concern to you.

This.

You can't find a shop near Boston that will let you walk in with your own tires and have them change them for you at any price less than $250. Or at least I couldn't 3 years ago, and I tried pretty damned hard. They want their money. So I started going to a buddy's house with tools, bringing him cases of Heinekin, and takin' care of my own bidness.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
you have a right to be pis***

That is highway robbery.
Your experience is my biggest concern about owning a motor cycle or motor scooter.
The shops in my area are rip off artist.
They quote a price for a job, then when you go to pick up your bike, they jack the price some more.
They actually brag about charging $80. per hour for labor.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The shops charge ridiculous amounts for mounted and balancing car tires as well if you don't buy the tires from them. Now if you find a shop that isn't in the tire business...chances are they will do the mounting/balance for a reasonable price. I get my car tires mounted/balanced for $10 each (includes disposal fee). If I tried to get them done at Goodyear or Firestone they would charge me double since they are trying to get people to buy their tires.

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my rear shock to a shop to have the HyperPro spring put on. They charged me a full hour of labor to swap a shock, 100 dollars. Moral of the story don't go to JT motorsports in Frederick, MD.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: you have a right to be pis***

That is highway robbery.
Your experience is my biggest concern about owning a motor cycle or motor scooter.
The shops in my area are rip off artist.
They quote a price for a job, then when you go to pick up your bike, they jack the price some more.
They actually brag about charging $80. per hour for labor.

I believe you can legally go up by 10% of the quote.

Driftboat

Reaction score
Visit site
$158.65 here to get both tires mounted and balanced. Im also convinced they did not balance them correctly. Just so 300 miles on them i pick up a nail in the rear. Plugged her up tho.

Good God , $159 to mount and balance the front and rear , that is the cost of the tires alone, I Buy my tires from Cyclegear and cost me 25 each for mount and balance off the bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most businesses lease buildings, so they are not subjected to paying the property taxes. Not sure if this shop that charged $89 actually owned the property.

Most small shops, at least around here are spinoffs from the stealerships. Meaning that they are former mechanics that have started their own shop. Instead of charging $100 shop rate, they charge something like $75. Some have been sucessful, they often post up on the local forums.

Like others have said, maybe if you would have purchased the tires directly from the shop, the cost of the tires would have factored into the price. Since my bike is my only ride, I do not have the luxury of buying tires from Cycle Gear. But I know better not to purchase them from the stealerships either, as the local shops offer a better quote.

My last set of Pilot Pures were repalced and installed, including balance for $350 OTD. I've seen Pilot Pures advertised as low as $259 plus shipping, so paying an extra $80 for the removal and install was well worth it while I waited.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
A 30 ft. cabin cruiser boat at moderate/full throttle will burn about 13 gallons PER HOUR. Now, if you fill up at the marina, the M/C shop boat owner will have to pay marina gas prices. Have you seen how expensive gas is at a marina? You think you're getting ripped off at the corner Chevron station? THINK AGAIN. To recap: if you're getting off with a bill under $200.00 for mount and balance front/rear (wheels brought in and OFF the bike) you are getting A BARGAIN! In fact, it sounds like the shop gave you a DISCOUNT.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A 30 ft. cabin cruiser boat at moderate/full throttle will burn about 13 gallons PER HOUR. Now, if you fill up at the marina, the M/C shop boat owner will have to pay marina gas prices. Have you seen how expensive gas is at a marina? You think you're getting ripped off at the corner Chevron station? THINK AGAIN. To recap: if you're getting off with a bill under $200.00 for mount and balance front/rear (wheels brought in and OFF the bike) you are getting A BARGAIN! In fact, it sounds like the shop gave you a DISCOUNT.

ROFLMAO!!!! :rof::rof::rof: This man is terrible!!!! :spank: :ban:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site

I believe you can legally go up by 10% of the quote.

Legal or not. It is underhanded and unethical.

I have done work for people through the years and have never, I mean never jacked the price on someone.

It is a shame we don`t have an online review forum so these shops can be exposed for what they are so riders can avoid them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My last set of Pilot Pures were repalced and installed, including balance for $350 OTD. I've seen Pilot Pures advertised as low as $259 plus shipping, so paying an extra $80 for the removal and install was well worth it while I waited.

It is only well worth it if you don't enjoy working on your own bike and actually trust the shop to get your alignment and chain slack right! ;)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

I have done work for people through the years and have never, I mean never jacked the price on someone.

It is a shame we don`t have an online review forum so these shops can be exposed for what they are so riders can avoid them.

Actually there are many places to find reviews on local businesses, you just have to look. It might not be a forum but even on google maps if you click on the picture of a place, if it has a business address you can find all kinds of reviews good or bad from people who have been there

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

I'll start one - :Flip:7S cycle, Limerock NY :Flip:- Avoid like plague, unless you like giving away money, if that's the case PM me :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're getting off with a bill under $200.00 for mount and balance front/rear (wheels brought in and OFF the bike) you are getting A BARGAIN! In fact, it sounds like the shop gave you a DISCOUNT.

Land of the free, huh.

I paid $215 on Friday for a Bridgestone BT-010 180/55-17, fitted, balanced, with a new steel angle valve and chain clean and lube into the bargain.