Best Mods to make my FZ commuter friendly ?

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally use my FZ for commuting so wondering what are the best mods i can do to make it better for commuting ?

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends. How far is the commute? Highway or through a city? How much stuff do you carry to work?

A few "commuting suggestions": taller windshield, handlebar riser, different handlebar, top case/soft bags, tail bag or tank bag. Maybe even different gearing if you're spending a lot of highway time.

The possibilities are endless....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a 80 mile round trip and i would say its 50/50 (motorway/city)

I already have the touring windshield and a Givi top box.

The main one i've been thinking about is changing the handle bars.... i prefer a more upright position.

Will be doing the dual headlight mod soon.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
my commute is ~126 miles total.....I went +1 on the front sprocket and it helped alot with lowering the rpm's on the highway.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I can vouch for the +1 front sprocket. Better gas mileage, lower rpm's, and a true 60 MPH in first gear. Only time I wish I had the stock sprocket or -1 is when I'm riding with a passenger and starting from a stop on an uphill.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
my commute is ~126 miles total.....I went +1 on the front sprocket and it helped alot with lowering the rpm's on the highway.

By lowering the RPM's does it lower the vibration at 6k plus rpm. It should right? I'm so excited if it does, the vibes over 6k RPM on my long rides kills me.

Last edited:

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
What tooth front sprocket is best for lower RPM on motorways ? Did you have to re-calibrate the speedo ?

Anyone know where i can buy bar risers in the UK ? I think i would prefer up and back risers.

Thanks for all the replies so far :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Does this equate to better mileage? I'm STILL to do my +1... (got it all, but now my baby isn't as pretty, so I need to sort out the insurance)

Cheers,
Rick

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The +1 sprocket DOES equate to better gas mileage as the engine is turning fewer RPM's for a given speed. The best I've recorded is 59 MPG riding mostly highway at around 70 MPH. But I usually don't care for conserving fuel and get around 45 MPG. As for the vibrations, the sprocket change by itself will not have any effect on them, other than lowering the revs so if you are going at the same speed on the highway, you will have less vibration. I machined myself some bar ends that weigh about twice what the stock ones weigh. Any vibrations I had are LONG gone.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
What tooth front sprocket is best for lower RPM on motorways ? Did you have to re-calibrate the speedo ?

Anyone know where i can buy bar risers in the UK ? I think i would prefer up and back risers.

Thanks for all the replies so far :thumbup:

Lucky for you, the speedo is about 6-7% happy from the factory and will be nearly dead on with the 17T sprocket. I've confirmed with GPS that it is within 1% of actual at all speeds.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to derail this thread because it has been pretty good so far

BUT

You could always upgrade your light system so nobody will pull in front of you for fear you are a space ship and you have an unimpeded trip to work.

View attachment 45902

You could get some handlebars like these to really have a ergonomic riding position

View attachment 45898

You could add a 1983 mustang body for more passengers, and temperature control for those cold morning rides

View attachment 45899

You could upgrade your audio system

View attachment 45900

You could redo the rear end with a bigger tire and a 6 bottle NOS kit so you could go faster. Hope you are only going straight though.

View attachment 45897

Or finally you could trade in the Fz6 and draft like a pro Suzuki rider. No wind buffeting at all.

View attachment 45901

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should you need risers, this company has different heights, set back, etc: Handlebar Risers Handlebar Accessories Custom Handlebars Motorcycle Handlebars Motorcycle Handlebar Accessories Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki - GenMar Mfg

I'm 5'8, 54 Years old and don't do the leaning forward thing well. The stock bars/set up was a little too forward for me for any lenth of time...

+1 on grip puppies too, definitly helps with the vibes...

The below picture is the 1" up 1&3/8" back risers, and yes the stock cables will fit. The stock brake line clamp on the lower triple needs slight tweeking as the brake line is at the limit. I had my SS lines lines made a little longer. The silver angle plate is for the GPS I made to fit and take up the new space with the risers...

Last edited:

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
These aren't really comfort mods but things I've done for city riding. Maybe a cradle and charging set up for a mobile device/music player/gps? I couldn't do that long of a commute without headphones.

I put a garage door opener under the gas tank too so I don't even have to stop moving to pull it in anymore, I don't know why I didn't do that earlier.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a garage door opener on the top of my tank bag that I can push while riding towards my house. I also have a GPS mount on the handlebar and a 12V accessory plug wired into my bike.