Bike back from the shop, and i'm pissed- $89 for a tire change...

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the reasons that small businesses are suffering so much is that they are owned by people with a pre-80's mentality about business. (Most youngins today work for corporations) They dont modernize their marketing or understand that they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces when they snub potential customers.

Read this:

WHY I REFUSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH SPEER YAMAHA of PASSAIC, NJ - Passaic County Sport Bikes - Leaning In The Twisties (Florham Park, NJ) - Meetup

I actually go to this dealership because the shop guys are awesome and willing to help out and give me good advice. But as you can see from the thread, the owner tried to spite the customer who purchased something online and bit himself in the ass because he got blasted online. :confused:

I don't blame him one bit for not telling him. If he tells him the wrong one then the person can sue the dealership. Plus free info really? Why does everyone think a person at a shop should take time out of their day to give out free info? Small business's are failing because of places like cycle gear, bass pro shops, etc and of course the internet... They rent a location and have little to no overhead. They buy huge numbers of things to get a really cheap price. they way things are going there aren't going to be anymore good shops. All there will be is Walmart and cycle gear. That is a scary thing......

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can do it without a machine its harder but ive done one on the side of the road with a crutch for a jackstand and 3 tire spoons, broke the bead by standing on it and someone help hold the wheel to remove and.install the tire

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

That is a very scary thought....You slip and screw up your ankle... Where does that get you? I often find it amazing what people will do to save a little bit of money...

Just out of curiosity. Do you raise and grow your own food? brew your own beer? Do you never go out to eat?

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in Corvallis. I was charged $800 for 4 Good Year ice tires and alignment. Tires were only $115 a piece and the alignment was $90......

You must have gone to a Schwabbies, huh? :rolleyes: I brought them some tires once, they wanted $25 a pop (for car tires), and challenged me to get it done cheaper elsewhere. I had Wally World do it for $7 each. :p

Standing behind your work is great, but first you have to have work to stand behind, which you won't if you price yourself right up to the stratosphere. I know owning a business isn't cheap, and especially not starting a business (ask my friend's 5-figure Matco bill!). Some things you just have to take a little profit hit on, though. How many people are going to come back a second time if you're charging $90 to mount one tire, unless you make exotic bikes your niche in an area that'll support that? Not many. If you can't turn a little profit on something that should take 30 minutes, for less than $90, you need to re-evaluate your business model, IMO.

I'm sure the shop I used to use barely broke even doing tires at $15 or $30, but it brought them customers and made those customers happy. Happy customers come back and buy things, which makes you more money. Pissed off customers don't come back, don't buy from you if they can help it, and spread the bad word to their friends.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must have gone to a Schwabbies, huh? :rolleyes: I brought them some tires once, they wanted $25 a pop (for car tires), and challenged me to get it done cheaper elsewhere. I had Wally World do it for $7 each. :p

Standing behind your work is great, but first you have to have work to stand behind, which you won't if you price yourself right up to the stratosphere. I know owning a business isn't cheap, and especially not starting a business (ask my friend's 5-figure Matco bill!). Some things you just have to take a little profit hit on, though. How many people are going to come back a second time if you're charging $90 to mount one tire, unless you make exotic bikes your niche in an area that'll support that? Not many. If you can't turn a little profit on something that should take 30 minutes, for less than $90, you need to re-evaluate your business model, IMO.

I'm sure the shop I used to use barely broke even doing tires at $15 or $30, but it brought them customers and made those customers happy. Happy customers come back and buy things, which makes you more money. Pissed off customers don't come back, don't buy from you if they can help it, and spread the bad word to their friends.

