Been looking at the FZ6 as a next bike, but...

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all! I've just registered, it looks like a really great site, looking forward to learning more about the FZ6. You can only learn so much from reviews.

I currently ride an 05 SV650N (naked). While I love the torque and flickability of this bike, I feel it's somehow just not the bike for me. So I'm at a point now where I'm either going to modify my bike and keep it or sell it and pick something else up.

Things I like about the FZ6 are the wind protection, the big gas tank, the center-stand, the top end power, good 2-up capabilities, and it just seems more like a sports-tourer.

The problem is that I've never ridden one, no one I know has one either! So, would anyone be willing to meet up and swap bikes for a short ride? I just want to get a feel on how the power comes on, how it brakes, the suspension, how that 180 rear tire feels in low speed turns, all that. I live in the San Gabriel Valley, but I'd be willing to ride out as far north as Ventura, as far south as Irvine, and as far east as San Bernardino, etc.

Here's a pic of my bumblebee, shortly after I got it.

DSC03948.jpg

Thank you!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
good luck.

if that doesn't work out, maybe you can find a dealer in the area with a used one on their lot. sometimes dealers are willing to let you ride a used one around... especially if that could send you over the edge.

also, i don't know how much experience you have so i hesitate to make this suggestion, but you could also look at the fz1. there's two generations of them. i don't know much, but the first gen has carbs, a steal frame and a more upright seating position. the gen II has FI, cast alum frame and a slightly sportier (yet still upright-ish) seating position. they both differ in their suspension as well. their tanks are smaller than the fz6 and gas mpg isn't as good but isn't bad. if you have some miles under your belt and do a lot of 2up touring you might want to put that on a short list.

there are a few fz1 owners on here that can probably give better info for you. i'm not saying to not get the fz6, just giving you another bike to look at if the fz6 doesn't work out for you. personally, i love mine and think everyone should own one. :thumbup:

good luck on the search.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I've got a little over a year and about 9K miles under my belt. Up and down all the good spots in SoCA; ACH/AFH, GMR, Malibu, 33, 243, 38, 39, Palomar, etc. I love the way the FZ1 looks and the adjustable suspension, but it's way more bike than I need.

As for the bike night offer, I appreciate it, but I'm not too fond of bike nights. I prefer to just ride, thanks though. :thumbup:

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
I owned a SV650 before i got my FZ6 and it was a worthwhile upgrade. The inline four makes for a more relaxed ride although there is a significante increase in horsepower. Might be it's because the torque has moved up the RPM range, but i like it.
Only problem so far is the suspension, which deserves to be upgraded, it is way to soft for my liking.

Generally i feel the FZ6 is a better package overall compared to the SV650, but your going to miss the V2 thunder :D

Hope you will find someone who will let you try a FZ6.

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to own an 06 SV650 and I recently purchased an 05 FZ6. I don't have a lot of time on the FZ6 yet but there were some differences that were immediately apparent. First, sound. I preferred the exhaust note of the v-twin SV to the higher pitched buzz of the inline 4, but this would be a personal preference. The SV definitely has better low end torque, but there is also that annoying on/off throttle response that makes for jerky slow parking lot maneauvers. I did feel like the wider rear tire hindered me in turning a little over my last bike (DL650 V-Strom) but that may be because I'm just not used to this one, yet. I imagine some more time in the saddle and I won't even notice the difference. I can't say for sure since it's been a couple of years, but I believe the FZ6 feels a lot faster. The SV would probably take it off the line but the FZ6 should catch up pretty quickly. But, the FZ6 motor does make for easy relaxed cruising while still being able to quickly launch you to illegal speeds if you feel so inclined. The FZ6 is, for lack of a better word, buzzier. At certain RPM's the bike becomes a two wheeled vibrator. Should be fun for any women I have on the back. Most of my riding will be solo, so I'll have to report back on that. The fairing on the FZ6 will definitley provide better wind protection than the naked SV. I think I'll be looking into a taller windscreen as the stock one seems to direct the airflow right under and into my helmet. The riding position seems similar with both being fairly upright. I like the fact that it has a centerstand which makes maintenance much easier. The lack of a gas gauge on the SV isn't too bad until you've had a bike with one, and then you'll miss it. So far, I haven't found any reason to dislike the FZ6. Both are good bikes with their own characteristics. If you're like me, you get bored easily. I seem to change bikes every few years. If that's the case, then I say go for it. But, the SV is a good bike and can be set up for touring. But, for some long distance with plenty of room for luggage, I'd say the V-Strom beats both the SV and the FZ6. Same motor as the SV but retuned for more low/mid range power. Wide seat with a rear carrier that I was able to load up with everything I needed to go on a four day camping trip. It all depends on your finances and what you want to do with the bike.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I owned a SV650 before i got my FZ6 and it was a worthwhile upgrade. The inline four makes for a more relaxed ride although there is a significante increase in horsepower. Might be it's because the torque has moved up the RPM range, but i like it.
Only problem so far is the suspension, which deserves to be upgraded, it is way to soft for my liking.

