Been looking at the FZ6 as a next bike, but...

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know people say that the FZ6 is buzzy at certain RPMs, but when I rode my buddy's SV650s, I could not believe how buzzy it was in all RPMs. Even where it was least buzzy, I thought was WAY more buzzy than the FZ's buzziest RPM. Also I'd heard about the SV's amazing torque, but once again when I rode my buddy's bike, I was surprised and disapointed at it...I did not feel a stronger pull at all compared to my FZ. Those are my 2 cents.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats nice.

I heard that the V-strom has about 10HP, or 60HP...

Why would you buy it?

Sorry, I am all about performance. That is a nice all rounder machine. It has the SV650 engine with different tuning, to make it more "manageable" and "linear". All and all, I think it may actually be more of a workhorse than the FZ6.

Peace

UncleG

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is my first post, not too good with computers.

I can sway rides with you. Where are you located in 626? I am in 626 also.

Mark

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is my first post, not too good with computers.

I can sway rides with you. Where are you located in 626? I am in 626 also.

Mark

Hey man, your first post since you joined in March?! Cool! I'm in Monrovia, where you at?

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats nice.

I heard that the V-strom has about 10HP, or 60HP...

Why would you buy it?

Peace

What?! You're not serious are you? The SV and V-Strom share the same motors. The 650 has 72hp/47ft-lb the 1000 has 120hp/75ft-lb.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I know people say that the FZ6 is buzzy at certain RPMs, but when I rode my buddy's SV650s, I could not believe how buzzy it was in all RPMs. Even where it was least buzzy, I thought was WAY more buzzy than the FZ's buzziest RPM. Also I'd heard about the SV's amazing torque, but once again when I rode my buddy's bike, I was surprised and disapointed at it...I did not feel a stronger pull at all compared to my FZ. Those are my 2 cents.

That's what I thought too! I haven't rode an I4 at length, but I just couldn't see it being more buzzy than a parallel-twin or v-twin.

As for feeling a stronger pull, I think you just didn't open up the throttle enough, it reaaaaaaaally pulls you! I know the FZ has more power, but it's down on the torque. I rode an XB9 and thought the same thing, "where's this supposed torque?", just didn't twist that right wrist enough! :D

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Click on my name, then a drop down menu appears. Select "Send a Private Message To...".

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I traded an SV650 for a V-Strom 650 for a FZ6 so I kind of consider myself an expert on this particular issue. The inline 4 of the FZ6 is hands down without a doubt no questions asked no room for arguement WAAAAAAY buzzier than the v-twins of the other two. This is based on a year on the SV, two years on the V-Strom and a few weeks on the FZ6. When I first got on the FZ6 to ride it home, between 5k - 6k rpm it reminded me of a two wheeled vibrator. A 450lb 60mph sex toy.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Them strong words Convict1997! :p

So is it relatively smooth before and after that particular stretch of RPM's?

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, on either side of that range, I don't recall much of a difference between the two motors. But, within that range, the FZ6 really lets you know it's running.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess we must have ridden very different machines because after 20 minutes of riding my buddy's bike i was getting really annoyed by the vibrations and with my FZ6, I never notice the vibrations. And as for the torque, i did try and open it up, and i am not saying that it did not have a lot of pull, I guess I was just expecting a large difference between the sv and fz.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
So this afternoon UncleG/Mark and I met up to do a ride and swap. We met up, talked a bit, then swapped bikes to ride a pretty laid back twisty road up a local canyon. First thing I noticed was the engine is QUIET! Turned on the motor and had to double check the RPM and lights to make sure it was on. :D The toe shifter was located higher than on my SV. This made shifting different, but I got used to it. The pegs are lower and more forward than my bike, makes for a comfortable ride. All I can say is that this bike is SMOOTH!!! No vibrations, I mean the little bit between 4.5-6K rpm's is nothing compared to my SV. The SV assures you that you're riding a motorcycle while the FZ6 just glides you around. On this particular road I find myself constantly shifting with my SV between 3rd and 4th gears, with the FZ, I think I was in 3rd the whole time! When you let off the throttle, it just slows you down, no jerking, no upsetting the suspension. When you let off the throttle with the SV, they're is so much engine braking that the bike jerks, a lot. Cornering with the FZ takes a little more effort, but not much. It felt very planted, but that's partly due to Mark upgrading the forks with RaceTech springs I'm sure. I can definitely see where this bike is a Jekyll and Hyde. Below 6K rpms, it's a great cruiser-like bike. Above that, I could feel it start to pull. I didn't take it up too high, but I could feel it had a lot more to give. Not a very heavy feeling bike at all. Overall I was really pleased with the bike. However, getting back on my SV, I really appreciated the ease in which I could flick it back and forth on the tight road we went on afterwards. I'm sure if I had an FZ I'd get used to it and be able to flick it around just as much. I will be selling my SV for sure now and then start looking for my next bike, an FZ6!