It was right across from the Super 8. At least where I live I wouldn't let walmart touch my car let alone my bike. They tend to hire people that have no mechanical ability period.... One thing I think I forgot to mention is that at my dad's shop if you buy the tires from him he mounts and balances for free. He also prefers you bring in the whole bike that way spacers can't be lost. The ones my dad charges, its usually $40 for both front and rear on sport bikes. Full dress bikes are much more because they are a head ache. The thing I am looking at is Rochester is a city. Everything is more expensive there. Most shop rates for cars where I live are $75-80/hour. My dad charges $65/hour. And once again you own a shop to live higher on the hog than the person that works for someone... Otherwise what would be the point of all the stress and headaches?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
It was right across from the Super 8. At least where I live I wouldn't let walmart touch my car let alone my bike. They tend to hire people that have no mechanical ability period.... One thing I think I forgot to mention is that at my dad's shop if you buy the tires from him he mounts and balances for free. He also prefers you bring in the whole bike that way spacers can't be lost. The ones my dad charges, its usually $40 for both front and rear on sport bikes. Full dress bikes are much more because they are a head ache. The thing I am looking at is Rochester is a city. Everything is more expensive there. Most shop rates for cars where I live are $75-80/hour. My dad charges $65/hour. And once again you own a shop to live higher on the hog than the person that works for someone... Otherwise what would be the point of all the stress and headaches?

$40 front and rear is really, really cheap, so now I'm thoroughly confused by your argument here. I do like your dad's policy of free mounting if you buy tires from him, though.

As far as cities, yeah it's more expensive to do business. But hopefully it makes up for that expense with more customers, because there's more people, and you're located more conveniently to them.

If you own a one-man shop to live high on the hog, I feel sorry for ya. Especially if you're just starting out and trying to pay for all the tools and equipment. But I'm assuming you meant a normal shop, with employees, in which case you should run down the math on a mechanic's cost to the company vs. income to the company. If you've got 2 wrenches working 40 hours a week each, and every hour they're actually working has the potential to make you $50 gross profit or more... I think you get the picture.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$40 front and rear is really, really cheap, so now I'm thoroughly confused by your argument here. I do like your dad's policy of free mounting if you buy tires from him, though.

As far as cities, yeah it's more expensive to do business. But hopefully it makes up for that expense with more customers, because there's more people, and you're located more conveniently to them.

If you own a one-man shop to live high on the hog, I feel sorry for ya. Especially if you're just starting out and trying to pay for all the tools and equipment. But I'm assuming you meant a normal shop, with employees, in which case you should run down the math on a mechanic's cost to the company vs. income to the company. If you've got 2 wrenches working 40 hours a week each, and every hour they're actually working has the potential to make you $50 gross profit or more... I think you get the picture.

I understand completely what your saying. My point was that the $89 was in Rochester NY. It is a little east of Buffalo it is a very expensive place to live and do business. The town my dad lives in is tiny. So thats the point of price difference. What I was getting at is in this tiny town his property and school taxes are $15,000 a year. I have to believe a decent size shop in Rochester is somewhere near double that a year. Where is the one man shop and high on the hog come in? I would think the shop in question has at least 2-3. When life was good from 97-04 my dad had 2 Yamaha dealerships and 15 employee's between the two shops 6 were mechanics. Now because of the lovely economy and NYS taxes many business's have left NY and the well paid employee's we used to get are no longer there. He is down to 1 shop and 1 employee. He went from selling 85 ATV's, 40 Motorcycles, 30 snowmobiles & 35 generators/year to a repair shop. That should paint a picture of the location he lives in. If this was also a Dealership they have to deal with a floor plan... That is a whole other animal and most of the manufactures could care less that you have a year old machine sitting on your floor. They make you pay full dealer cost back to them...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The shop rate is all i had to go on ....75 bucks an hr... so i figured... hmm prolly take me 15 mins to take off...10 to replace tire, then 15 to put back on.... evidently i was wrong....

In the end this probably is my fault.... his attitude when i walked in the door was already "i've got better things to do" ....shoulda just walked out... ridden 20 miles to the good shop and been done with it

Actually $75 hr shop rate is considered pretty low, it's $90 or $100 around here. But they usually have a half or one hour minimums. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that I discovered my Valve Stem was leaking whenever you wiggled it. I was on a roadtrip to LA and stopped at a stealership in Victorville, they wanted to charge me $80 to remove the front tire and replace the valve stem. I kept on riding after I heard that.

You're an adult, this one is on you as you said. You should have received a quote. You are not the first person to create a thread like this. Did the shop replace your valve stem?