Generally i feel the FZ6 is a better package overall compared to the SV650, but your going to miss the V2 thunder :D

Hope you will find someone who will let you try a FZ6.

Thanks, that's what I assumed as far as the power. I4's are supposed to make power in a smoother way, seems to hold true I suppose? As for suspension, the way I see it, on most "budget-based" bikes, you'll have to go aftermarket. If I were to get an FZ6 I know I'd miss that power right off the line.

I have no idea what the SV is like but i say any upgrade from a Suzuki to a mighty Yamaha is worth it :D :thumbup:.....

:welcome: to the forum aswell :thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome, I don't play fan boy to any brand. I love all sorts of bikes, no matter their brand. :thumbup:

I used to own an 06 SV650 and I recently purchased an 05 FZ6. I don't have a lot of time on the FZ6 yet but there were some differences that were immediately apparent. First, sound. I preferred the exhaust note of the v-twin SV to the higher pitched buzz of the inline 4, but this would be a personal preference. The SV definitely has better low end torque, but there is also that annoying on/off throttle response that makes for jerky slow parking lot maneauvers. I did feel like the wider rear tire hindered me in turning a little over my last bike (DL650 V-Strom) but that may be because I'm just not used to this one, yet. I imagine some more time in the saddle and I won't even notice the difference. I can't say for sure since it's been a couple of years, but I believe the FZ6 feels a lot faster. The SV would probably take it off the line but the FZ6 should catch up pretty quickly. But, the FZ6 motor does make for easy relaxed cruising while still being able to quickly launch you to illegal speeds if you feel so inclined. The FZ6 is, for lack of a better word, buzzier. At certain RPM's the bike becomes a two wheeled vibrator. Should be fun for any women I have on the back. Most of my riding will be solo, so I'll have to report back on that. The fairing on the FZ6 will definitley provide better wind protection than the naked SV. I think I'll be looking into a taller windscreen as the stock one seems to direct the airflow right under and into my helmet. The riding position seems similar with both being fairly upright. I like the fact that it has a centerstand which makes maintenance much easier. The lack of a gas gauge on the SV isn't too bad until you've had a bike with one, and then you'll miss it. So far, I haven't found any reason to dislike the FZ6. Both are good bikes with their own characteristics. If you're like me, you get bored easily. I seem to change bikes every few years. If that's the case, then I say go for it. But, the SV is a good bike and can be set up for touring. But, for some long distance with plenty of room for luggage, I'd say the V-Strom beats both the SV and the FZ6. Same motor as the SV but retuned for more low/mid range power. Wide seat with a rear carrier that I was able to load up with everything I needed to go on a four day camping trip. It all depends on your finances and what you want to do with the bike.

Thanks for the great write up! Much appreciated. The torque in the SV definitely will make for jerky slow maneuvers, which makes slipping the clutch a necessary skill. It's not a big deal to me. I'm surprised to hear people say that I4's are buzzy, you'd think twins or thumpers would be the buzzy ones. Odd. I've looked at the WeeStrom, but I can't stand the 19" front tire or the fact that it's more a touring bike. I need something I can really lean in the corners.

Check out this thread. I swapped ride time with another SV owner back in Feb.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-trade-2007-newer-fz6-time-05-sv650-time.html

Thank you mellowfelow! That guy's pretty funny though, "3rd generation"; there are only 2 gens for SV's.
The comparison is great. As for the SV losing guts after 7K, once you get used to it, you realize you're right around the corner from it's top end. It pulls all the way to 10K, you just get a feeling of more resistance from it because it's a twin. It was the same with my 500R. I'd take it up to 6K, but it'd feel like it's straining, then you keep twisting and just HANG ON! For a little 50hp parallel-twin, it really moved in the higher rpm range.