Thanks again Mark, it was really nice to meet you and I appreciate you allowing me to ride you're great bike! :thumbup:

T Bong

Reaction score
Visit site
Great report. I too have been looking at both these bikes. I currently ride a Yamaha V Star 1300 and have been riding cruisers for 30 years. My last none twin was a Yamaha 750 and I have had a CB900, a couple Kawi GPs,. Yamaha, 650 Thumper, and a few others. My first bike was a naked GL1000 Gold Wing

I have made two RT cross country trips SD/NJ in the past 30 or so years One on the GL1000 another on a Honda VT1100. I don't envision going on any long ride like that again.

I am looking for a light commuter that has a smooth power band, is not torqey? and behaves in the lower end of things. My high risk canyon rides and track days are in the past. I have an affinity for the V Twin but from what I am reading here the FZ6R may be a better choice....Over in the SVriders forum they have drastically different opinions of the FZ then here which makes things confusing.

The bottom line is I want a light nimble commuter that can also be ridin two up on maybe 6 hour trips. The Honda VFR Interceptor is also on the list although the maintenance is expense on that guy,.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I am looking for a light commuter that has a smooth power band, is not torqey? and behaves in the lower end of things. My high risk canyon rides and track days are in the past. I have an affinity for the V Twin but from what I am reading here the FZ6R may be a better choice....Over in the SVriders forum they have drastically different opinions of the FZ then here which makes things confusing.

The bottom line is I want a light nimble commuter that can also be ridin two up on maybe 6 hour trips. The Honda VFR Interceptor is also on the list although the maintenance is expense on that guy,.

honestly, i think most people like what they have and find a way to say how it's better than something else. it's a bit of human nature. so i think the sv guys will talk up their bikes and we'll talk up ours.

i will say, i use mine mainly for commuting and couldn't be happier. every now and then i see a bike that i think i'd like to have and then i try to think of how it could be better than what i have. right now, there just isn't anything better for my current needs. doesn't mean there aren't some cool bikes i wouldn't mind having as a 2nd or 3rd bike.

also, just a note, the fz6r is a different bike than the fz6. the r is heavier, less horsepower and has a full fairing. there are more differences, but those are the first three that jump out at me.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
SV's are torquey and vibrate the bars/pegs throughout the rpm range. It was pretty funny after we (UncleG and me) stopped and started talking about the ride, he said he kept trying to upshift thinking the vibrations would go away! :rof:

Like "dean" said, if you go to a bike specific site, you'll find the majority praising their bike. With the SV, most people complain about the suspension, and rightly so. The front end is squishy, seriously. Not as bad as my previous 500R, but it's noticeable. If all you're planning on doing is cruising around, I'd get the FZ6 any day. It's a very practical bike; center-stand, 5 gallon gas tank, half fairing, comfy seat, comfy peg position, smooth motor, fairly light-weight, and from what I can see, inexpensive to own. The naked SV is a great bike, but the pegs are about an inch up and back at least, compared to the FZ. Great for the twisties, not so great on longish rides. The seat is pretty hard and a source of many complaints from those that ride their SV's for more than an hour at a time. Other than that, down-shifting is something that must be done smoothly or you'll get jerked back and forth. The SV, for me at least, inspires hooligan behaviour. Because the power is RIGHT there from 0 mph. It pulls all the way to about 9.5K rpm. The V-twin bark is intoxicating for certain.