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand completely what your saying. My point was that the $89 was in Rochester NY. It is a little east of Buffalo it is a very expensive place to live and do business. The town my dad lives in is tiny. So thats the point of price difference. What I was getting at is in this tiny town his property and school taxes are $15,000 a year. I have to believe a decent size shop in Rochester is somewhere near double that a year. Where is the one man shop and high on the hog come in? I would think the shop in question has at least 2-3. When life was good from 97-04 my dad had 2 Yamaha dealerships and 15 employee's between the two shops 6 were mechanics. Now because of the lovely economy and NYS taxes many business's have left NY and the well paid employee's we used to get are no longer there. He is down to 1 shop and 1 employee. He went from selling 85 ATV's, 40 Motorcycles, 30 snowmobiles & 35 generators/year to a repair shop. That should paint a picture of the location he lives in. If this was also a Dealership they have to deal with a floor plan... That is a whole other animal and most of the manufactures could care less that you have a year old machine sitting on your floor. They make you pay full dealer cost back to them...

My point in all this was that the only true fixed costs are the property and property tax, the inventory, buying or maintaining tools and equipment, and insurance, licenses and such. All the rest are variable costs that go up as you make more money, but at a rate lower than the added income... so they're not REALLY costing you more, because even with the higher costs, you're banking more profit. If your fixed costs are too high to be price-competitive, your real options are to lower those costs (i.e. move), or bring in more volume to lower your fixed cost per unit (i.e. lower your prices and suck up the "loss of profit", because as long as you can get the work, and you're not losing money, you'll probably actually make MORE).

There will always be the misguided few that'll b**** about any price, but it doesn't sound like the OP is one in this case. And you can bet if he noticed their gouging, others have too, and it's a matter of time before someone breaks in and undercuts them. Then that shop is stuck on the defensive, instead of responding to their customer base and keeping their market share all to themselves. For example, there were 3 major shops in my town in OR. The Yamaha shop (which I used) had good prices, and great service. Of the other shops, both had above-average prices, one had great service, and the other had awful service. Well, the Yamaha shop was jam packed just about all the time, while the others rarely had more than a couple customers at a time. Who do you think made more money, and had more repeat customers?

The one-man shop came from your comment about owning a business as a means to living high on the hog. From the sounds of it, I figured your dad was running a one-man show, which it sounds like he now is. I know more than I care to about the awesomeness of self-employment, my dad has owned his own contracting company for most of my life, and never had an employee. He's well versed in such subjects as "Why Paying Both Halves of FICA Sucks" and "Unemployment: The Insurance I Pay For, But Can't Use". Between the economy and now being solo, it sounds like your dad is doing well to still be in business. Not having (relatively) low paid worker bees to help out can seriously hurt the bottom line. But hey, if you don't have the work for them to do, they ain't making you any money!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My point in all this was that the only true fixed costs are the property and property tax, the inventory, buying or maintaining tools and equipment, and insurance, licenses and such. All the rest are variable costs that go up as you make more money, but at a rate lower than the added income... so they're not REALLY costing you more, because even with the higher costs, you're banking more profit. If your fixed costs are too high to be price-competitive, your real options are to lower those costs (i.e. move), or bring in more volume to lower your fixed cost per unit (i.e. lower your prices and suck up the "loss of profit", because as long as you can get the work, and you're not losing money, you'll probably actually make MORE).

There will always be the misguided few that'll b**** about any price, but it doesn't sound like the OP is one in this case. And you can bet if he noticed their gouging, others have too, and it's a matter of time before someone breaks in and undercuts them. Then that shop is stuck on the defensive, instead of responding to their customer base and keeping their market share all to themselves. For example, there were 3 major shops in my town in OR. The Yamaha shop (which I used) had good prices, and great service. Of the other shops, both had above-average prices, one had great service, and the other had awful service. Well, the Yamaha shop was jam packed just about all the time, while the others rarely had more than a couple customers at a time. Who do you think made more money, and had more repeat customers?

The one-man shop came from your comment about owning a business as a means to living high on the hog. From the sounds of it, I figured your dad was running a one-man show, which it sounds like he now is. I know more than I care to about the awesomeness of self-employment, my dad has owned his own contracting company for most of my life, and never had an employee. He's well versed in such subjects as "Why Paying Both Halves of FICA Sucks" and "Unemployment: The Insurance I Pay For, But Can't Use". Between the economy and now being solo, it sounds like your dad is doing well to still be in business. Not having (relatively) low paid worker bees to help out can seriously hurt the bottom line. But hey, if you don't have the work for them to do, they ain't making you any money!

Agree with much of that, Unfortunately the town my dad's shop is in changes school taxes and property tax yearly. Now the town I bought my house in hasn't reassessed in 25 years. The only reason my dad is still there is because in 2005 when things got really bad he ditched Yamaha and sold his second shop and down sized big time. Half of the Yamaha dealers in upstate NY failed or just plain closed the doors and retired on what they had. Things have slowed down where I live because a huge amount are welfare. The schools there are something like 40% welfare. Not to mention there are tons of 2 car garage sledge hammers around that do it for next to nothing. That is in part to what has helped my dad. They go there thinking they are saving money and pay cash etc. then something breaks and the person that did the work doesn't know a thing and they get screwed. Moving isn't usually an option where I live, most own their buildings or are paying on them. In order to downsize they would have to sell their current location first and that is next to impossible.

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of the whole post all you got was taxes and mechanic's pay..... I believe I added a few more things to that list. Also the shops that charge you more are more likely to stand behind their work. The ones that do it for cheap don't really care what they screw up because they know you will be back because you pay the cheaper rate. Also at the cheaper rate, is the driveway blacktopped? floor clean? nice equipment? You also made a very simple statement you work for him. I am sure there are things that cost him money that you don't even think about. At least where I live the shop that does everything at the "reasonable" rate has nothing its not even really a shop, its an old barn with a dirt floor. Their idea of dismounting ATV tires is to shove a screw driver through the side wall...... Also things are much different in Oregon! have been there had to have 4 tires mounted on my scion XB there. I was in Corvallis. I was charged $800 for 4 Good Year ice tires and alignment. Tires were only $115 a piece and the alignment was $90......

"Also the shops that charge you more are more likely to stand behind their work. The ones that do it for cheap don't really care what they screw up because they know you will be back because you pay the cheaper rate. "

I am sorry, but this is a load of crap, plain and simple.

"Also at the cheaper rate, is the driveway blacktopped? floor clean? nice equipment?"

The dealer ship is really nice and clean, good tools, nice blacktop parking lot, and I will never take my bike there. I will take it to the guy who's doing it out of his garage that has the PASSION of motorcycles and cares about my bike just as much as I do. This person does not price gouge, but does solid honest work.

The bottom line is, Shops or mechanics that are reputable, that do not price gouge, will stay in business.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually $75 hr shop rate is considered pretty low, it's $90 or $100 around here. But they usually have a half or one hour minimums. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that I discovered my Valve Stem was leaking whenever you wiggled it. I was on a roadtrip to LA and stopped at a stealership in Victorville, they wanted to charge me $80 to remove the front tire and replace the valve stem. I kept on riding after I heard that.

You're an adult, this one is on you as you said. You should have received a quote. You are not the first person to create a thread like this. Did the shop replace your valve stem?

A. not a clue, haven't looked at the bike since i got it home, but i'd assume so.

B. I didn't bother with a quote (dumba$$) because i trusted the guy, because, as i said, he's done work in the past that was a decently fair price.

C. I know the other shop (that i should have gone to) would have done it for 35 bucks a tire, with the tire on the bike, and have it back to me in an hour. How do i know this? because i called and asked them yesterday because i wanted to know just how bad i got screwed at this place.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a very scary thought....You slip and screw up your ankle... Where does that get you? I often find it amazing what people will do to save a little bit of money...

Just out of curiosity. Do you raise and grow your own food? brew your own beer? Do you never go out to eat?

You must have missed the part where i said it was ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD..... so ya let me tote my tire machine in my tank bag just incase i get a flat.....is it better and safer to use a machine yes can you do it without one yes...id be willing to bet you also have to read the instructions on how to install a micowave too.....