I really like the FZ6. I mean I love the low end torque of the SV, but to be honest, it inspires hooligan behaviour! I actually like having to rev a bike a little to get to the power.
Few more questions; How is city traffic with an FZ6? If you need to move, does it take a second to build a little oomph? How about splitting lanes with those wide mirrors?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your feedback!

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Dang!! :rockon:

However, his body lean is not good at all. And sneakers on a lean that has your toes that close to pavement?! :eek:

You said you had an SV and a WeeStrom?

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, my riding position and gear leave a lot to be desired, but it works for me. But, I never had problems with dragging my toes unless I left my foot under the shifter.

I had an 06 SV. Looked just like yours except it was blue. I traded it in on the 08 Strom. I loved the Strom and only sold it because I wanted a four wheeler. I managed to buy an 02 Honda Rancher and an 05 FZ6 with the money I made on the Strom.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, that's you? That's a really nice lean, the most I've seen on a Strom. You had the passenger pegs down and it looks like those are really close to the ground as well! You should definitely look into getting some good moto-specific boots. :thumbup:

I've definitely noticed that Strom's are more expensive used than SV's and a lot of FZ6's as well, but to get a 4-wheeler and a FZ6 for the price of one Strom?! Good deal!

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, the strom was the best handling bike I've owned. Well, let me rephrase that. It would do the things I asked of it the most comfortably. I could easily touch the pegs when riding, which I couldn't do without scaring the crap out of myself on the SV. Parking lot manuevering was also a lot easier on the strom. It was much smoother at low RPM than the SV. The SV was very jerky and required a lot of clutch work even after making an adjustment to what I think was the TPS (it's been awhile). On the strom, I could easily ride a circle inside of two parking spots. I don't know why, but it felt like the center of gravity was a lot lower. Almost as if I were sitting lower on the bike, although this can't be true. The bike was a lot taller and more top heavy. The SV took about 2 1/2 in the same lot. I always felt like I was sitting more on top of it, leaning out towards the front of the bike. The strom definitely isn't the prettiest bike out there. Some even call it ugly. But, after riding it awhile, the looks really grew on me. Funny thing, I got the more compliments on that "ugly" bike than any other. I liked having something outside of the norm. Harley's and crotch rockets are a dime a dozen. It was definitely different. Once, I actually had a guy at work ask me "Is that a motorcycle??" That definitley says a lot that I was able to sell it for enough to get the four wheeler and the FZ6. Unfortunatley, I forgot to take the tag off when I sold it and the guy hasn't mailed it back yet, so I haven't been able to switch it over to the FZ6. I hope once I get this one tagged that I'll enjoy it as much as the Strom.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode my SV down one of my favorite twisty roads, I get really annoyed by this bike. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be putting it up for sale soon.

The torque is nice, sure, unless you're revving it too much while going through all the corners. Let off the throttle while it's at 6K rpm is just asking to be jerked back and forth. I want a relatively smoother application of power, among other things and the FZ6 seems to fit the bill nicely.

How many miles does the engine usually get if well taken care of? I seen an '04 FZ6 that a guy is selling, has 33K miles on it, the valves were adjusted at 30K miles, seems to have been taken care of, asking $2400 obo. Is 33K miles too much? I know the 07+ FZ6's fixed a few problems the earlier models had right? Also, why do prices fluctuate so much? I've seem 05's going for $4K, and 07's going for $3500-$3800. It's not mileage either, it's just like some people ask more than others. I've come across FZ1's, '05, with some miles on them for less than $5K too, so that's really :confused:.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I also realized I've past 10K miles riding motorcycles!! :rockon:

Can't wait to get an FZ6 and rack up a lot more!

06fz6green

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my 06 with 5400 miles and scorpion cans for 3200 just look around theres always someone that is needin money lol

as for the v-strom i ride with an older dude that has a 108,000 miles on his and only replaced the fuel pump he loves it and has the centerstand flat lol they def lean his is a 1000 though

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, do I know those 'Strom's lean, after yesterday! I was coming back down the mountain, being cautious because there was lot's of rocks and sand in the apexes and lots of blind corners. A blue 'Strom came up on me and I let him pass, that guy was leaning it pretty damn good! :rockon:

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone in SoCA willing to swap bikes for a short ride? I'd still like to ride an FZ6 before I decide to sell my SV. :thumbup: