Bike Additives... Do you use any?

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone uses any types of additives like octane boosters and cleaners and if they actually work at all or can harm the bike and if you have any recommendations please let me know.

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I've grown-up on seafoam:D

Now, I am not the most knowledgeable person, So maybe I can learn something from this thread as well! :thumbup:

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
Being as my FZ6 is still extremely new, I haven't used anything in it yet. But I did run Conkin 4-Power through my ninja 250 a couple of times. And I run it through the cages occasionally.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I run either Seafoam, or Stabil Marine Formula. Both products help preserve the fuel, clean carbon from injectors, piston crowns and valves. The Stabil Marine Formula goes one step further and helps prevent our new Ethanol laced fuel from a condition known as phase separation.

I don't run the products in every gallon of fuel, but I do put some in every 2-3 fill-ups.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
"Sta-bil" at the end of the riding season in the recommeded dosage/gal.

In the spring I try to burn off the "storage" tank most of the the way, then refill with fresh fuel and add "the good" Techron FI cleaner at recommended dosage.

Note that Techron comes in two flavors, the price is the easy way to tell them apart. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seafoam and Chevron techtron on occasion.

I also use a marine fuel cleaner/stabilizer additive in every fuel burning machine I own/every fill up, to prevent problems with ethenol...

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
On one particular ride I went to the gas station and filled up, moments later the engine began to ping. I continued down the road to the auto parts store and purchased octane booster, under these circumstances it was beneficial, but otherwise I would not have used the product.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Please enlighten me people.
I have been riding for years and owned a number of different bikes over the years. I never used any additives on any of then. What is the real benefit to using them? :confused:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Stabil keeps fuel from breaking down and gumming up when in storage, which prevents gum/varnish buildup from occuring in the tank, injectors, carbs, etc.

Techron is proven good fuel system cleaner, also cleans carbon off of valves.

Seafoam is also a fuel/carbon cleaner, differerent formulation than techron. I would say it is actually more commonly used a carbon cleaner than a FI cleaner though.

Most gas in the US is a E10 blend now. Ethanol attracts water (bad) and is corrosive to some metals (bad). Ethanol blends are less stable than pure gasoline and begin to break down/separate quickly (weeks vs months).

If you rack up a lot of miles its not really an issue, but if your bike sits for periods of time, or especially over the winter months in storage, bad things can happen over time.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Stabil keeps fuel from breaking down and gumming up when in storage, which prevents gum/varnish buildup from occuring in the tank, injectors, carbs, etc.

Techron is proven good fuel system cleaner, also cleans carbon off of valves.

Seafoam is also a fuel/carbon cleaner, differerent formulation than techron. I would say it is actually more commonly used a carbon cleaner than a FI cleaner though.

Most gas in the US is a E10 blend now. Ethanol attracts water (bad) and is corrosive to some metals (bad). Ethanol blends are less stable than pure gasoline and begin to break down/separate quickly (weeks vs months).

If you rack up a lot of miles its not really an issue, but if your bike sits for periods of time, or especially over the winter months in storage, bad things can happen over time.

Thanks. :thumbup:
I do understand the buildup if you store the bike over a period of time. That's the thing. I ride year round if I can. I do about 300 km a week. I use Chevron with techron gas.