I'm still on the fence about getting an FZ after all. I like the power that comes from a lot of torque. I'm not saying the FZ is a slouch from 0, but it just requires more rpms to get to it's sweet spot. I didn't even get close while riding UncleG's bike, but I'm sure it's a hoot. I will say that I was almost instantly comfortable on the FZ. My SV took quite a while to get comfortable on, part of that could be that I've ridden more since then, but I attribute a lot to the bike. :thumbup:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
You asked about driving in traffic... while I have a nice 15 minute pull where I can play around at 80+ MPH. My 60 minutes home runs from 65 down the west side hwy to pulling 2 miles between 6 and 15 MPH across midtown... The bike gets heavy feeling in traffic I cant lie, but the riding position is comfy enough that it wont kill you... and it is almost scooter like as its not too tough to keep upright with feet on pegs in the ridiculously low speeds...

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
That is definitely something the SV is GREAT at; low speed maneuverability. I can almost be at a standstill on it and not need a foot down. However, I wouldn't really say the FZ is that bad in my small experience with it. A VFR would be MUCH worse. ;)

UncleG

Reaction score
Visit site
So this afternoon UncleG/Mark and I met up to do a ride and swap. We met up, talked a bit, then swapped bikes to ride a pretty laid back twisty road up a local canyon. First thing I noticed was the engine is QUIET! Turned on the motor and had to double check the RPM and lights to make sure it was on. :D The toe shifter was located higher than on my SV. This made shifting different, but I got used to it. The pegs are lower and more forward than my bike, makes for a comfortable ride. All I can say is that this bike is SMOOTH!!! No vibrations, I mean the little bit between 4.5-6K rpm's is nothing compared to my SV. The SV assures you that you're riding a motorcycle while the FZ6 just glides you around. On this particular road I find myself constantly shifting with my SV between 3rd and 4th gears, with the FZ, I think I was in 3rd the whole time! When you let off the throttle, it just slows you down, no jerking, no upsetting the suspension. When you let off the throttle with the SV, they're is so much engine braking that the bike jerks, a lot. Cornering with the FZ takes a little more effort, but not much. It felt very planted, but that's partly due to Mark upgrading the forks with RaceTech springs I'm sure. I can definitely see where this bike is a Jekyll and Hyde. Below 6K rpms, it's a great cruiser-like bike. Above that, I could feel it start to pull. I didn't take it up too high, but I could feel it had a lot more to give. Not a very heavy feeling bike at all. Overall I was really pleased with the bike. However, getting back on my SV, I really appreciated the ease in which I could flick it back and forth on the tight road we went on afterwards. I'm sure if I had an FZ I'd get used to it and be able to flick it around just as much. I will be selling my SV for sure now and then start looking for my next bike, an FZ6!

Thanks again Mark, it was really nice to meet you and I appreciate you allowing me to ride you're great bike! :thumbup:

Hey Emcee, nice to meet you too and great write up. You should try the FZ on the freeway sometime.

After hearing all the raves about the SV from other people, I always wanted a chance to ride one and compare it to the FZ. Initial impression, I was surprised to see vibrations on the SV. I mean I hear people complain about vibrations on the FZ at about 5k to 6k rpms but never on the SV. After the short ride, my hands were vibrating like crazy. However, the SV does corner easier and feels like it's made for the twisties. Overall, I think the SV is great for the twisties and short rides, but I'll stick with the FZ for overall praticality.