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Look, dxhz24, you have to realize that the shop owner that did the work for you may have significant boat payments. Do you know how much it is to maintain, say, a 30 ft. boat? Yeah, I thought so! There's boat insurance, boat berthing fees, constant maintainance, license, registration, and more than anything, HUGE fuel bills. So, before you go on to b & complain about sky high prices why don't you first consider the other side? And, oh, about your other complaint about not getting the service performed in a reasonable time, think about the poor shop owner and his/her shop buddies. They work hard and did you stop to consider that maybe they needed to be on the boat cruising and drinking that day or so? Owning a boat is EXPENSIVE!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must have missed the part where i said it was ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD..... so ya let me tote my tire machine in my tank bag just incase i get a flat.....is it better and safer to use a machine yes can you do it without one yes...id be willing to bet you also have to read the instructions on how to install a micowave too.....

Wow no I didn't, But I would say you need some anger management classes!:spank: install a microwave... wow really. You had to install yours? last time I checked you take it out of the box put it on the counter and plug it in. Did you pay the best buy Geek Squad to come "install" yours for you? hahahahahahhahahahahaha

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look, dxhz24, you have to realize that the shop owner that did the work for you may have significant boat payments. Do you know how much it is to maintain, say, a 30 ft. boat? Yeah, I thought so! There's boat insurance, boat berthing fees, constant maintainance, license, registration, and more than anything, HUGE fuel bills. So, before you go on to b & complain about sky high prices why don't you first consider the other side? And, oh, about your other complaint about not getting the service performed in a reasonable time, think about the poor shop owner and his/her shop buddies. They work hard and did you stop to consider that maybe they needed to be on the boat cruising and drinking that day or so? Owning a boat is EXPENSIVE!

na thats the dealers banker and its a 50' :spank:

oldschoolsdime92

Reaction score
Visit site
almost 7 months now in my front tire...my tires shows very little wear.. y r u not happy w them?

I have never had tires cup so bad in my entire riding career. I purchased identical tires as last time but this time, and will be balancing them traditionally, to see if its the tire or the beads. But as of now, im blaming beads.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"Can't we all just get along?!"

I've been there. Had one dealer that was very reasonable and one that surprised me with what I thought was robbery. You live, get overcharged, and learn. Now I buy my rubber from Cyclegear, pull my wheels, have them swap and balance for 20 bucks a wheel. Re-install my wheels, align rear wheel and set chain tension properly.

I think you should know what it will cost and not be surprised but it is your responsibility to ask questions as I've found out. Don't assume, as I have, the last price you paid will be the price.

Edit: I may in the future, because of scheduling or some other situation have the dealer do it but I won't be surprised at the price. I'll shop for a good price and of course no doubt have to loosen an over tightened chain and possibly misaligned wheel.
I'm thinking off asking the dealers if they're interested in chain stretchers so that they can pre stretch the customers chains and then set the chain to the proper specs. instead of setting the chains too tight and making the customers stretch the chains. LOL!

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I've been there. Had one dealer that was very reasonable and one that surprised me with what I thought was robbery. You live, get overcharged, and learn. Now I buy my rubber from Cyclegear, pull my wheels, have them swap and balance for 20 bucks a wheel. Re-install my wheels, align rear wheel and set chain tension properly.

I think you should know what it will cost and not be surprised but it is your responsibility to ask questions as I've found out. Don't assume, as I have, the last price you paid will be the price.

O I suppose but thats no fun. Besides I am full blooded Irish and don't back down:spank: My bad

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow no I didn't, But I would say you need some anger management classes!:spank: install a microwave... wow really. You had to install yours? last time I checked you take it out of the box put it on the counter and plug it in. Did you pay the best buy Geek Squad to come "install" yours for you? hahahahahahhahahahahaha

So if you ever happen to be out in the middle of nowhere at least 70 miles from the closeest town and get a flat, what would you do? Leave your bike there and ride 2 up to town to get it fixed, or call a tow truck and pay for them to take you to town when you have everything on your bike needed to fix it....its guess its ok if you dont have any mechanical ability but if you can do whats the point in not doing it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Edit: I may in the future, because of scheduling or some other situation have the dealer do it but I won't be surprised at the price. I'll shop for a good price and of course no doubt have to loosen an over tightened chain and possibly misaligned wheel.
I'm thinking of asking the dealers if they're interested in chain stretchers so that they can pre stretch the customers chains and then set the chain to the proper specs. instead of setting the chains too tight and making the customers stretch the chains. LOL!

Why dose it seem like its only the dealers who do that i have never herd of anyone coming from a smaller shop with a misalignment or overtightend chain