Bi-xenon H4 HID bulbs in BOTH headlamps?

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've searched lots of headlamp mod threads on here, but I haven't found anyone who's tried this yet... I think...

Has anyone purchased a dual H4 bi-xenon HID kit, and adapted the one H4 HID bulb base to fit an 08 FZ6 S2?

I'm thinking that...

If I modify the one H4 HID bixenon bulb as per Cashcrzzy's H4 bulb modification to fit into the low-beam only headlight, and do the wiring modification using the switched low beam wire in the lightswitch loom as per Shaggystyles instructions, then I will have two switched low beam and two switched high beam bixenon bulbs. I believe both bulbs would have to be switched low and switched high, due to the way bi-xenon bulbs work - they wouldn't work if the low beam feed stayed live at the same time as the high beam, is this correct?

Am I mad as a box of frogs to even consider dremmeling away at a HID bulb base?

In short - good idea, or should I take my boxer shorts off my head and crawl back under the rock?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a good idea and you should do it, i am going to do exactly this when i do my High beam HID.

although you sounds a bit off with how the HID kits actually work, the low beam feed is the only feed that keeps the bulb lit, the high beam is just a control for the magnet that controls the actuation of the bulb, so the low beam MUST be on for there to be light.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a good idea and you should do it, i am going to do exactly this when i do my High beam HID.

although you sounds a bit off with how the HID kits actually work, the low beam feed is the only feed that keeps the bulb lit, the high beam is just a control for the magnet that controls the actuation of the bulb, so the low beam MUST be on for there to be light.

This is exactly correct. If you do the "proper" dual headlight mod, you will lose the bixenon function of an HID conversion kit. There must be current running the low beams at all times for these kits to stay lit.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly correct. If you do the \"proper\" dual headlight mod, you will lose the bixenon function of an HID conversion kit. There must be current running the low beams at all times for these kits to stay lit.

so to expand on this, wire both kits up exactly the same, both as low beam kits and then hook up the high beam wire to it. the load should be fine for the wires since HIDs use significantly less power. But if you are worried you can always add a relay.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not very good with these things so this may not be true. I remember reading somewhere that Xenon bulbs consume electricity in a high rate at the time they are switched on. How much or for how long this is, I have no idea. Maybe switching from low to high or the other way around draws too much energy? I always wanted to ask about this and I never did.

Do I make sense? :Flash: lol

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, thank you for your replies, this simplifies things nicely for the wiring as I don't have to worry about a switched low beam supply.

Re the comment about current draw, yes they use an initial wallop of juice to fire up, but once running they only pull 35 watts. And high beam uses the same light source as low beam, bit there's a small metal shield that detracts to let more light out so they don't use any more power. It also means I'll be able to flash the lights as long as low beam is on, and I always ride with low beam on even on sunny days.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
so to expand on this, wire both kits up exactly the same, both as low beam kits and then hook up the high beam wire to it. the load should be fine for the wires since HIDs use significantly less power. But if you are worried you can always add a relay.

Most high quality HID conversion kits already have the relay built in. They hook directly up to the battery and only use the headlight harness to activate the relay. This keeps from overloading the plastic harness during that initial fire-up when HID pulls a lot of current.

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly correct. If you do the "proper" dual headlight mod, you will lose the bixenon function of an HID conversion kit. There must be current running the low beams at all times for these kits to stay lit.
Bringing a thread out of hibernation here. :D

In terms of a bi-xenon H4 setup, there are 2 ways to do this: a) use an H4 kit that places the bulb arc in the Hi position, with a shutter to create lo-beam (not sure if our reflectors are designed to give a proper cutoff in this configuration though), and b) use a kit that PHYSICALLY moves the bulb forward and back (ie Telescopic function). I'm going to gun for confguration b) as you know that was the way the reflector was designed to be used.

I found 2 places that offer such kits, and am in the process of asking them some technical questions to clear this up. Stay tuned.

www.sharphid.com

www.dabears2k.com

For my bike, I've done the "proper" dual-bulb mod. (ie my H4 lo-beam wire switches off when hi-beam is activated). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a simple diode connected between the hi and lo wires at the socket will keep the juice flowing to the low-beam at all times, while giving you control over current flow to the hi wire.

Last edited:

Waniek

Reaction score
Visit site
i have question about HID in naked version. Do you know if the head lamp "mirror" can be adjusted? i am a bit afraid of using the bi-xenon kit cause of relfections.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Bringing a thread out of hibernation here. :D
For my bike, I've done the "proper" dual-bulb mod. (ie my H4 lo-beam wire switches off when hi-beam is activated). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a simple diode connected between the hi and lo wires at the socket will keep the juice flowing to the low-beam at all times, while giving you control over current flow to the hi wire.

A diode should make it so that the low beam will have power the whole time. Just make sure the diode is "facing" the right direction (with the stripe towards the low beam lead) and make sure the diode used is resilient enough to withstand the initial fire-up of the HID ballast. I would look somewhere other than Radio Shack for this one.